Discussion forum for sightings.
Craggy

Post by Craggy »

I,m new to butterflies,so on a steep learning curve.Today I saw Orange tips,Peacocks,and in a churchyard what I think must have been a Holly Blue.I'm on my boat on the river Wey near Pyrford.What else should I be on the look out for?
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: New member

Post by Pete Eeles »

Craggy wrote:I,m new to butterflies,so on a steep learning curve.Today I saw Orange tips,Peacocks,and in a churchyard what I think must have been a Holly Blue.I'm on my boat on the river Wey near Pyrford.What else should I be on the look out for?
Welcome Craggy! Yes, that will have been a Holly Blue. You should also get to see plenty of Green-veined White which, like the Orange-tip, is a lover of damp grassland. Most of the "Vanessids" should also pay you a visit (which includes the Peacock) - namely Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral and Comma. And lots more as the year unfolds! You can "drill down" to particular sites from here:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/sites.php

You should also be on the lookout for leaks :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Welcome Craggy. Years ago there was a nice pub near Pyrford lock on the Wey. Perhaps you should be looking out for that :wink:
David M

Post by David M »

Hi Craggy. Sounds like you're having a great time.

I guess Small Coppers and Speckled Woods should be the ones to look out for, along with the mid-spring Pierids (Large/Small/Green Veined White, Orange Tip & Brimstone).
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Hi Craggy, I am also a relatively new member and I'm local to you.
You are not far from where I work when in the office. I remember walking along the canal path near there one night with my cousin, (I think about this time of year or a little later) and had to watch out for and make sure I didn't keep on treading on toads which were on the damp grass !
Thanks for the information Pete.
If it was in a churchyard, it might have been a holy blue. ( :( joke).
Kind Regards,
Craggy

Post by Craggy »

Pauline wrote:Welcome Craggy. Years ago there was a nice pub near Pyrford lock on the Wey. Perhaps you should be looking out for that :wink:
Yes,it's called the Anchor,next to Pyrford Lock.Very popular with what is called gongoozlers,people who watch boaters and wait for incidents to happen.
Craggy

Post by Craggy »

Thank you all for your help and jokes.
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Hi Craggy, I am not sure if you will read this again but on Friday 18th April I walked approx. 6 miles from Byfleet to Send along the Wey Navigation Tow Path past Pyrford recording the butterflies I saw along the way. It is the first post in my personal diary if you are interested?
best wishes,
Philip
Kind Regards,

Return to “Sightings”