Pete Eeles

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
William

Re: Pete Eeles

Post by William »

Brilliant Photos Pete, and congratulations on your newest arrival :D :D

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks all!

Coming up for air
I've had an extremely hectic couple of weeks and seem to be constantly traveling - but did manage to pop in to see the Marsh Fritillary colony on North Bull Island last week to see how the larvae are progressing. I'm pleased to say that the floodwaters have largely disappeared, and larvae are still around in good numbers. Some larvae are in their final instar and will be on the wing in mid-May I suspect ... incredibly early! They're also starting to divide up into much smaller groups, as one would expect. Some photos below. The 2 most interesting photos are the last 2 ... the penultimate photo shows cocoons of an Apanteles species of wasp, and the last photo shows that the larvae will munch on even the most leathery leaves of Devil's-bit Scabious.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Great images, Pete. I hope to get out soon to explore the marshy areas near to my home on the Gower to see if I can find any Marsh Frit larvae.

Conditions have been decent thus far in 2014 so I expect there to be a good emergence.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Congratulations for your recent good news, Pete. Fabulous!

Lovely Marsh Frits too.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks David / Lee!

Busy, busy, busy
The season seemed to go into overdrive today, with a friend informing me of at least a dozen Duke of Burgundy at Noar Hill today. Things at home were also showing signs of the season really kicking off! First off, I had an Orange-tip emerge and released him outside, just long enough for me to grab a shot before we parted company. A female will emerge tomorrow, judging by the colours showing strongly through the pupa. I also had a few Peacock flying around and, this evening, several Holly Blue were attracted to a laurel bush that is in full sun as the light starts to fade ... the individual below is still there now and I'll see if I can get an open wing shot tomorrow if he's not gone!
Orange-tip (male)
Orange-tip (male)
Orange-tip pupa (female)
Orange-tip pupa (female)
Peacock
Peacock
Holly Blue (male)
Holly Blue (male)
The Silver-studded Blue larvae I'm rearing are just changing into their 4th instar, and getting more colourful by the minute. Both green and brown forms are present, and they're about 8mm in length at the moment. The first photo of the brown form shows the larva extending its Newcomer's glands, which are used to provide secretions to ants that are then attracted to the larva, and provide it a level of protection. I've also included a video showing the larva extending the glands (and will try and get better videos shortly), as well as a comparison shot of the 2 forms. Surprisingly, this species seems to do best on cut foodplant in a plastic box!
Silver-studded Blue 4th instar larva (green form)
Silver-studded Blue 4th instar larva (green form)
Silver-studded Blue 4th instar larva (brown form) showing Newcomer's glands
Silver-studded Blue 4th instar larva (brown form) showing Newcomer's glands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m65IU21oIvU[/video]
Silver-studded Blue 4th instar larvae
Silver-studded Blue 4th instar larvae
Cheers,

- Pete

David M

Post by David M »

Really interesting photographs there, Pete.

You seem to seriously have your hands full right now given all your commitments, so thanks for taking the time to share these.

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Some Firsts!
I've seen a few new species for me this year over the last couple of days. A brief walk at Woolhampton Gravel Pits turned up several Green-veined White, along with the usual suspects of Orange-tip, Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock.
Green-veined White (male)
Green-veined White (male)
Given the recent sightings of Duke of Burgundy, one of my favourite butterflies, I decided to pay a visit to Noar Hill and came across my first Speckled Wood and Dingy Skipper of the year while there.
Speckled Wood (female)
Speckled Wood (female)
Dingy Skipper (male)
Dingy Skipper (male)
The male Dukes seem to occupy the same territories year after year at this site, and it's rather strange to be able to walk to a particular pit or hollow and expect to find my quarry! But, lo and behold, a walk straight to the pits at the back of the reserve turned up 5 males. I was particularly interested (given recent discussion on the UKB forums) in studying the variability of the colouring on the male hindwing, and a spectrum of individuals is shown below.
Duke of Burgundy (male)
Duke of Burgundy (male)
Duke of Burgundy (male)
Duke of Burgundy (male)
Duke of Burgundy (male)
Duke of Burgundy (male)
The highlight, however, was finding a fresh female which seemed to stay in one particular area, since I managed to relocate her almost an hour after first finding her. This particular Duchess is full of eggs and didn't fly very far at all.
Duke of Burgundy (female)
What an amazing start to the season. I can't believe it's only mid-April!

Cheers,

- Pete

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I think that last DoB shot is lovely Pete. Glad you had such a successful day.

David M

Post by David M »

Yes. Great images again, Pete (even though I'm yet to see a female DoB).

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pete,
That last shot's a stonker! I wish the mid April to June period would last six months!
BWs, Neil

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Those last two female D of B photos sure are some pretty serious eye candy Pete :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Brilliant, Pete! I kept my eyes peeled for Dukes today but 17th April really would be very early out here.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:Hi Pete,
That last shot's a stonker! I wish the mid April to June period would last six months!
BWs, Neil
Quite.

There's something particularly intoxicating about this time of year.

I don't think there's any moment in the calendar more invigorating than this.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Agreed about both the last shot :mrgreen:(any tips there Pete - time of day, habitat as I've been trying for one like that over the last three seasons?) and this time of year lasting 6 months :D . Looks like I'll have to try my Duke site tomorrow - oh it's a hard life :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!
Wurzel wrote:Agreed about both the last shot :mrgreen:(any tips there Pete - time of day, habitat as I've been trying for one like that over the last three seasons?) and this time of year lasting 6 months :D . Looks like I'll have to try my Duke site tomorrow - oh it's a hard life :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Hi Wurzel - I found her around midday (I wasn't able to get to the site any earlier) and she was more-or-less in the same spot a couple of hours later. Find any cowslip-covered chalk pit and have a good look around - at Noar Hill those at the back and middle of the reserve (when looking away from the road) seem to be the most productive. The males will be guarding their territories so don't fly too far away if disturbed, and the females can usually be found resting in between bouts of egg-laying.

Cheers,

- Pete

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I know its already been said by others Pete, but that last shot of the Duchess is simply amazing :D

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the info Pete - I tried my local site but no joy today - perhaps it's still a bit early here so I'll try again in a week or two :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Savernake Forest

A good day spent in the company of Matthew Oates at Savernake Forest in Wiltshire, re-finding several Purple Emperor larvae that we've been following through. The level of predation seems quite high, with many larvae now "missing in action". Having said that, we did manage to relocate a couple of larvae that we thought were long gone, one of which had travelled an incredible 4.5m since it was last seen. The wood is also alive with Orange-tip and Green-veined White, and the main entrance to the forest has the most incredible patch of Cuckooflower I've ever seen. A wonderful place!
Purple Emperor 3rd instar larva that has yet to recommence feeding
Purple Emperor 3rd instar larva that has yet to recommence feeding
Purple Emperor 3rd instar larva
Purple Emperor 3rd instar larva
Purple Emperor 3rd instar larva about to moult
Purple Emperor 3rd instar larva about to moult
Purple Emperor 4th instar larva, having just moulted
Purple Emperor 4th instar larva, having just moulted
A Purple hat ribbon for a purple day :)
A Purple hat ribbon for a purple day :)
Cheers,

- Pete

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Pete

Excellent images of the Emperor Larvae :D I must try and find some of my own one day but I imagine they are incredibly difficult to find :?

Echoing others comments, those last two Duke of Burgundy photos are absolutely stunning :D :D

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

jackz432r wrote:Excellent images of the Emperor Larvae :D I must try and find some of my own one day but I imagine they are incredibly difficult to find :?
Echoing others comments, those last two Duke of Burgundy photos are absolutely stunning :D :D
Thanks! Yes, Emperor larvae can be very difficult to find - you need to be in the right wood, with the right sallows where females lay (in shade), at the right time of year (when the larvae are easiest to find). So yes - some planning required!

Cheers,

- Pete

Return to “Personal Diaries”