Queries about creating an album

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
robpartridge

Queries about creating an album

Post by robpartridge »

Hello, I hope that this is the right place to ask a couple of basic questions about the above topic. After watching Peter's video, I manged to put up a couple of images into a personal album and then began to run into difficulties;

1/ the file is too big, 3MB maximum - but most of my recent ones using the trusty Lumix FZ38 are 6MB plus. Is there an obvious solution? (by now you have probably realised that I am in special needs as far as technical studies are concerned).

2/ I posted details for the ones I did get in but where do these subsequently appear?

3/ I store photos in Picasa but cannot take them directly from there, so I have to write down file numbers and then find these elsewhere on the hard drive - do others do something similar? Probably not...

Any thoughts will be much appreciated,

Rob
"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Queries about creating an album

Post by Padfield »

Hi Rob.

If you use Picasa and want to keep things as simple as possible, I suggest that rather than noting down file numbers you export files out of Picasa, resizing them to 800 pixels as you do so. Simply click on 'export' and then set the size in a dialogue box like this one (mine is in French but it looks pretty much the same in any language):

By default, this will store the images in My Images\Picasa\exports\2014_**_** or something similar (again, mine is in French, so I'm not sure exactly how it appears in English).

Importantly, the exported images will be as you have edited them in Picasa. If you have cropped or adjusted the lighting, they will be saved with these changes. If you use your method, of noting where the originals are, you will not retain any of these changes as Picasa does not actually edit the images.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

If you use Windows on your computer there's a handy (free or personal use) program from http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-soft ... e-resizer/ (this used to be called VSO Image Resizer)

The program uses a 'shell' to integrate into Windows Explorer. If you select one or more photos in a folder and then right-click, you will see Light Image Resizer in the list of options that appears. Choose the options you want (I usually re-size to800x600 for the web) and it quickly produces the new sizes while keeping the originals (unless you specify otherwise)

I've been using it for years and the only drawback I've found is the nag screens at beginning and end, on the free version.

Mike
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

Hello Padfield,

many thanks. I've gone down your route initially and this has worked - resizing and exporting has made it much easier to put in 2 more images. I'm not yet clear on how to get them into sub-albums but I have at least started the process. For the 2 Large Copper images, I did add a description as recommended but I cannot see where this appears as yet - no doubt all will become clear. Many thanks for your help.

Mike, I have downloaded that resizing tool as well, as this will solve a problem I have had when submitting images to another couple of people - once again, I appreciate your time and the helpful nature of this site in general,

Rob
"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Rob,

I have moved your images into their respective sub-albums :) .

When adding further images do not click on "new image", but first go into the appropriate sub-album, then you can start entering your photos.
Any information put in the "Imagename" box will appear as the image title and be displayed beneath the image when the album is viewed. Information added to the "Image Description" box, will not appear on screen, but can be accessed by any viewer.

You can add or amend information in any of those boxes by clicking on "Moderate" (beneath the image) and then selecting "Edit".

Let me know if you have any other problems.

Vince
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

Hello Vince, and thank you for your help. My only remaining problem is finding enough images that are up to the high standards of the site!

Rob
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

It's your personal album Rob, so you can put anything in that you like :)
As your images improve you can delete old ones by going to the "Moderate" button.
All personal albums are monitored for images that can make a contribution to the Species-Specific Albums. Gallery Guidelines are here http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/gallery_guidelines.php and you will get a PM from me if one of yours is selected for inclusion.

Vince
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Nice large copper from the Dordogne! That's not such an easy butterfly to find.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

Vince and Guy, I appreciate your encouraging comments. The Large Copper was taken with an old Coolpix which still sometimes outperforms more modern cameras. Half the time I've no idea why!

Rob
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Vince,

I don't think that it is fair that new users should be allowed to post pictures and create albums that put me to shame. There should be a sort of apprenticeship period to protect the sensibilities of those of us who can't take a decent picture of a butterfly.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

John - There are lots of things I wish I could do better as well :), but half the fun is having a go.
All I can say is thank god for the affordable digital camera! :D

Vince
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Rob, I agree with the comments above; lovely Large Copper pictures. It's a species I've yet to find.

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

JohnR wrote:Vince,

albums that put me to shame. .
John, that's how I feel about everyone else's albums! Vince is right, of course, it's mostly about the camera and I just wish I could switch my whole life to Intelligent Auto mode - things would be so much easier. Lee, I didn't find that Large Copper; in my descriptions for those images I have tried to credit David Simpson of La Cabane Du Pommier but at present the descriptions don't seem to be showing up, so I'm doing something wrong. Anyway, David Simpson showed me those Large Coppers, along with several other wonders that did not photograph so well,

Rob
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

robpartridge wrote:..............it's mostly about the camera..........
Actually Rob, its mostly about the camera user :)
robpartridge wrote: I didn't find that Large Copper; in my descriptions for those images I have tried to credit David Simpson of La Cabane Du Pommier but at present the descriptions don't seem to be showing up, so I'm doing something wrong.
Rob, go to your Large Copper images gallery/album.php?album_id=2359
Click on "Moderate"
Select "Edit"
Enter your information into either the "Imagename" or "Image Description" box and then
Press "Submit".

I suggest putting the species, location and date in the first box and any other information in the second box.

Vince
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

Thank you, Vince, that has all worked well,

Rob

Return to “General”