IVY ADVICE

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Paul Harfield

IVY ADVICE

Post by Paul Harfield »

I am in the process of revamping my small garden. Making my garden even more butterfly friendly whilst also keeping the wife happy is my intention, if that is possible :? I am attempting to use as many wild and native plants as I can whilst also keeping it organised/tidyish and decorative.

Can anybody give me advice on what the factors are that influence when common Ivy will start to flower. Is it purely the age of the plant? is a shaded or sunny aspect more likely to get Ivy into flower sooner? Is height important? Does common Ivy flower more profusely than some of the more decorative varieties?

Any suggestions appreciated :D
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: IVY ADVICE

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Jack - nothing concrete, but some observations.

I have Holly Blue larvae on my ivy every year and the ivy is quite mature, covering 6 sq. metres of wall, is south-facing (gets full sun) and is sheltered by a conservatory on one side and garden fence on the other. In spring I cut it back quite heavily (it can get into everything - and make a right mess of any double glazing seals if you're not careful), but then leave it to flower in late summer, when the Holly Blues make the most of it. In conclusion - a level of maturity (for it to flower) and aspect is important.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Paul Harfield

Re: IVY ADVICE

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Pete

Thanks for the advice/information.

To be honest I had Ivy in the garden, that flowered for the first or second time last year. Unfortunately my wife enlisted some help one day whilst I was at work :shock: You guessed it, they cut the lot down :x The thing is I can not remember how long it had been there before it flowered. I guess I will just have to be patient.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”