Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Hoggers

Post by Maximus »

Great Orange-tip photos Hoggers. I thought at first that your mystery egg could be a Dunnock's, but using your car key as a size guide it looks too big, so I think it could well be a Starling's egg.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Many thanks for all your comments and for the help identifying Hoggers' Mystery Easter Egg!!

We had glorious warm and sunny weather today. I decided to go looking for Specklies and so headed for the woods.

I was greeted by the sight of a million Bluebells
IMG_9455.JPG
Absolutely stunning, with Celandines, Primroses, Dog Violets, Wood Anemones and Stitchworts thrown in too.

The wood echoed with the songs of Chiffchaffs, Black Caps and Nightingales. What a fabulous time of year this is!

And then I came across my first Speckled Woods of 2014
IMG_9445.JPG
Six in all
IMG_9461.JPG
Marvellous!

I also found two Commas
IMG_9416.JPG
IMG_9414.JPG
And a few Green-veined Whites
IMG_9398.JPG
There were plenty of Small Tortoiseshells and Peacocks on my walk back but today I saw only two Orange Tips, both in too much of a rush to pose for any photographs.

At home I was delighted to see these courting Peacocks
IMG_9465.JPG
And a beautiful Holly Blue
IMG_9473.JPG
IMG_9471.JPG
Dare I say that this is looking like it's going to be a cracking year for butterflies and for those of us who love them?!

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Specklies and and I really like the Holly Blue shots - they really put the sighting into perspective :D :mrgreen: Here's hoping the year meets up to expectations :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I agree some great Speckie shots there Hoggers :D And you got some Holly Blues, it's about the only butterfly that's out that I've yet to see - other than some Dukes.

B'saurus

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Many thanks for the comments Wurzel and B'Saurus, much appreciated.

I got home around 2pm on this bright and breezy day, went into the garden and bumped into an Orange Tip
IMG_9532.JPG
He took off from the Wallflower but instead of flying away he settled on a near-by bush and began to open his wings, so I was able to get a few photos before he finally went on his way
IMG_9550.JPG
IMG_9552.JPG
IMG_9553.JPG
IMG_9555.JPG
While out in the garden I also saw a Speckled Wood and a Holly Blue.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Over the last few weeks I've been clearing a border in the garden with a view to planting a flower bed. I made sufficient progress this afternoon to at last be able to put in the first Wallflowers, three in all. Once they were in the ground I gave them some water then I sat back to admire my efforts (I find the "sitting back and admiring" bit to be the part of gardening I do the best..)

Literally within minutes a Holly Blue appeared and began mudpuddling on the wet soil!

I ran indoors to fetch my camera and the butterfly was there still by the time I got outside again
IMG_9580.JPG
But not for long: it took off, flew up the garden and just when I though it had gone it came back and landed within my reach on a bush
IMG_9563.JPG
IMG_9562.JPG
Nor did it stay there for very long either so I had fun trying to get some "in flight" pictures
IMG_9567.JPG
IMG_9577.JPG
IMG_9575.JPG
They are such fidgets!

David M

Post by David M »

Even though they're not rare at all, the sight of a Holly Blue is always exciting. Their behaviour is just SO much different to all the other UK Blues.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hoggers wrote:... find the "sitting back and admiring" bit to be the part of gardening I do the best...
I can relate to that :wink:

Love the photos of the Holly Blue in flight Hoggers.

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Hoggers :D I saw my first of the year today and I totally agree with David - they're a welcome sight like nothing else :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Today I teamed up with Brother Hoggles for a Green Hairstreak Hunt on Wye Downs. It wasn't long before we found one
IMG_9610.JPG
Over the course of a couple of hours we saw 7 of them, some fidgety but others more approachable
IMG_9617.JPG
It's fun to see how the light plays on their wings
IMG_9644.JPG
IMG_9648.JPG
IMG_9656.JPG
IMG_9650.JPG
I'd never noticed the bluey tracery on the hindwing veins before
IMG_9651.JPG
Looking at a close up I could see what appear to be coloured squiggle-like structures on the wings
IMG_9697.JPG
If they really do exist and are not aberrations of my camera I'd guess they're responsible for the iridescent effect.

Anyway, I know nothing whatsoever about science so to quickly change the subject,here's a photograph showing how the presence of a tiny little coloured butterfly can floor a fully grown man
IMG_9659.JPG
Brother Hoggles at work!

Whilst up on the Downs we also saw our first Dingy Skippers of the year
IMG_9668.JPG
IMG_9687.JPG
Two in all.

Other butterflies seen were two Peacocks and this female Brimstone
IMG_9600.JPG
All in all a very successful visit.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

On my dog walk this morning I managed to find a single Green-veined White despite the chilly wind
P1050742.JPG
I guessed it would be even colder by the coast but decided to visit Dungeness today with my fingers crossed that the Small Coppers would be out. I need not have worried: I came across my first of the year within feet of where I'd parked
IMG_9702.JPG
IMG_9712.JPG
I was there for about two hours and stopped counting at 30
IMG_9728.JPG
Bearing in mind that more than half of the site was submerged for a considerable period during this year's flooding, such a strong Spring emergence is heartening
IMG_9737.JPG
They were doing what Small Coppers do best, bustling about after one another in feisty little dogfights then heading for the next available flower
IMG_9756.JPG
IMG_9740.JPG
IMG_9729.JPG
In spite of their war-like nature I like to think they have an essentially sunny disposition.

I also saw two Peacocks and several Small Tortoiseshells
IMG_9762.JPG
On a different note, when I checked my "Blue Tit Cam" this morning I discovered that she's laid 6 eggs
P1050734.JPG
I'll be keeping a close eye on her. Last year was pretty awful, only one chick out of the eight survived. Signs are that this year will be better: I've already seen good numbers of the little green caterpillars that they feed on.

Returning to butterflies for a moment,I'm delighted that the Small Coppers are back; they're my favourite butterfly and I've missed them
IMG_9746.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

I love Small Coppers too, Hoggers, and hope to see my first of the year anytime now.

Great images.

William

Post by William »

Great stuff Hoggers - I too saw my first Small Coppers today, always a wonderful suprise :D

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

A fantastic run of reports and photos Hoggers, Spring really has sprung down in these parts. Can't wait to see what you post up next :D

B'saurus

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff with the Small Coppers Hoggers :mrgreen: - I missed your previous posting :oops: or was it because it featured a Green thingy quite heavily :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

It rained yesterday and I was holed up indoors all day (not even the garden centres were open!) so when I woke this morning to see the sun shining bright I decided a butterfly expedition was in order. I headed down to Dungeness to see the Small Coppers and to have a look for Grizzled Skippers.

Well, I had a long search for Grizzlies and didn't find a single one but there were compensations!
IMG_9808.JPG
IMG_9793.JPG
IMG_9795.JPG
Gorgeous fresh Small Coppers almost everywhere I looked
IMG_9817.JPG
IMG_9853.JPG
IMG_9825.JPG
And I was delighted to find a mating pair
IMG_9877.JPG
IMG_9886.JPG
IMG_9897.JPG
Which bodes well.

There were Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells and Small Whites too
IMG_9910.JPG
On the way home I stopped off at Orlestone Forest where I saw Speckled Woods, Orange Tips and about 12 Brimstones
IMG_9922.JPG
IMG_9932.JPG
IMG_9938.JPG
IMG_9941.JPG
Love clearly is in the air at the moment!

A memorable day's butterflying
IMG_9851.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Nice spring images, Hoggers, especially the vivid caeruleopunctata.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A smashing selection of Small Copper Images and I love the Brimstone sequence, great stuff :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Hoggers

Absolutely lovely Small Coppers especially the one with blue spots and the mating pair :D I have not seen any of my local population yet :(

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Copper shots :D Like many others I'm still Copperless so far this year, it seems that my region is about a week behind counties further east.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”