Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Wurzel

Post by Maximus »

Some very nice 'held back' :D photos again Wurzel and a great end of year report.

Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for your kind comments Philzoid :D I'm glad that it's not just me that saw the variation in the Small Pearls. Looking forward to testing out theories this year - it's been quite mild so I reckon that if things stay this way we could have another browny-orange rather than red Small Pearl year :?
Cheers Neil :D I was made up with the DGF - I've been trying for one of those for a few years now :D
Cheers Mike :D 'Just' the Browns, Hairstreaks, Duke and Blues to go now...

Browns
068 - Copy-001.JPG
A tricky group to judge as they often so numerous you can’t see the wood for the trees or they are restricted to a particular and not common habitat or even they are very widely dispersed. All these factors mean that best guesses and gut feelings might not match up with other people’s perceptions...

26 Specked Wood, 1st May Enford (pull in)

This year was a lot like the last for me with Specklies in that they kind of crept up on me through the year. They were quite sparse during the early part of the year and then in subsequent broods their numbers built steadily though I’m not sure that they were any higher than last year. On later trips at the tail end of the season they were often the most numerous species around with one visit to Bolderwood in the New Forest yielding 6 or 7 over the course of an hour’s gentle stroll. I must confess here that after the initial sighting I did tend to ignore the poor old specklies unless one presented itself to me crying out for me to take its photo. Then later in the summer, early in the autumn, while other species were dwindling I was struggling to find butterflies to photograph there were the Specklies. This could be why I felt their numbers built though even though I wasn’t always photographing them I was noticing them.
Where the story differed was in that they were later, by a little over a month in fact for me personally so perhaps this could explain the lower numbers in the first brood? They were held up by the weather and then when it turned out nice they prospered a pretty common story for the earlier spring species.
SPW 098-001.JPG
SPW 116 - Copy-001.JPG
27 Wall, 2nd June Marshie Site

For me this year was an amazing year for Wall Browns, in that I was lucky enough to find them at two...yes two different sites! I can usually scrabble together a single sighting but to stumble across two was just unbelievable. I was considering visiting Pennington and Keyhaven later in the summer as well but decided against it as I didn’t want to use all my “Wall Luck” up!
As usual for me both were total flukes. The first was on the memorable day out with Philzoid surrounded by Small Blues, Marsh Frits and battling butterflies. The second was at Lulworth during a stolen half hour on a family holiday visit. This must be the way for me to find Wall Browns – go looking for something else and one will turn up unexpectedly and try to steal the show!
From looking at other reports and sighting records they seemed to do well overall this year but this is one of those species that I find difficult to judge securely as they aren’t common and are so widely dispersed. I can only go on seeing them at two sites...I still can’t believe that!
203 - Copy-002.JPG
525 - Copy-001.JPG
28 Marbled White, 1st July Five Rivers

Things were definitely moving on by the time the Marbled Whites were emerging as they were starting to catch up on their emerging dates from last year, only 5 days later. Also it was another good year for them overall. Saying that I did notice that at some sites they were doing really well and at others they seemed slightly down. For instance they were definitely up at Larkhill and Woodhenge whilst at Martin Down they seemed to have dropped off ever so slightly. This may just be part of the natural rhythms of sites so I’m keen to check this year to see if they have a slight upturn in those areas which I felt were down slightly.
Having discovered the key to Marbled White shots was to make morning visits Larkhill and Woodhenge provided me with the majority of my shots this year including some that I’d hoped for but thought that I wouldn’t be able to get – my dew bedecked Marbs. I also noticed that some of the first females that I saw where very strongly marked on the undersides, some appearing almost lemon and cream though I econ this was just because of how fresh they were.
073 - Copy-002.JPG
051 - Copy-002.JPG
29 Grayling, 29th July Godshill

I managed to locate Graylings slightly earlier this year than last but I don’t put that down to their emergence changing, more likely it was because I was out looking for them earlier. My usual spot – the Triangle at Godshill was the site of my first sighting and whilst there I saw more than I’ve ever seen before so a good year for the Grayling I think. I don’t think I saw such a great range of colouration this year compared to last, most were of the brown or black variety but I didn’t find the grey individuals that I saw last year – some environmental response to temperature during pupation perhaps?
They are serious contenders for my favourite butterfly (though the Lulworth Skipper will probably hold out due to my Dorset roots) as I love practically everything about them – their cryptic patterning, their behaviours, their habitat and the timing of their imago with generally the best weather that this country gets. What made it a good yea particularly for me was that quite by chance I saw a couple at Studland whilst on my annual pilgrimage/family holiday. One practically greeted me upon our arrival at the car park and I got a few shots which featured in a ‘Where’s the Grayling?” post. A second landed on my left arm and then flew off when I tried to stretch it out so I could photograph it taking salts from my elbow. It did return but this time it landed on my right arm so I couldn’t get any shots as I can’t operate my camera with my left hand – it gets in the way of the lens when I try to press the shutter.
Grayling 1 099 - Copy-001.JPG
Grayling 2 194 - Copy-001.JPG
30 Hedge Brown/Gatekeeper 14th July Bentley Wood

Actually two days early than last year and what was quite coincidental was that last year I was looking for Purple Emperors when I saw my first hedge Brown and so it was this year too. They seemed to do really well last year so if felt like they were slightly down on that this year yet they were still doing well.
We generally visit my outlaws over at Ffos-yffin near Aberaeron just as the Graylings and Silver Spots are emerging. To keep my hand in and ward off the envy brought on by reading of others exploits with Chalkhills etc I spend my time chasing down every single Hedge Brown that I can find along the high and ancient hedgerows near their home. It never ceases to amaze me the level of variation that seems to abound in the one little area - it can’t be because of isolation as the whole countryside around is interlinked with mile upon mile of hedgerows/wildlife corridors. My best guess is that it comes down to probability – as the habitat is so good and there are plenty of Hedge Browns here there is a greater chance of something more unusual cropping up. If it does I’m there camera at the ready :wink:
Gatekeeper 1 120 - Copy-001.JPG
Gatekeeper 2 374 - Copy-001.JPG
Gatekeeper 3 342 - Copy-001.JPG
31 Meadow Brown, 19th June The Devenish

Just under a week later this year and things seemed to be catching up by June – the usual quiet period between broods didn’t really seem to happen things just ran into each other and late caught up with those that were on time. It was difficult to tell whether things were on a par or better than last year but my overall gut feeling was that numbers were up. There definitely seemed to be more about but their ubiquity makes anything more than a best guess futile. Highlights for the year included various morning visits to Larkhill to find them dew bedecked and some seemed almost tearful.
234 - Copy-001.JPG
060 - Copy-001.JPG
32 Small Heath, 1st June Duke Site

I didn’t see my first Small Heath until a few weeks later this year than in 2012 though whether that was because I wasn’t looking in the right place or just because everything was still catching up from the slow start to the season I’m not too sure? Once they were flying I wasn’t in two minds about their numbers. On the one hand I’m fairly confident that they didn’t lose ground this year in that I saw them at all the usual sites and where I’d expect to see them and also there seemed to be more of them about. They were almost back to their annoying best competing with Ringlets and Meadow Browns for the role of ‘spookiest’ butterfly – not scary like, just very good at putting up other butterflies that you’re trying to photograph. On the other hand I still don’t think that they were up to their full strength so still down compared to where they were a few years hence. Hopefully though they have reached their low ebb and are now on the upward swing.
039 - Copy-001.JPG
049 - Copy-001.JPG
33 Ringlet, 23rd June The Devenish

Ringlets were a few days earlier this year than last but only because I was lucky enough to find the first for the county (and possibly the country?). That being said seeing the first on the county and it only being a few days earlier than my first sighting last year tells the true story that things were still not up to the same speed as in 2012. The drier year this year also seemed to slow their emergence and unlike last year they seemed to be around in smaller numbers but also lasting longer into the season. In fact I found a very fresh individual at Alners Gorse in the tail end of August, so fresh it was still a gorgeous chocolate colour and had its white wing fringes intact. I’m not sure if this was a second brood though that seems more likely than a very extended flight period.
192 - Copy-001.JPG
157 - Copy-002.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Some very good observations and stylish assessments you've made in your reports Wurzel :) . The browns are a very difficult group to monitor population trends for the reasons you covered in your overview.

Despite the lack of any real data I would say that Gatekeeper numbers were down on 2013, and I base that assumption on encountering very few "False Hairstreaks" in August when looking for the Brown version on Bookham Commons. Similarly Hedgies didn’t seem to show up in good numbers around the Surrey heath land sites I routinely visit in July, but there-again part of that might have been due to focussing too heavily on Silver studs and Grayling the latter of which also seemed down on the previous year.
Other than those two I would say the others fared as well as the previous years with perhaps Small Heath a showing a slight increase.

Phil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Philzoid :D Interesting observations about the Gatekeeper I too thought that they weren't as good as last year but still doing well. I guess I was lucky with the Graylings - perhaps seeing them at another sight skewed my perceptions?

Metalmarks
393 - Copy-002.JPG
34 Duke of Burgundy, 1st June Sidbury Hill

The early spring butterflies all seemed to be affected adversely by the long cold winter which carried on through March and into April. But the Dukes seemed to buck this trend and it felt like they had a good year. :D

After my first, very brief encounter with a Duke at Martin Down I’ve been relying solely on the small and fragile Bentley population. This year however I got a tip off from Rob H and visited a new site which paid dividends. As it was a Downland site they appeared earlier then the woodland population at Bentley Wood and also the place was crawling with them. They were fairly well distributed across the grasslands but one stretch of path in particular held more Dukes than my previous cumulative life total! This actually made photography harder as they were constantly squabbling with each other. Two would be involved in a brawl and then one would break away and start on a new victim. Even the admonishments of my younger daughter didn’t get them to behave. :shock:

Seeing them in greater numbers than I was used to meant that I witnessed much more variation in their colouring and markings which was surprising. I know that the females/Duchesses are more heavily marked but some individuals had orange chequering across most of their wings. Also the ground colour ranged from the darkish brown to a rich chocolate through to almost black.

I was also lucky enough to catch up with a Bentley Duke later in the season so should the powers that be decide to ‘split’ them and make a taxonomic distinction between the two habitat ‘forms’ I’ve got both shots in the bag ready. The Woodland populations seem to emerge later which may eventually lead to temporal isolation triggering speciation...possibly.

So a really good year for Dukes let’s hope that 2014 proves to be equally as successful – it should after all the effort being out into this species from other areas.
454 - Copy-002.JPG
DOB 208 - Copy-002.JPG
DOB 479 - Copy-002.JPG
DOB 463 - Copy-001.JPG
DOB 159 - Copy-002.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

William

Post by William »

Those shots of the Duke on the Daisy are magnificent Wurzel :D :D

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

William wrote:Those shots of the Duke on the Daisy are magnificent Wurzel :D :D
That reminded me of 'Daisy Duke' from the 'Dukes of Hazard' William :D They are lovely shots Wurzel.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Another couple of great posts Wurzel :D

Interesting comments on the 'Browns,' mostly broadly in line with my impressions.

Great Duke shots, I just saw them at Prestbury Hill on the one visit last year but my impression was they were doing better than 2012.

Cheers,

Neil.

Butterflysaurus rex

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Wurzel! :D have an extra good goodun :wink:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Many Happy Returns Wurzel :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Have a great birthday Wurzel, have a real goodun :D

Mike

Susie

Post by Susie »

Happy birthday! :)

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Many happy returns of the day Wurzel. Have a great one. :D :D

All the best, Nick.

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Have a goodun (birthday, that is) :D

Vince

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Crikey...is it your birthday? Hope it's a been goodun :wink:

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers William :D They were a right pain to get as the breeze would catch the flower and send it rocking back and forth like something from a kiddies play park. :shock: :roll:
Cheers Rex :D That image stayed with me all day - Daisy Duke and THOSE shorts 8)
Cheers Neil :D I liked your report on the Specklies it seemed to tie in with my impressions :D

A huge thank you to Rex, Neil, Mike, Susie, Nick, Vince and Lee for the Birthday Wishes - they certainly helped me to have a 'goodun' both then and since :D :D :D

Out and About Some More...
007 - Copy-001.JPG
Last weekend we took a trip over the border to visit my folks. After a spot of lunch we geared up in waterproofs and boots and ventured out to get some fresh air. It soon became apparent that Sixpenny Handley hadn’t escaped the winter storms as some of the shots below show - it may look like a stream but it’s actually the road to Garston Wood. Yet despite the wind damage and the saturation everywhere there were signs of spring as Snowdrops tried their hardest to push through.
010 - Copy-001.JPG
The Road to Garston Wood...apparently
The Road to Garston Wood...apparently
019 - Copy-001.JPG

This weekend we also had a brief respite from the wind and the rain and so once again I ventured out for a quick walk around the local area. The path across to Harnham was submerged and the water ran across it at quite a speed.
029 - Copy-001.JPG
Further on round at Fisherton Island there was a problem at the bridge as a large tree was stuck and couldn’t get under so a group of locals were wading in with chainsaws to dislodge it and stop it damming the bridge. Rather them than me and so I stayed warm and dry and tried to find some butterflies. I had a feeling that I might be lucky but this part of my walk wasn’t the best habitat wise – all the buildings for butterflies to bask on were on the other side of the river so I settled for the spring flowers. There were Violets (I think), Snow Drops, Daffs and a Primrose too. All in February which just goes to show that all the wind and rain has masked how mild it’s been. Whether this is a good thing for butterflies I’m not too sure?
034 - Copy-001.JPG
035 - Copy-001.JPG
038 - Copy-001.JPG
042 - Copy-001.JPG
062 - Copy-001.JPG
I was almost home just about to turn the corner onto my street when a movement in a garden caught my eye. I approached expecting it to just be a large brown leaf, which is what it has been the previous hundred times I’ve checked a similar looking movement this year. Yet this time it was a Small Tortoiseshell fluttering around in the garden. I was very cheeky and made as if to head down the path to ring the doorbell, crouched, took a few shots and then swiftly beat a retreat with a huge smile on my face. Looks like my gut feeling that there would be butterflies paid off – perhaps it was an early Birthday Pressie?
068 - Copy-001.JPG
085 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Happy Birthday Wurzal, it was mine last week :D another Aqua person :lol:

Love your photo's of the flowers and STS lets hope we see more of them.

I was wondering about the affects of the weather (being so mild this Winter) on those Long Tailed Blues and hoping maybe we'd see them again this year, hoping really that they just may have got through our Winter this time, that would be great.
At the same time wondering about the Large Blues in Somerset and if the floods have affected them in any way, I suppose
we'll soon find out. Goldie :?:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice one Wurzel, really liking that first Small Tortoiseshell photo :D

Too busy building up the brownie points lately to get out anywhere myself, maybe this coming weekend if the weather is not too bad.

Cheers,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Small Tortoiseshell, Wurzel! I'm envious - my excursion in bright sunshine at the weekend was cut short as a key part of my usual walk locally has disappeared beneath the River Colne...

Dave

Butterflysaurus rex

Looking at your photos spring really has gone "boing" Wurzel :shock: I'm still waiting to see my first butterfly of 2014.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

nfreem wrote:Nice one Wurzel, really liking that first Small Tortoiseshell photo
I agree with Neil, the first ST is a lovely image!

Best wishes

Lee
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Personal Diaries”