William

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
William

Re: William

Post by William »

Thank Wurzel :D I will try and keep everyone posted on the pupae, though I've found when I breed things I have an uncanny ability to miss the emergence!

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
William

Post by William »

Orange Tip Pupa

With every day that passes now, I'm getting closer to my first Orange Tip of the year, I give my home grown pupa three days... :wink:
Orange Tip Pupa - Just over a month ago
Orange Tip Pupa - Just over a month ago
Orange Tip Pupa - About 3 weeks ago
Orange Tip Pupa - About 3 weeks ago
Orange Tip Pupa - 3 Days Ago
Orange Tip Pupa - 3 Days Ago
Orange Tip Pupa - Yesterday
Orange Tip Pupa - Yesterday
Orange Tip Pupa - Today
Orange Tip Pupa - Today

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great sequence of shots William :D Are you hoping that your emerging OT's are going to be your first of the year? If so you must be doing the opposite of me - driving and walking places and purposefully NOT scanning the hedgerows and verges :lol:Currently I have a running tally of near misses - 3 head on, 12 clipping the verge and 6 drifting over cat's eyes and still no OT's - maybe this week some time?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

William

Post by William »

Thanks Wurzel, I think we're quite far behind in West Somerset (due to altitude and general rubbish weather), so I fear that when Osmund emerges he will indeed be my first Orange Tip :lol: . I've managed to catch up with Green - Veined White now, so Orange Tips can't be too far away.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice sequence of Orange-tip pupa shots William :D have you had an emergence yet :?:

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I'm on tenterhooks here William, is there any news?

B'saurus

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

No news from you yet William so I'm thinking nothing yet Goldie :?: :)

William

Post by William »

Thanks guys for all the kind words....I shall put you out of your misery :D :D

William

Post by William »

Osmund Emerges

After a long wait, I was lucky enough to look out of the Kitchen Door yesterday and spot 'Osmund' doing his thing, I felt truly privileged to witness something as beautiful as his emergence, which was surprisingly fast, about 20 seconds.
Orange Tip Pupa - 6 Days before emergence
Orange Tip Pupa - 6 Days before emergence
Orange Tip Pupa - 2 Days before emergence
Orange Tip Pupa - 2 Days before emergence
Orange Tip Pupa - 1 Day before emergence
Orange Tip Pupa - 1 Day before emergence
Orange Tip Pupa - 1.5 hours before emergence
Orange Tip Pupa - 1.5 hours before emergence
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip  - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
I'm always a sucker for close ups - I love the way the yellow and black scales blend to make green, so I took a couple whilst he was freshly - emerged and doddery.
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
His first flight was just over an hour after emergence, revealing suprisingly heavy black markings.
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
I saw my first Orange Tip 3 days before 'Osmund' emerged and they've been a constant presence in the garden since, I think they'll have quite a good year. I've also had my first Holly Blues (which seem to be doing well this year), Brimstones, Small Whites and Green - Veined Whites, so things are well underway.
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Orange Tip - Male
Speckled Wood
Speckled Wood

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Amazing photos of the emerging Osmund!

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Well William, what can I say it was more than worth all of that suspense. Simply stunning :D

Osmund the Orange Tip on the wing at last.

B'saurus

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

The Osmund sequence is outstanding. I'm really impressed, by your pictures and accompanying observations (and I'm not just saying this because you have made kind comments in my own diary! :D ).

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic series of shots William :mrgreen: - the bit that stands out for me is the general wafting around of the proboscis, a bit like a human sticking their tongue out when concentrating :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

William

Post by William »

Thanks Katrina and Butterflysaurus - it was a pleasure to watch it happen, I was amazed by how determined he seemed, and he very quickly wriggled free of his pupa.
Thank you Guy - your kind comments are much appreciated, there's a reason I always post on your diary, your pictures are fantastic (and I have a soft spot for big nymphalids and hairstreaks :D ).
Cheers Wurzel, he flicked his head (and his tongue) around a lot as he emerged, I think to provide some forward momentum :D - I was suprised to notice that his proboscis is actually divided into two parts as he emerged - the things we notice wen we have time to observe in detail :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

There's nothing left for me to say William - the others have said it all. Truly magical :D . I'd be interested to know how long the emergence took.

robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

That's A* work, William - very well done,

Rob

"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Yep,that is a trully awesome sequence of shots,excellent.

Regards
Dave Browne
William

Post by William »

Thanks everyone - your kind words are much appreciated :D :D

Pauline - I was suprised at just how quick the emergence was, I don't know how long it had been going for when I took the first photo, but from then to the last emergence picture is 19 seconds. He seemed very determined to be free, and after a bit of head wriggling he crawled straight out.

Thanks Rob and Buchan Boy - it was an incredible experience :D :D

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Great work William :D

Vince

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

A wonderful report William - really good work.

Your close up images are phenomenal! I had never noticed scales all the way down a butterfly's legs before.

Outstanding.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Personal Diaries”