Carbon Fibre Monopod

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
False Apollo

Carbon Fibre Monopod

Post by False Apollo »

Hi Everyone,
Could anyone recommend a good carbon fibre monopod for butterfly photography. I cannot find my old Manfrotto 190 monopod, which I may have accidently left somewhere, I just cannot find it. I wondered if a spike would be better for stability. I was thinking Manfrotto or Giotto. What type of locking is recommended for quick results. Obviously models have been improved since I bought my last monopod a few years ago. I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has been pleased with their monopod from both a stability and mobility perspective.

Regards
Mike Gibbons
MikeOxon

Re: Carbon Fibre Monopod

Post by MikeOxon »

False Apollo wrote: Could anyone recommend a good carbon fibre monopod for butterfly photography.
I use a Manfrotto 694CX with a quick-release ball head. This uses flip-lever leg locks, which are adjustable for tension. Previously, I had a cheaper Manfrotto model that had plastic leg locks, which broke after a few years use.

The 694CX has proved reliable, though most of the stuck-on rubber bits have fallen off, including the rubber foot, which is lodged somewhere in a New Forest bog. Fortunately, spares are readily available.

Mike
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Thank you Mike, I will take your advice into consideration when I buy, unless I can find my old one of course,

Regards
Mike
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Mike,

Depending on what equipment I'm using, I have a couple of different Manfrotto setups. If I'm doing macro, I sometimes borrow Lisa's carbon fibre 190cx3. Great lightweight piece of kit, but I find the extending middle section gets in the way, when you want to get down low to the ground. Then if you flip the central bar out, and use it as its designed, it all becomes a little unstable. I prefer the 055 carbon fibre series, a bit heavier to lung around, but way more stable. I also have a 057 tripod, I think that could take the weight of a car. It would be a bit of overkill if your only using it for a macro lens, but its the best tripod I've ever used.

You need fast adjustable heads for macro work, so I would avoid any geared heads. The joystick heads are great, but I prefer the ball heads

As Mike says, spares are readily available, very handy when like a prat you over tighten something, and the whole thing falls apart :(

Regards Gruditch
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Thanks Gary,
I used my last Manfrotto monopod all the time, but when a butterfly in posing perfectly or moves to another spot, I tend to sometimes take off the monopod to get down low and get in a better position. I have been known to be so engrossed in the butterfly and getting the photo that I forget all about where I left the monopod! I think this may have happened at the end of last year. However as I now find a monopod indispensable for getting really good photos I think I ought to buy another one soon for the upcoming butterfly season. I see some monopods have a spike rather than rubber at the base, I thought this might be useful. I did use a ball head with my last monopod, which was a 190 (4 section). I am grateful for your advice and will look into the other models you mentioned.

Regards
Mike

PS Love your website and photos
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Sorry Mike, I thought you wrote tripod. I have a four section carbon fibre manfrotto monopod, with a tilt head. Nice bit of kit, but I never use it nowadays, much prefer a tripod.

Regards Gruditch
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

False Apollo wrote: I see some monopods have a spike rather than rubber at the base, I thought this might be useful.
The Gitzo range have interchangeable tips,including a couple of different spikes. See, for example, http://www.gitzo.co.uk/ser5-6x-monopod-4-s-g-lock This range is expensive but, providing you don't lose them :) , should last a lifetime. They use twist locks, rather than levers, on the leg sections.

Unlike Gibster, I prefer a monopod for its 'flexibility' in the field. I tend to leave it hanging on the camera all the time (with a ball head) and find that the pendulum effect helps stabilise the camera for hand-held shots, even when it is not actually touching the ground. For low-level shots, I do not necessarily remove the 'pod but sometimes lay it horizontally along the ground.
ingleslenobel

Post by ingleslenobel »

For anyone coming to this, also have a look at the Manfrotto 685B Neotec. It has a gun-like grip at the top to loosen/fasten and with a footholder thing at the bottom - it is a one handed operation to operate - very quick. See http://extreme-macro.co.uk/macro-monopod/

Regards

Return to “Photography”