SPAIN EARLY 2014.

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SPAIN EARLY 2014.

Post by Padfield »

That's a gravid female by the look of her - and your previous photos have been of males. That might account for the differences you mention.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Guy, Thanks for the Swallowtail info.
Also on Fridays' walk as well as a Small Tortoiseshell, Small White, I came across a Speckled Wood(?) but it has a lot more orange than all the previous S/Woods I have seen in Spain and France, could this be the subspecies tircis ?

Russ
Attachments
Tircis ?
Tircis ?
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Russ,
I would say that it is the female of Pararge aegeria aegeria
A nice clear photo for a collection !
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

cjackson wrote:Hi Russ,
I would say that it is the female of Pararge aegeria aegeria
A nice clear photo for a collection !
Chris
Correct. This butterfly is more Wall Brown than Speckled Wood south of a certain latitude.

I'd love to live in that restricted part of NW Europe where the two forms fly together. It'd be interesting to note why these distinct forms coexist where they neighbour one another.

You'd think there'd be some kind of interbreeding which might dilute the visual characteristics.
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Sunday 6/4/14. Morning.

What a difference a bright warm sunny morning makes, I was sat in my motorhome on our campsite, having my mid-morning cup of coffee, when a large creamish butterfly went past, fairly fast. I jumped up and ran out of the van but it had gone, then I saw a few b/fs flying at the back of the site, Orange Tips(3or4), Speckled Wood(4/5), then a Scarce Swallowtail(never seen one before), it was slightly deformed but it was a Scarce S/T, then I saw another and this one was A1, now there were b/fs all over the campsite, a Hummingbird Hawkmoth(I know a moth), Green-Veined Whites, Small Blue b/f? and a golden brown(small skipper?) neither stopped for an ID. then a smallish Fritillary landed on a flower for a couple of quick snaps, possibly a Small Pearl-Bordered Frit.(no underside shot available), what do you think Guy?
After about an hour I was exhausted so had to go and sit down for a rest(I am 63).

Cheers Russ
Attachments
Deformed Scarce S/T
Deformed Scarce S/T
A1 Scarce S/T.
A1 Scarce S/T.
Small Pearl-Bordered Frit?
Small Pearl-Bordered Frit?
Hummingbird Hawkmoth at rest, for a change.
Hummingbird Hawkmoth at rest, for a change.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I'm glad you got your Scarce Swallowtail Russ !! :D
Chris
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Russ. Your fritillary is a violet fritillary (Weaver's fritillary), Boloria dia. It is related to the pearl-bordered and small pearl-bordered fritillaries but smaller than either and with quite a different appearance when you get the feel for them all. Part of this is a function of the shape of the hindwing, which is very abruptly angled where the outer margin meets the leading edge.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Chris, thanks(merci beaucoup) for your comments and support over the last couple of months, I'm nearly finish now, Calais on Friday. :(

Kind regards,
Russ
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Guy,
Thanks once again for your expert knowledge, patience and time, they are much appreciated.

I do have problems with fritillaries. :oops:

Kind regards
Russ.
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Sunday 6/4/14. Afternoon. 21c Sunny

After such a good morning with the butterflies, we decided to have a drive to Lac d'Estaing in the mountains to see if anything was flying at 4,500 ft?
We took the direct route(shortest) on narrow country lanes, suddenly a large dark b/f with white edges flew across the front of the van. I parked up and started looking for it, nothing for 10 minutes, except S/Woods, O/Tips and a small blue?(didn't stop for ID).
At the side of road was a fast flowing stream(I remembered GUY's advice), then I saw a large dark b/f flying over the middle of the stream higher up, I ran up the road and watched a Camberwell Beauty dancing over the water,then it landed on my side of the bank, a few quick snaps(best one below).
We then drove on to Lac d'Estaing, but I thought I had ran over a C/Beauty, it seem to bounce over the van, I stopped and went back and saw it in the middle of the road motionless, I thought it was dead but a Brimstone went past and it was up like a shot to see it off. It did this 3 times for passing Brimstones and once for a O/Tip. It eventually flew off non the worse. :D
We did get to Lac d'Estaing, a fantastic place.

Russ
Ps Orange Tip pics also.
Attachments
Camberwell Beauty(my 1st)
Camberwell Beauty(my 1st)
Can you see it? it's in the middle of pic.
Can you see it? it's in the middle of pic.
Road kill?
Road kill?
SAM_2235.JPG
SAM_2236.JPG
SAM_2239.JPG
SAM_2243.JPG
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Russ,
I am really enjoying reading your posts. My wife and I have been talking about moving to Spain for a number of years and we would love to do so once the kids have grown up. I just need to figure out how to make a living once we are there!
It must be fantastic to see so many butterflies at this time of year. I have only managed three species so far this year here!
We are going to Alora, north west of Malaga for two weeks in July and I hope to make a visit to the Sierra Nevada while we are there. I can't wait!
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

LancsRover wrote:Can you see it? it's in the middle of pic.
I love that picture! Really enjoying your trip reports, Russ.

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Johncob

Post by Johncob »

Russ Brilliant set of results. Especially the Cam Beauty. JC
David M

Post by David M »

I could only see the Camberwell after enlarging the image. Cracking context shot and what a thrill it must have been seeing that.
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Nick, thanks for your kind comments, Spain is a fantastic country(esp. in winter) the people are very friendly and there are mountains all over, I too would love to see the Sierra Nevada,
enjoy July and put some posts on UKB :)

Cheers Russ
Attachments
The beautiful Lac d'Estaing(French Pyrenees)
The beautiful Lac d'Estaing(French Pyrenees)
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Cheers Lee, for your kind comments, unfortunately my journey is coming to end soon. :(

Russ
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi David, thanks for your comments, I was "over the moon". I have been very lucky finding some of the butterflies I have seen on this trip, a different road here and there and I would have missed about 30%.

Cheers Russ.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

LancsRover wrote:The beautiful Lac d'Estaing(French Pyrenees)
Wow! :shock:
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Monday 7/4/14. Agos-Vidalos.
Last trip around the campsite(about 10am) before I set off north to the Lot, turned up an old worn Peacock(my 1st of the trip!) and what I think is a female Cleopatra(or is it a Brimstone?)
I was sorry to leave this great campsite, the owner told me that there were a lot my butterflies in summer than now, which he called winter!!!

Cheers Russ.
Attachments
Peacock
Peacock
Cleopatra(Female)?
Cleopatra(Female)?
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Russ, I'd love to see a Peacock in Marseilles, but I guess it's too dry. That pale-ish wing on your "Brimstone" makes me think rather of a female cleopatra.
Cheers, Chris.

Return to “Overseas”