Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

Great sequence of shots Goldie :D I'm still at the seeing Orange-Tips - they're being far too active at the moment for me to get shots.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzal, I was lucky ,it was a cloudy yet sunny day and of course when they land in front of you an open invitation :D
Your bound to get some shots soon, I'm looking forward to seeing them ,your pic's are always good. Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

On Tuesday the 15th of April I went up to Gaits Barrow for the day. It was cool in the morning but the afternoon was hot. I took the Purple trail because I'd seen the Green Hair Streaks there last year and although it was the middle of April thought I may be lucky, I was.
I was also suprised nothing appeared to move and I could see no signs of them when suddenly this HS flew just in front of me you can tell by my photo's he was suprised has well :D
We went looking for the Duke then but no sign of them yet I thought not when I saw no roped off area, anyway I also saw Speckled Wood, Brimstone and a Green Veined White that didn't want to be filmed :D
The day after Wed, I went to Hall-Lee-Brook and there I got a shot of the GVW together with campanion :D
On Friday the 18th I was back at HLB where I saw more ORT's GVW's STS,PeaC, SW, and then a flash of blue, I couldn't miss this photo was my thinking and followed it along the edge until it landed :D I was very pleased because last year I saw nothing of them up here at all.
Every chance I get I'm over at HLB now looking to see if any thing new turns up, then I hope to go back to GB next week or the week after because I'm sure the Dukes will be out soon , may be even the PBF,( I'm forever the the Optimist) :D Goldie :)
Attachments
Holly Blue HLB 18th April 2014 IMG_4927.JPG
Speckled Wood HLB 16th April 2014 IMG_4855.JPG
GVW HLB 16th April 2014 IMG_4876.JPG
GHS GB 15th April 2014 IMG_4818.JPG
GHS GB 15th April 2014 IMG_4835.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Sounds like a great day,Goldie. You've certainly had the best of the weather,it's been raining all day down south!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Holly Blue shot Goldie :mrgreen: They are tricky butterflies because of their habits so you can never really tell when you're going to come across them :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzal, just been looking at your Photo's and they're great as usual :D I went back to HLB for a quick look a round yesterday, although the weather was good the sun was hazey and the Butterflies reluctant to settle for long, they were all after partners :D I finally found this pair and nothing was going to distrub them :D I also couldn't resist taking this shot of a Peacock, they were there in quite big numbers, so were the Speckled Wood, and Green Veined White has you can see :D

Today Essex Buzzard we've had your rain :( It's the first we've had during the day for a while, but we've certainly had cold winds up here, Hall-Lee-Brook is sheltered in parts so if the sun's shining and your out of the wind you can still get the Butterflies, hope the weather improves for us all Goldie :D
Attachments
Peacock HLB 21st April 2014 IMG_4999.JPG
GVWS M HLB 21st April 2014 IMG_4998.JPG
GVWS M HLB 21st April 2014 IMG_4995.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Great mating shot - I was almost blushing :oops:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I thought it was too Wurzal, blushing aside it's great to see them like that, it means there will be more GVW too come :D
Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've been out and about alot lately the weather has been too nice to do too much house work, so what I've had to do I've done very quickly . :D
I think I've got most of the early BF now, I want the Wall and the Small Copper next, don't think I'll get the Duke just yet, I plan on a visit to Gaits Barrow maybe next week or the week after, the PBF could be out then as well, mean time i've been taking photo's of the Orange Tip, Small White, GVW, and SPW,( how much is enough ):lol: I can honestly say I've never seen so Many OT's at Hall-Lee-Brook before, I can't keep a way :D I've just put a few pic's on for fun because i've had great fun taking them Goldie :D
Attachments
GVW HLB 27th April 2014 IMG_5147.JPG
Small White BG On Narcissus 27th April 2014IMG_5169.JPG
Small White Flying off HLB 26th April 2014 IMG_5048.JPG
OT HLB 27th April 2014 IMG_5136.JPG
OT HLB 27th April 2014 IMG_5129.JPG
OT HLB 29th April 2014 IMG_5200.JPG
OT HLB 27th April 2014 IMG_5153.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Enjoyment is what it's all about Goldie, else why would we do it :D Thank you for sharing :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Loving the 'take-off' shots Goldie they're ace :D :mrgreen: Good luck with the Dukes et al :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I agree Pauline, it's great fun. :D

Thanks Wurzal, I like that one as well, I've just read siting for Lanc's and the Duke is out at Gaits Barrow so off I go :D Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I enjoyed your OT pics, too, Goldie :D

Especially the 'upside down' one (IMG_5200.JPG) showing the wonderful coloured pattern through the hind-wings. A really unusual and fascinating photo :)

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Mike, I think he was ajusting him self to a take off when I took the Photo :D I couldn't tell which was which at first, he looked kind of, inside out :lol:
It's great when you can get some shots of BF before they become too active, I'm still looking for the female's ( good excuse to go back) :D Thanks again Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I went to HLB again yesterday and at last the female OT's were out . I spent a good hour over there taking photo's and dodging the horse fly's, they were out in force and a real pest.

I got some shots of the OT's Mating, some are ok but because the male seemed to do a dance around the female for a while some or abit blurred, I couldn't make out if the Female in one couple was rejecting the male, they didn't seem to mate like the other Butterflies do, I'm no expert has you can tell on Buterflies :D

The Females were fresh out not a mark on any of them, I took a shot of one about to land, I've put it in to seperate the two couples. It was a fasinating hour . Goldie :D
Attachments
OTF HLB 3rd May 2014 IMG_5282.JPG
OT'S Mating HLB 3rd May 2014 IMG_5303.JPG
OT'S Mating HLB 3rd May 2014 IMG_5302.JPG
OTF Taking Off HLB 3rd May 2014 IMG_5332.JPG
OT's Mating HLB 3rd may 2014 IMG_5343.JPG
OT's Mating HLB 3rd May 2014 IMG_5342.JPG
OT's Mating HLB 3rd may 2014 IMG_5341.JPG
OT's Mating HLB 3rd may  2014 IMG_5340.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Fascinating shots, Goldie - they're incredible acrobats!

PS - I've planted some Black-eyed Susans in the garden(Rudebekia) so I hope I get as many butterflies on them in late Summer as you did on yours!

Best wishes

Hoggers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Hogger's, your right they are a pleasure to watch.
I keep going over to HLB but I can't find any Small Copper's like your's ,they're great photo's you've got :mrgreen: I think it's abit too early a round here because the OT females have only just come out but I'll keep looking :D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The weather here has been awful, I can cope with the Showers but the temp's have been really low only 9c in the Lakes when it's been 13 or 14 c here ,so I'll have to wait for the High we're suppose to get next week before looking for Dukes and PBF. I did however manage a Pic of a Large White and a Green VW in my garden at the Beginning of the week and thats about it sadly Goldie :)
Attachments
Large White BG 6th May 2014 IMG_5352.JPG
Large White BG 6th may 2014 IMG_5357.JPG
Green Veined White BG 6th May 2014 IMG_5358.JPG

maverick

Post by maverick »

I always checkout your Post's Goldie,being from the same area I need to know what I'm missing out on and what's about in the gardens
I too have spotted my first confirmed large white in my garden today
I just need to get up to Gait Barrows to see my first GHS
I haven't seen any in or around Warrington

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely photos in your recent posts Goldie, love the Orange-tips :D

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”