Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Hoggers

Post by Wurzel »

It looks like another bumper year for Small Torts - I've seen more this year at Five Rivers than last so here's hoping :D Great shots of the Small Torts and the final shot of the he/she frog is fantastic and enters the 'I wish I'd taken that' category :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

A bumper year indeed, Wurzel: I counted 28 Small Tortoiseshells at Dungeness today (and there were certainly many more)!
IMG_9022.JPG
IMG_9013.JPG
IMG_9024.JPG
IMG_9044.JPG
IMG_9058.JPG
IMG_9059.JPG
IMG_9054.JPG
On a beautiful, sunny warm day
IMG_9060.JPG
I saw only one other butterfly, a Peacock
IMG_8989.JPG
It was certainly a Small Tortoiseshell Day
IMG_9062.JPG

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Hoggers

Great to see so many Small Tortoiseshells in your patch. That last one is fantastic :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks Jack much appreciated. I can't remember seeing so many Small Tortoiseshells in March before. It's very promising. Let's hope the weather holds!

Best wishes

Hoggers

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I managed to get out over the fields today. The sight of my first Cuckoo Flower of the year got my hopes up for an Orange Tip and now and again it was certainly warm enough for a butterfly but unfortunately there was so much cloud around that most of the time it was cold with some heavy showers of hail.

Still, I had some luck during a sunny spell finding a lone Small Tortoiseshell by the river
P1050608.JPG
It was the only butterfly that I saw today. There were quite a few bumblebees despite the cool conditions. This one might be a White-tailed but possibly a Garden Bumblebee
P1050595.JPG
P1050600.JPG
(I'm trying to learn how to identify bumblebees but seem to end up by just confusing myself!)

I've noticed that a good deal of my Borage has started to sprout up in the garden. It's the bumblebee's firm favourite so hopefully by the end of the year I'll have got in more practice identifying them!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I love the proboscis shot Hoggers :mrgreen: If you have an iPod or similar device you can get some pretty useful Apps or free downloads to help with Bee ID, check out BWARS as well as that covers pretty much everything Bee wise :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

The weather has been absolutely fabulous today. I did a bit of gardening and then thought I'd take a stroll along the river and up to the wood. It was so warm I felt perfectly comfortable wearing just a T-Shirt. I was very quickly seeing Small Tortoiseshells
P1050626.JPG
P1050631.JPG
P1050632.JPG
And Peacocks
P1050618.JPG
P1050621.JPG
The woodland floor was white with Wood Anemones
P1050633.JPG
The Bluebells have yet to flower but there were lots of Primroses, Celandines, Ground Ivy and Dog Violets
P1050643.JPG
Chiffchaffs were loudly ringing the changes in the still bare tree-tops and three Brimstones restlessly patrolled along the glades.

In total I saw 24 Small Tortoiseshells (far more than I'm used to finding here at any time of year!), 4 Peacocks and 3 Brimstones.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was a great day indeed Hoggers - great shots especially the Peacocks, and the rise and rise of the Small Tort continues :D

Have a goodun

Wurezl

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

A second very warm and sunny morning in a row: we're being spoilt!

Spoilt for butterflies too: a walk along the riverbank again produced high numbers of Small Tortoiseshells ( long may this bonanza continue, Wurzel! ), but in addition I came across this Comma too
IMG_9099.JPG
IMG_9101.JPG
I also saw another Brimstone and this time I had fun trying to get a fly-past photo
IMG_9090.JPG
There he goes!
IMG_9091.JPG
Not a very successful effort on my part I'm afraid!

I had my eyes peeled for a White, but no luck.

But there was more in store for me when I got home: not only this Small Tortoiseshell on the Wallflowers
IMG_9136.JPG
IMG_9145.JPG
IMG_9146.JPG
IMG_9148.JPG
And a gorgeous Peacock on the Celandines
IMG_9150.JPG
But then as luck would have it, a Small White, my first of the year, flew into the garden and away.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

What a day in the garden!

All of a sudden I had my first Holly Blue of the year
IMG_9172.JPG
IMG_9180.JPG
IMG_9187.JPG
And my first Orange Tip
IMG_9233.JPG
IMG_9271.JPG
IMG_9275.JPG
IMG_9282.JPG
Marvellous!

William

Post by William »

Lovely Holly Blues Hoggers, the striking contrast between the pearly blue and yellow/green of the leaves is fantastic :D :D

David M

Post by David M »

Wonderful garden 'ticks' for early April, Hoggers. You really are a fortunate fellow!

jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Very jealous of the Holly Blue! Great pics...of quite a mobile and tricky target!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Jealous, of your OT's abd HB Hoggers, :mrgreen: nothing like them here yet Goldie :(

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

What a stroke of luck it was and thanks for your comments guys!

There I was, mooching about in the garden when all of a sudden I had my first Orange Tip AND Holly Blue all at the same time!
Being only too aware of what HBs are like (they lead me a merry dance every year) I was amazed to see it settle on the lovely golden yellow bush (I can't remember what it's called I'm afraid) within easy reach so I went running indoors to fetch my camera.

I was more astounded when I got back in the garden and BOTH butterflies were still there!

I managed to get a few snaps of the HB before it went bustling off. The OT was flitting up and down the flower bed where I've got Wallflowers, Honesty and Garlic Mustard but then the sun went behind a cloud and it went to roost on top of my pear tree and well out of my reach!

So I went and got my ladder and all of the photos of the Orange Tip were taken with me perched on top of it!

Great fun!!

No sign of any butterflies today as it's been cloudy and wet but here's hoping for some sunshine during the coming week.

Best wishes

Hoggers.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Hoggers, I've still to see both of those species this year :mrgreen: So now I need to invest in a step ladder as well as a camera, expensive lens etc etc :roll: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Plenty of cloud about today but nonetheless warm and with some sunshine at times. I took a walk along the river and found myself in good company
IMG_9321.JPG
I saw four Orange Tips, all males, and it was great fun to watch them patrolling up and down and chasing about after one another
IMG_9329.JPG
IMG_9332.JPG
In amongst the OTs were several Green-veined Whites (my first of the year)
IMG_9360.JPG
Such delicate flyers
IMG_9336.JPG
very dainty.

Still a few Small Tortoiseshells about
IMG_9349.JPG
And Peacocks too
IMG_9355.JPG
I also saw a Comma.

Walking along the riverbank I heard my first Nightingale of Spring and talking of birds, on the walk back as I crossed a field I nearly stood on this egg (I put my car key there to give you an idea of its size)
IMG_9341.JPG
On its own, a very pale blue, not in a nest of any kind, warm to the touch and no bird anywhere near it! Any idea what bird it is?

But my abiding memory of today will be the Orange Tips
IMG_9373.JPG
IMG_9375.JPG
IMG_9388.JPG
Welcome back!
IMG_9379.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Welcome back indeed :D I'm starting to regret house renovation now as it's taking me away from my butterflying so seeing those cracking shots of your OT's has cheered me up, I need to get me some of those bad boys :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

You've excelled yourself today, Hoggers.

How I wish conditions in S. Wales had been similar (cloudy and cool all day here).

maverick

Post by maverick »

Just seen the pictures of your mistary egg,I wouldn't like to say how it got there but if it pale blue and looking at its size I would guess at the thrush family
So depending on the size if its small it could be a robin,but looking at the picture again my money is on a black bird
Hope this helps

Return to “Personal Diaries”