Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
John W

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by John W »

I'm very sorry to hear about your dog bite Neil. Must have been quite a big dog to have bitten your thigh? Nasty.

Cheers
John

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

So sorry to read that you were attacked, Neil. Quite shocking :(

I think they should bring back dog licencing, with all owners having to have insurance for their dogs.

Really sad to real that you won't be leading any more walks either. :(
Last edited by Susie on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Seems you had a very similar day at Walters Copse as I did Neil, even with the large flyover butterfly which would not give up it's identity! The numbers of Commas here is quite astounding, full marks to the National Trust for managing this wood in a way that is excellent for butterflies. At any time of the day there is a 'sun trap' somewhere in the wood on the walk around (when it's sunny). I hope to visit again sometime so may see you there. I hope the bite gets better soon.

Regards
Mike

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

The Ferring Rife site looks quite like many parts of the Somerset Levels, where Small Tortoiseshell usually does well. I imagine the banks get carpeted with nettles later in the year.

We visited Walter's Copse a few years ago, before the Large Tortoiseshells had been discovered there. I wondered how the absence of deer on the island affected its management and what butterflies might be present there.

I have only ever seen Large Tortoiseshells in my dreams, fluttering around the Lyme Regis undercliffs. As one was a highly aberrant specimen coloured like a white tiger I am more than content with that...

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks all. Hardly a life-threatening injury, and inflicted by a surprisingly small dog (it had to stand on its hind legs to bite me!), but the whole business makes me see red. I kept thinking about the outcome if I'd been walking with my young daughter. Under those circumstances a very ugly outcome would have been inevitable.

Yes Mike, the number of Commas is remarkable. I don't remember seeing quite so many anywhere before at this time of year. The local NT rangers do a superb job here.

The banks do indeed get covered in vast nettle-beds Matsukaze. The Environment Agency does a great job of cutting them at a favourable time of year too. I imagine the EA are far less popular down on the Levels though!

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Snakes Alive!

With my part of the South Coast shrouded in thick mist today (14th March), I took a gamble and interpreted the Met Office weather map literally, heading east to the Lewes area where sunshine was promised. I visited the BC reserves of Park Corner Heath and Rowland Wood in the hope of finding a few Brimstone, Comma and Peacock. The latter two species were on the wing in low numbers, but the slight mist rendered the sunshine just too ineffective to tempt any Brimstone out.

On my arrival I bumped into David 'Snakeman' Bradford, so soon turned my attention away from the modest showing of butterflies and spent several happy hours looking for adders with him. We were later joined by Mark Tomlins, who had made quite a lengthy journey to photograph reptiles on the reserve. I haven't done much snake photography before, so today provided me with my best results to date.
UKB Adder PCH 14.3.14.jpg
UKB Adder 3 PCH 14.3.14.jpg
UKB Adder 2 PCH 14.3.14.jpg

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I think I recognise that face, it looks like the same Adder I photographed on the 8th of March :D (photo in my PD)
It's a small world :wink:

I should have tried harder, your photo's better than mine. 8)

Best Wishes

B'saurus

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Great Start To Season

The 2014 butterfly season has started in style; it's a long time since I've seen so many post-hibernators around. I've now seen really good numbers of Small Tortoiseshell, Comma, Peacock and Brimstone on one or more sites during my travels through Sussex and to the Isle of Wight. Only the Red Admiral is showing poorly, but I don't think many were around at the start of the 13/14 winter.

This morning (16th March) I visited Rewell Wood, and stayed there all day! By the time the sunshine was losing its strength I had covered most of the wood, seeing a fantastic number of butterflies. My tally was 74 Peacock, 56 Brimstone, 13 Comma, 3 Small Tortoiseshell and 1 Red Admiral. At one point, as I sat on the slopes of a primrose strewn valley (private area), I could count 16 male Brimstone. Many of the butterflies were congregating on sallow trees, some of which were heavy with flowers (pictured). Also seen were 9 Orange Underwing moths, including 2 females egg-laying on silver birch.
UKB Sallow, Rewell Wood 16.3.14.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

It sure has been an explosive start to the butterfly season thus far, Neil.

I reckon I'm into 3 figures already (75% of them Small Tortoiseshells which appear to be enjoying a real renaissance).

You going back for another Large Tortoiseshell hunt soon?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David,
I'm still hoping to hear some positive news from the locals who are keeping a close eye on the main IOW site, and I'll return if even a single sighting is reported. However, I've used up quite a few Brownie Points by doing a two day trip, so probably won't get back unless things liven up. I suspect we will hear of the odd one turning up on the mainland in the next week or two, continuing the recent trend.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Tortoiseshells Rife

Irrespective of how many Purple Emperor, Brown Hairstreak or rare migrants I see this year, one of the highlights of my season will undoubtedly be the spring crop of Small Tortoiseshell along the banks of Ferring Rife. Today (17th March) I managed to squeeze in another hour and a half there, and was richly rewarded. I only had time to perform a less-than-thorough count over about three quarters of the east bank below the footbridge, but still managed to record 77 Small Tortoiseshell and 2 Peacock.

There are still many specimens around in excellent condition, particularly the females which are now showing strongly. Many of these are being pursued 'Benny Hill style' by numerous amorous males, forming strings of sometimes 5 or 6 butterflies. Egg-laying is now well underway and I watched several females sitting low amongst the bankside vegetation with their abdomens curled tightly below emerging nettle leaves. One of my images shows the untidy pile of fresh green eggs left behind. It is interesting to watch the female butterflies as they test each plant for suitability; after tipping forwards slightly, she will often use her under-developed forelegs to 'drum' on the leaves.
UKB ST1 Ferring Rife 17.3.14.jpg
UKB ST egg batch Ferring Rife 17.3.14.jpg
UKB ST2 Ferring Rife 17.3.14.jpg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Neil,we were sorry to hear that you were bitten by that dog. I was having a chat about it with Lee Slaughter in Cornwall on Saturday.When i am in the countryside,i often get dogs that are off the lead jumping up at me. Though it is a nuisance when i have my camera,they generally mean no harm.So to actually get bitten must have been quite shocking.

Loving the Small Tort pictures BTW. They seem to be off to a flyer this year up here as well-long may it continue.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Mark (essexbuzzard), but it's the deer tics that are at it now! All those prone to lying down in the middle of woodlands, moors and meadows in pursuit butterflies and moths should be aware that deer tics are already active this year - early along with everything else!

I'm hoping to attend one of Lee's events as we will be in Cornwall during the first week of September.

BWs, Neil

P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Neil,
Reading your diary I wonder if the dog(s) that bit you detected any shrimp paste on your trousers? It does tend to linger and I am sure it could stimulate dogs to bite hard and deep.A bitter apple spray could neutralise it.
Best wishes,
Philip

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Philip,

It's an interesting theory, and I know that dogs have an acute sense of smell, but my trusty moleskins have been given about 20 hot washes since July, and the dog launched its attack from 30 - 40 metres away. Sadly this sort of thing isn't uncommon. A female member of this forum was subjected to a frightening attack on your own turf at Botany Bay last Emperor season. One of three large dogs being walked by a local was unleashed and I heard the barking from nearly quarter of a mile away. Quite rightly she complained to the police, and the owner (who was smirking during the attack) was given some very clear advice by a visiting officer. This was only a week or so after an out-of-control Labrador attacked a member of BC on one of my butterfly walks.

Of course the rise and rise of irresponsible dog ownership doesn't stop here. It's almost impossible to go for a walk in the countryside now without coming across bags of dog excrement hanging from bushes and barbed-wire fences. One only has to read the South Downs National Park Forum to see how many sheep are still suffering sickening attacks by dogs. There was a time when farmers sometimes dealt out on-the-spot justice. That may have been harsh, but I do feel sorry for the farmers who have to deal with yet another sheep with its face ripped off.

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Sitting On Top Of The World

The Wednesday work party at Heyshott Escarpment was attended by an impressive 13 people today (19th March), with the usual mix of Murray Downland Trust and BC Sussex volunteers. The initial climb to the giddy heights of the very top of the slope would have been enough to put lesser mortals off, but the views from the top, now much improved, made every step worthwhile. If Carlsberg did nature reserves, they would probably look like this one.
UKB Heyshott work party 19.3.14.jpg
UKB Heyshott work party (2) 19.3.14.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Pop-up PBF Glade

Today (21st March) I joined a team of a dozen staff and volunteers representing Butterfly Conservation, Forestry Commission and South Downs National Park Authority at Houghton Forest near Arundel. We were there to continue recent habitat management work to benefit Pearl-bordered Fritillary and other species including Grizzled Skipper. Moving about 100m further up the track from where we created the last glade, we completed another sunny opening in a single visit. That's it for work parties until autumn - now bring on the butterflies!
UKB Houghton Forest work party (2) 21.3.14.jpg
UKB Houghton Forest work party 21.3.14.jpg
UKB Houghton Forest work party (3) 21.3.14.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

RSPB South Downs Futurescapes

This afternoon (22nd March) I attended the opening of the RSPB South Downs Futurescapes (http://www.rspb.org.uk/futurescapes/southdowns) Photographic Exhibition, held at RSPB Pulborough Brooks Nature Reserve. Rachel Whitfield gave a great talk on the project, which is part of a welcome trend towards conservation on a landscape scale and involving close working partnerships with other conservation groups.

After a bit of 'pond-dipping', which kept Mia happy until she was forced to return her Water Boatman to its home, we took a quick tour of the reserve before being served tea and cakes back at the visitor centre.

I was very pleased to pick up first prize in the 'Wildlife' section, with this image of a Duke of Burgundy. BC Sussex member Julie Redford came in second with a lovely shot of a Brimstone, and Kenneth Turner made it a trio of butterflies with a pair of mating Chalkhills. Thanks to Rachel, Steve, Anna and others from the RSPB.
UKB - RSPB South Downs Futurescapes - Duke of Burgundy butterfly at North Marden.jpg

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

A deserved first prize Neil, great 'Duke' photo.

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That duke shot is simply stunning Neil :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”