April 2014

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Re: April 2014

Post by Jack Harrison »

Well done. I have never seen a White Admiral larva.

Is the fact that it is 3rd instar already suggestive of an early season for White Admiral?

Jack
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Excellent find of the White Admiral larva. Hope I get to see it. On my home patch the Wall Brown numbers continue to grow slowly with 3 having a battle this morning. Probably 5 in total seen. The pupa is changing almost daily and another nearly fully grown larva found. Dingy and Grizzled Skipper numbers also growing. Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock larvae together in a area of nettles nearby. Computer taking much longer to repair which is a little frustrating.
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

We had 48 sightings of about 30 different Pearl-bordered Frits at Murrayton nr. Looe this afternoon(19th April)!! 1 of the female Pearls was egglaying too....1 egg on underside of Dog Violet leaf and 1 laid on underside of a Celedine leaf right next to a Dog Violet plant. Access to cliff path only with permission through the Monkey Sanctuary (Private) as cliff path closed! Had 3 x Dingy Skippers & 1 x Small Copper, 5 Wall Browns, 8 Speckled Woods, 20+ Peacocks, 1 x Comma, 1 x Large White & 11+ Holly Blues too!! What an afternoon!!!!!!!! Happy days!! Cheers....Lee Slaughter (Par, Cornwall). :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8)
Coopera

Post by Coopera »

Found 4 Orange-Tip eggs yesterday at Kingston Lacy, Dorset.
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

My thanks to Pawpawsaurus, David M, William, Neil, Jack and Badger Bob for their appreciation. The attached photograph shows the larva more in context with its surroundings and may be helpful to others searching out this insect. I apologise in advance if I am teaching anyone to suck eggs but it can be tricky to find and I find it is easier to look for its feeding signs (which can be seen in the photo) in the first instant. When not feeding, the larva will rest away from the leaf cluster often in a 'tail and head up' posture. It is worth remembering that the larva is a shade loving insect and I have found that it is a waste of time searching lush honeysuckle growth in full or partial sunshine. The larva is much more likely to be found on very wispy growth with only a few leaf clusters on the stem and well into the shade.....the sort of growth that you might walk past without noticing......then starts the problem of trying to get a half decent photograph in subdued light and with automatic focus!
Attachments
White Admiral (larval feeding signs) 19.4.14 Bedgebury, Kent. Downland boy.JPG
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Well done on the White Admiral larva - great pictures.

I saw my first ever adult White Admiral back when I was a lad on a family picnic in Bedgebury Pinetum.

Best wishes

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Coopera

Post by Coopera »

Mikhail wrote:Sorry to bore you with more Clouded Yellows, but I couldn't resist this pair on 17 April. Many people have remarked on the scarcity of Red Admirals this spring; my only sighting this year was in early March. However, on 16 April I spotted this folded leaf which contained a plump Red Admiral caterpillar, which is probably indicative of overwintering in the larval stage once again.
I didn't realise Red Admiral larvae could overwinter? Have there been cases of this before..
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Coopera wrote:I didn't realise Red Admiral larvae could overwinter?
In general, they don't; our cold winters (when we have cold winters!) kill them off.
Coopera wrote:Have there been cases of this before..
Yes - Nick Bowles (Upper Thames) and I both observed this in 2006 (I think!), as noted in British Wildlife magazine where Nick and Richard Fox (BC) have a regular roundup of butterfly and moth sightings. I'm sure there are other records of this too.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Grizzled and Dingy Skippers out at Denbies, Surrey today. :D

Photos to follow in my diary.

Lee
Coopera

Post by Coopera »

In general, they don't; our cold winters (when we have cold winters!) kill them off.

Yes - Nick Bowles (Upper Thames) and I both observed this in 2006 (I think!), as noted in British Wildlife magazine where Nick and Richard Fox (BC) have a regular roundup of butterfly and moth sightings. I'm sure there are other records of this too.

Cheers,

- Pete[/quote]

Oh right, but it is possible.. that's interesting! I'll have to keep an eye out next winter for them, thankyou for that.
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Jack Harrison wrote:Well done. I have never seen a White Admiral larva.

Is the fact that it is 3rd instar already suggestive of an early season for White Admiral?

Jack

Hi Jack, to be honest, I'm not too sure. As ever, an increase in the rate of larval development will depend on continuing good weather. Frohawk says that the White Admiral larva reaches full growth after 4 moults and so 'my' larva has some way to go yet with another 2 moults and then pupation. I will certainly follow its progress in the coming weeks.
Downland boy
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Hi,

A couple if Pics from Noar Hill the weekend
Duke of Burgundy
Duke of Burgundy
Glow-worm Larvae
Glow-worm Larvae
Cheers

Andy
nomad

Post by nomad »

Andy - nice Picture of a Duke on cowslip, looks like a female. :)
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Heavy rain today until mid afternoon when I went to see how the Wall Brown pupa was doing. The larva that I stumbled across yesterday was in the same spot complete with rain drops!! The pupa had changed yet again but it was some time before an adult butterfly was seen and this was a smart female Wall Brown. After this 3 males seen and one Small Tortoiseshell. Unfortunately the weather improved too late for the skippers to come out. Pictures from the last week will eventually be on my PD soon I hope.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Many Small Coppers at Dungeness today
IMG_9897.JPG
And many more to come by the look of things!
IMG_9851.JPG
I failed to find any Grizzled Skippers in the trapping area but it shouldn't be long before they start appearing if this fine weather continues.

Happy Hunting

Hoggers
David M

Post by David M »

Saw a Small Blue this afternoon at Crymlyn Burrows in Swansea (which sadly evaded my camera), along with the following:

Green Veined White 20-30
Orange Tip 10-15 (4 females)
Peacock 6
Small Tortoiseshell 3
Brimstone 2 (1 male, 1 female)
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

My annual pilgrimage to Marsland (North Devon/Cornwall Border - between Hartland and Bude) in Mid to late April for the excellent population there of Pearl Bordered Fritillaries.
Met up again with the Warden, Gary Pilkington, and exchanged our sightings and observations.
I saw them in four different areas, and the numbers were very good considering they had only emerged on 14th.
Marsland is a very large area, and finding the best spots requires a little luck or local knowledge.
I am happy to give information if people p.m. me.

Roger
Attachments
IMG_6736.JPG
IMG_6712.JPG
IMG_6646.JPG
Cheers

Roger
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

David M wrote: Saw a Small Blue this afternoon at Crymlyn Burrows in Swansea
:shock: That's an early one? Nice spot, David. I am looking forward to finding my local colony in a couple of weeks. Maybe I should look now!

Best wishes,

Lee
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

His Grace (at least 7) seen at Noar Hill, Hampshire, this morning along with Brimstone (one egg laying), male Orange Tip, Green Veined White, Peacock and Dingy Skipper. Also my first Cuckoo of the year. Marsh Tit also seen.

7 Wood White, Green Veined White, Brimstone, Orange Tip, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock and Speckled Wood seen at Oaken Wood, Surrey, this afternoon.

Photos to follow in my diary.

Lee
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely shot of the Duke on Cowslip Andy. I'm intrigued by the Glow worm larva. Where was that taken?

Return to “Sightings”