Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Maximus

Post by Pauline »

Absolutely stunning!

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Totally agree with Pauline :D :mrgreen: By the way have a word with the OT's, they still haven't got here yet :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Pauline.

Thanks Wurzel, you must have seen them by now :wink:

We recently managed a visit to Noar Hill on a glorious spring afternoon. As we walked up the lane the Badger sett had bedding drying outside, a sure sign it was occupied.

IMG_0235.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_0239.JPGResize.JPG

As we entered the reserve we were greeted by a Chiffchaff, the first of many. We also heard a Buzzard mew and saw above us a Wake of nine individuals, the most I have ever seen together at once.

IMG_0191.JPGA.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_0227.JPGResize.JPG

As we walked up through the chalk pits we saw many Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells and Brimstones along with several Commas and one very worn Red Admiral. We were treated to a quick flypast by a male Orange-tip but he wasn't stopping for any decent photos.

IMG_0211.JPGResize.JPG
P1080298.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_0223.JPGResize.JPG

We also saw plenty of Bee- Flies (Bombylius major) and although it was fairly easy getting a shot of one on the ground it took longer to get the photos we wanted.

P1080308.JPGResize.JPG
P1080893.JPGResize.JPG

No sign of the Duke yet :cry: :wink:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Yep they got here yesterday :D - but didn't show any signs of stopping :roll: Great shots Mike, especially the Beefly - they're tricky little Bu££ER$ :D The Dukes can't be far away now...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Bee flies seem to be everywhere this spring!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some great photos there Mike, especially that last Bee Fly :D I have these in my garden but haven't managed a really good photo of one yet.

Cheers,

Neil

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

The Bee-flies can be tricky, you just need to find a laid-back BF and its easy. I believe the Dukes are now with us :D :wink:

Bee-flies are everywhere David, I even saw one today in the garden.

Cheers Neil, if they're in your garden it won't be long before you get some cracking shots.

The last couple of days have been spent catching up on those garden jobs which were on hold due to the wet weather. When in the garden I make sure that my camera is near to hand and sometimes this pays off. The first picture is of our last Orange-tip at the point of release.

Female Orange-tip release
Female Orange-tip release

Two male Brimstones paused long enough for a photo.

P1080911.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_1261.JPGResize.JPG

We also found the following larvae which I have so far been unable to ID, does anyone have any ideas, they were both approx 5cm in length.

IMG_1255.JPGResize.JPG
Ist larva
Ist larva
P1080934.JPGResize.JPG
2nd larva
2nd larva

We also had flying visits from, male Orange-tips, Small Whites and Small Tortoiseshells.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

We paid another visit to Noar Hill, once again in brilliant sunshine, although out of the sheltered areas the cool breeze kept the temperature down. After about twenty minutes of searching we found our first Duke of Burgundy of 2014, and how delightful he was.

P1080978.JPGResize.JPG

Walking up through the reserve we found more Dukes.

P1090010.JPGResize.JPG
P1090027.JPGResize.JPG
P1080370.JPGResize.JPG
P1080372.JPGResize.JPG

While looking for Dukes we also found our first Green Hairstreak of the year, what a glorious butterfly this is.

P1080987.JPGResize.JPG
P1090003.JPGResize.JPG

There were lots of Orange-tips to be seen, but most were not hanging around for long. But I got lucky with this male nectaring on a Dandelion.

IMG_1274.JPGB.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_1275.JPGResize.JPG

During our visit we saw a total of 8 Duke of Burgundy (always two males together in each location), 1 Green Hairstreak, 2 Green Veined Whites (also a first of the year), loads of Orange-tips, 6 Peacocks, 6 Small Tortoiseshells and several male and one female Brimstone. All in all we had a great day out in a really fabulous place, which for us means so much. Three firsts for us of the year in one visit!

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I should know the first, but your second caterpillar I think is Old Lady,

Chris

David M

Post by David M »

Great haul for mid-April. It can't be long before Green Hairstreaks are out down my way.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Mike :mrgreen: - looks like you had a great day - hopefully they'll be around my area by Friday :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great photos Mike. I particularly like the first Duke and the first OT - striking!! I'm hoping to go back there soon to see the females :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Chris, it is Old Lady, as you identified. We googled it to make sure and to see what the adult moth would look like.

We were nowhere near a haul like this at this time last year. Just shows what a proper Spring can do. Hope you are seeing them right now in Wales, David.

Cheers Wurzel, I'm sure you will now have seen your first :D

Thanks Pauline, hope you get to see the females.

Our first two Purple Hairstreak larvae, (which were not kept in the fridge) pupated 26 days after hatching. These two larvae had a selection of Oak twigs to move around and feed on but were invariably always together, and appeared to follow one another around.

The first two 24 days after hatching
The first two 24 days after hatching
The lighter coloured larva at 24 days
The lighter coloured larva at 24 days
IMG_1386.JPGResize.JPG
The old larval skin still attached to the pupa
The old larval skin still attached to the pupa
Pupae at 34 days after hatching
Pupae at 34 days after hatching

The Purple Hairstreak larvae we kept in the fridge are well behind these two. Of the original 17 eggs we collected only 5 hatched, some for reasons unknown although others had probably been parasitised.

Our Brown Hairstreak larvae hatched over a period of a week or so and the oldest are now 29 days. We also kept two back in the fridge longer and these have now hatched and are also well behind the others in their development, in fact they are very difficult to find on the potted Blackthorn plant.

IMG_1356.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_1380.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_1377.JPGResize.JPG
Brown Hairstreak larva 29 days after hatching
Brown Hairstreak larva 29 days after hatching

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great account of the Hairstreaks Mike and smashing photos.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Pauline, they are fascinating to observe, always something to see, if you can see them :lol:

The first of the (fridge) Purple Hairstreaks we are rearing moulted again today at 16 days since hatching, I think that means they are in their third instar!

IMG_1407.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_1410.JPGResize.JPG
Purple Hairstreak larva 16 days old, moulting
Purple Hairstreak larva 16 days old, moulting

David M

Post by David M »

This forum is fast becoming a minefield of incredible images.

Superb shots, Mike.

robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

Agreed, incredible pictures like these recently, and the forum is a great example of how modern technology and communications are taking forward our ancient fascination with the natural world,

Rob

"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks David and Rob, I agree the forum is great for displaying images and exchanging information.

The weather for a Bank Holiday Monday was much better than expected today and so we decided on a quick trip out to Wrecclesham to see what was on the wing. Before we left, though, I spotted a female Green-veined White fly into my garden and settle on some Honesty which my mother had given to me yesterday. It was still wilting from the shock of being transplanted into pots, so I was therefore surprised when I took a closer look and found the Green-veined White was ovipositing on the limp Honesty leaves. She laid about half a dozen eggs before departing, which gave me time to grab my camera and take a couple of photos..

The previous egg laid can be seen to  the left and below her wing
The previous egg laid can be seen to the left and below her wing
P1090036.JPGResize.JPG
Nectaring afterwards on Garlic Mustard
Nectaring afterwards on Garlic Mustard
IMG_1460.JPGA.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_1455.JPGResize.JPG

We got to Wrecclesham around two o'clock, but by then the cloud cover had increased and, although it was quite muggy, there weren't many butterflies on the wing. We did see a few Orange Tips, mostly males, and a couple of females, a Green-veined White, a couple of Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells and one Speckled Wood, which settled long enough for a photograph, my first of this species this year..

P1090059.JPGResize.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great Hairstreak reports and Photos Mike, fascinating stuff :D

Cracking shots of the Gv White and eggs too, I particularly like the open wing photo on Garlic Mustard, great stuff.

Cheers,

Neil.

PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Hi,
I really like the Green-veined White pictures. Very special I think. :)
Best wishes,
Philip

Kind Regards,

Return to “Personal Diaries”