Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by David M »

Excellent images, Neil.

You seem to be several steps ahead of we peasants in S.Wales.

I'm even more eager than before to do justice to these species round my way this weekend.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Katrina and David. They make particularly nice subjects when they're still so fresh. :D
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Precious Pearls

On Wednesday afternoon (16th April) I visited Rewell Wood as it seemed about the right time for the first Pearl-bordered Fritillary of the season. I found 4 males almost immediately, as it was that time of day when they abandon the search for females and collect on ride-side Bugle flowers for a meal before bedtime. One or two were slightly 'chipped', so I suspect the first emerged here on 15th April.

Today (17th April) I returned to Rewell Wood and surveyed a large area, finding Pearl-bordered Fritillary (10), Brimstone (25), Peacock (13), Speckled Wood (10), Orange Tip (8), Green-veined White (7), Small Tortoiseshell (3), Holly Blue (2), Comma (1) and my first Speckled Yellow moth of the season. The bluebells were magnificent and are already approaching peak, this year slightly ahead of the beech leaves.
UKB PBF, Rewell Wood 16.4.14.jpg
UKB Rewell Wood bluebells 17.4.14.jpg
UKB PBF Rewell Wood 17.4.14.jpg
Access to Rewell Wood: Due to problems with cars interfering with the passage of timber vehicles, the amount of parking at the southern end of the wood (from the A27) has been reduced to a two car bay on the right-hand side before reaching the gate (SU98280730). From here walk north past the sawmill to the junction at SU984077 and turn left. You should see PBF (when numbers build in a couple of days time) on the edge of the coppice block between 200 and 350 metres along this track. At the furthest point (SU980079) there is a right turn, which you can take and walk uphill until reaching the junction of tracks and paths at SU984087. There are several blocks on the right of this path with PBF. If there is no parking available you can enter Rewell Wood via Fairmile Bottom on the A29, parking at SU983090. From here take the footpath across the open grassland area and up the slope through the trees, arriving at the aforementioned junction of tracks and paths at SU984087. Simply reverse the route described earlier. The Norfolk Estate has requested that visitors stick to this route and other public rights of way, which can be viewed on both online and hard copy maps. As always it is best to see and photograph this species towards the end of a warm, sunny day, when they will emerge from the coppice blocks to feed and sunbathe on rides and tracks. PBF at Houghton Forest: This species will emerge in 7 - 10 days time at Houghton Forest, in and around the large clear-fell at SU994115. There are numerous open access tracks and paths around and across this area.
Last edited by Neil Hulme on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill shots Neil :D I see that you're forecasting them emerging at another site in about 7 days time - any ideas on an emergence date for Bentley Wood - was thinking of going next weekend but I'm trying to rack my brain to recall how far behind we are this far west?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Wurzel,
I believe the weather is set to turn cooler and cloudier, so they might be out by next weekend, but I think it depends on the alleged 'warming up' from mid week onwards. I have little faith in these Snake Oil Salesmen ... sorry, I mean meteorological experts.
BWs, Neil

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

:lol: Yes I often think it would be a lot more accurate if one of them would just stuck their head out of a window! :roll:

robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

Lovely pictures - still with a Lumix?

Rob

"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Rob,
I can't see myself changing from the Lumix FZ38 for a while yet. I bought a 'nearly new' example off eBay last year, so that I have one in reserve for when my original finally claps out. I have great faith in this camera for the specific purpose of butterfly and flower photography.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Sussex Dukes Off The Mark

This afternoon (18th April) I visited Heyshott Escarpment to see if the first Duke of Burgundy had emerged, despite believing it to still be a day or two too early. The Pearl-bordered Fritillary has only just started at Rewell Wood, and this event usually precedes the appearance of His Grace by a week or more. On the lower levels of the reserve I saw a Holly Blue, Orange Tip, Brimstone and a couple of Speckled Wood. As I reached the more open grassland area there was little activity in the chill breeze and I counted only a couple of Dingy and a single Grizzled Skipper before reaching the plateau.

However, as I dropped down into some sheltered pits I found a perfect male Duke waiting for me. His lack of agility and mint appearance suggested a very recent emergence. He was sitting within a few metres of where the two or three (at best) males used to congregate at Heyshott when the Duke was teetering on the brink of local extinction, before operations began to save it here in 2007. Bearing in mind the effort I've put into conserving this species on my own patch, it is hardly surprising that this sighting meant much more to me than the half dozen Dukes I saw at Noar Hill on 15th April. Now that their flight season is underway I just hope the weather is as kind to the Duke, PBF and Wood White as it has been to the Small Tortoiseshell, Brimstone and Orange Tip.
UKB Grizzled Skipper, Heyshott 18.4.14.jpg
Grizzled Skipper
UKB Heyshott Duke lek18.4.14.jpg
The original Duke lek at Heyshott

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Me too. The weather has been good this spring-so far. But we are now nearing the 'business end' of the spring season,when the weather really matters.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the info Neil - but go steady there - you might wake the Hibernating Harrison with that derision of a weather man :wink: Good to see the Grizzles - I got some myself today. Here's hoping the weather doesn't do a 2012 on us :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

John W

Post by John W »

Hi Neil, presumably the Dukes at Kithurst Hill tend to emerge a bit later due to it being higher up?

Cheers
John

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi John,
Yes, Kithurst (Springhead) is a late site. Given 'average' spring weather between now and then, local ETA is c.26th/27th April for this year.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Easter Skipper Hunt

On Easter Sunday (20th April) I went out looking for roosting spring Skippers, despite the really atrocious weather. By the time I reached Chantry Hill near Storrington it was raining hard and a thick mist was filling the downland coombes. To make matters worse I'd left my glasses at home! However, I was confident of success; once you get to know the typical locations in which they roost, a systematic search usually locates a few.

It wasn't long before I'd found half a dozen Grizzled Skipper, including a pair sharing a 'hardhead'. Despite providing a beautiful composition it proved almost impossible to get a good image, due to low light levels. The Panasonic Lumix is a brilliant camera for butterfly photography under average or better light conditions, but the small sensor means that image quality falls to pieces on very dull days. In the end I spent the entire day hoping that the sun would appear before we were due to head off to a birthday party at 6.30 pm. At 5 pm the skies started to brighten and I made a mad dash back to the Downs .... they were still there.
UKB Grizzled pair at roost, Chantry Hill 20.4.14.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Well worth the return trip, Neil. :D

They look a bit sad with their droopy antennae. Mind you, so would I if I had been out in the rain all day!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Lee,
I managed a few more shots which are better illuminated, taken just before the sun dipped below the crest of the Downs above, but I'll save those for a 'rainy day'.
Those antennae droop like that as they fall asleep, usually within a minute or two of landing when collecting to roost in poor weather or at bedtime on a sunny evening.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Quid Pro Quo

After photographing a female Emperor Moth at Springhead Hill this morning (22nd April) I gave accurate directions to its location to Colin Knight, who had only just started his Transect walk at Mill Hill when I 'phoned him. I then moved on to Rewell Wood to survey for Pearl-bordered Fritillary, seeing a total of 30 males over two areas. Whilst there I received a call from Colin, informing me that he had found the Emperor. The even better news was that it was now being attended by a male! With the nursery run looming I just had time to speed back to Springhead to snap the happy couple!
UKB Emperor Moth female, Springhead Hill 22.4.14.jpg
UKB PBF2 Rewell 22.4.14.jpg
UKB PBF1 Rewell 22.4.14.jpg
UKB Emperor Moth pairing, Springhead Hill 22.4.14.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Neil, you never cease to amaze.

Fantastic shot of the two Emperors.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks David, but Colin must take credit for alerting me to the sexy saturniids!
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Dukes & Dingies

Today (23rd April) required much patience, as the wayward weather forecast failed to predict the complete lack of sunshine over Heyshott from mid morning to late afternoon, not to mention the sporadic drizzle. Luckily, just enough warmth occasionally bled through the clouds to get a few butterflies airborne, but it was well after 2 pm before things really got going. Earlier in the day I met UKBers Susie (plus Butterfly Hound) and Katrina, both of whom had already located a few Dukes. Fortunately, Katrina had the location of a freshly emerged, roosting male marked (thanks!), so it wasn't long before I had some reasonable shots in the bag.

Later in the afternoon I started to find a few more Duke of Burgundy and many more Dingy Skipper, finishing with counts of 10 and 23 respectively. There is clearly a sizeable hatch of both species underway and it would be well worth a visit this coming weekend if the weather behaves. Other species were in short supply, with just single Grizzled Skipper, Red Admiral, Orange Tip and Speckled Wood seen.
UKB DoB Heyshott 23.4.14.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”