Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Mike and Wurzel. It was an image I had overlooked at the time of taking, and only resurfaced when I went searching the archives for something a little different. She's certainly carrying plenty of eggs!
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Morning from deepest Ireland (where I am on a shot visit).

Plenty of dogs here too but I put on my best English accent and it scares the daylights out of them. Try something similar Neil. Any German friends who can teach you the appropriate hund phrases?

Jack

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,

"Morning from deepest Ireland (where I am on a shot visit)."

Now, now Jack. We don't want you causing Troubles over there!

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fat Cat

This morning (27th March) I headed to Rewell Wood, determined to find a Pearl-bordered Fritillary caterpillar. These can be tricky to spot and I spent two and a half hours staring at the leaf litter in a sweet chestnut coppice block before finally striking lucky. After such a lengthy search I made the most of my discovery, so followed the fat, full-grown, 5th instar larva for an hour. It gradually warmed itself up by sunbathing, slowly becoming more active. I tracked it across an open area as it scrambled over leaves and brash, until it eventually found what it wanted - a lovely patch of violets. As it gorged itself on the young, fresh leaves I pondered whether I'll see this insect again in a few weeks time, but after the miracle of metamorphosis has taken place I doubt I'll recognise him/her! At this rate of development the Pearls will be on the wing in the third week of April.
UKB PBF 5th instar cat (2), Rewell Wood 27.3.14.jpg
UKB PBF 5th instar cat (1), Rewell Wood 27.3.14.jpg

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Well done Neil - took me 3 years to find my first, so know that they're not the easiest of critters to locate in the wild unless you're an old hand at this (e.g. Oatesy). Nice one!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
William

Post by William »

A magnificent beast Neil - and brilliant photos :D :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Pete and William,
The fact I found it when on the point of 'throwing in the towel' made it even more special. I've found 4th instar before, but this was my first with yellow spine bases.
BWs, Neil

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Brilliant Duke photo Neil! Well deserved first prize, I wonder if you have any more overlooked "award worthy" photos hidden away on your hard drive :wink: I had a look for some PBF cats in Abbots Wood the other day. After a searching for several hours I had to concede defeat. I hope this was simply down to my lack of skill rather than an indication of a poor year for PBF's. Having said that the areas containing dog violet are huge in Abbots, with any luck they are just spread far and wide.

All the best

B'saurus

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks B. rex. The PBF cats are not easy, but I'm sure they were there ... and watching you!
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Official Start Of Spring

My own definition of spring was finally fulfilled on Saturday (29th March), when a brief tour of the quiet lanes around Billingshurst and Five Oaks produced my first Orange Tip and Green-veined White of the season, together with a few Bee-flies (B. major). I returned on Sunday to find both of these spring gems (again one of each), together with a supporting cast of Brimstone (6), Comma (2), Peacock (2), Small Tortoiseshell (1) and Red Admiral (1). The weather was perfect for photography, with the milky sunshine being periodically blocked out, causing a sudden drop in temperature and sending the butterflies to roost. After a Mother's Day picnic with the family, I finished off a fabulous spring day with a visit to see the Hoopoe currently showing well at Clymping beach.
UKB OT Five Oaks 30.3.14.jpg
UKB GVW Five Oaks 30.3.14.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Neil those photos are both stunning but my favourite is the OT. I only wish I could take one like that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Still, something to aspire to I suppose :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Pauline,
Plenty of time yet to get that shot. Weather conditions are everything - catch them in roosting mode and the impossible suddenly becomes simple. I gave up chasing warm ones around years ago!
BWs, Neil

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Good sighting for the Orange Tip, Neil.
They have only just come out this weekend down in Marseilles, so apparently there is not much South-North time lag.
Cheers, Chris

John W

Post by John W »

Hi Neil, fabulous photos as ever! When (in the afternoon) do Orange Tips tend to roost (assuming it's sunny)? I have a feeling they tend to stop flying about 3.30pm, is that right?

Cheers
John

Susie

Post by Susie »

Beautiful photos, Neil.

Someone kindly advised me that orange tip had been seen but by the time I got there late in the afternoon I didnt see anything flying except a single male brimstone. Still, plenty of time yet to catch up with them over the coming weeks. I may even bump into you :)

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Chris, John and Susie.

John: They are not quite as lazy as male Brimstones, which knock-off ridiculously early, but it really depends on temperature. At this time of year there can be a very significant difference in temperature on even fully sunny days, and yet only 1 degree within the early spring temperature range can make all the difference. That's why you will see loads of Brimstones flying on one sunny day - then none on the next, despite it being sunny again! Much better to go out on a day when it will be periodically cloudy and cooler ... and just follow them.

Susie: See you there. You know where!

BWs, Neil

Susie

Post by Susie »

Were you there again today, Neil? I think I drove past you on my way there. Catch up with you soon. :)

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Susie,
Yes, I spent a blissful day there! Report coming soon.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Orange Tips Get Fruity

This morning (1st April) I did a U-turn on the way to Billingshurst as a cool, thick mist was shrouding the Weald. Heading back towards the coast I found Mill Hill (Shoreham) bathed in warm sunshine. At 10.30 am I nearly trod on my first Grizzled Skipper of the year. After an hour and a half I had still not relocated this 'needle in a haystack', so headed back to the country lanes around Billingshurst and Five Oaks. I spent a glorious day wandering along the ditches, banks and ghylls which are now thick with Lady's Smock, Primrose and Bluebell. My tally included 8 Orange Tip (incl. 2 females), 2 Green-veined White, 1 Large White, 1 Speckled Wood, 5 Brimstone, 2 Peacock, 2 Comma and 1 Small Tortoiseshell. By the time I arrived in my favourite meadow the butterflies were already very active in the heat, so I spent most of the day just watching them, as attempts at photography appeared futile. However, it was my lucky day and I soon spotted the tiniest sliver of orange wingtip as a mating couple gave their position away. This is the earliest I have ever seen mating Orange Tips.
UKB Orange Tip pairing, Five Oaks 1.4.14.jpg

William

Post by William »

That's a superb shot Neil, it seems you are quite a bit further ahead in Sussex than in darkest Somerset. Bluebells aren't putting up buds yet and Cuckoo Flower and Garlic Mustard are similarly far off - very jealous :D :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”