Camera Reccomendation

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
jasonbirder

Camera Reccomendation

Post by jasonbirder »

Looking to purchase a Camera for Butterfly Photography this year...
(Its time I upgrade my old digi-scoping workhouse - a venerable Coolpix995)
Don't want to spend a fortune so was thinking of a now superseded model...
Probably some kind of "Bridge" Camera
Does anyone have any recommendations...
ScottD

Re: Camera Reccomendation

Post by ScottD »

approx. budget?
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

From looking at the cameras used by people who post photos here, the Panasonic Lumix FZ series of 'bridge' cameras are highly regarded and produce excellent butterfly photos.

Older models, like the FZ38, are still widely used and, of current models, the FZ150 seems to be a favourite.

Mike
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

The FZ38 looks a good recommendation...
I'll probably take the flea bay route for a camera so £100 - £150 second hand is my budget...
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi there jasonbirder,
Mike is right, the FZ range seems to be popular.
I've been using the Panasonic Lumix FZ150 for the last 2 years. I just use 2 settings and that covers all that I need to do, although you can control all the parameters you want.
Sometimes I wish I had a bit better photo quality but I blame myself rather than the equipment - the saying could go : you get what you pay for, unless you know how to use it properly !!
The best feature is the swivelling screen for ground-level and over-the-top butterfly / insect shots. In the field I detach the lens cover string and the strap from the camera so nothing gets in the way, otherwise it all dangles just in front of the subject. The battery will give over 400 shots. I have a non-genuine 2nd battery in reserve (a genuine battery costs a bomb). My FZ150 cost 499.00 Euros 2 years ago. A work mate recently purchased a more recent FZ200 (also with swivelling screen) and I believe he paid around 399.00 Euros, so they are getting cheaper all the time. If I change camera again, the priority feature would still be a pivoting or tilting screen.
Check out also the SONY DSC-HX300: 50x zoom, 20.6 Mpixels, tilting screen.
Panasonic FZ150 :
FZ150.jpg
Cheers, Chris.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi
I bought a fz150 on eBay almost unused for £160 last year and can thoroughly recommend it. I use it more than the significantly more expensive - and heavy - canon D60 that I own and the pictures are favourably comparable.
Highly recommended. The articulated screen is also extremely useful for high and low level shots.
Good luck
Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.

Return to “Photography”