Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 17.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 201

Post by Wurzel »

Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary

This was taken at Bentley Wood early one morning in June. Over the course of the morning I saw several Small PBFs but this one was my clear favourite. It took a fair bit of crawling around, twisting my neck into uncomfortable positions (more like a Barn Owl than a human) and plenty of frustration as it would flutter its wings just as I’d lined the shot up. Eventually everything fell into place for this shot – possibly the centre piece of my ‘stained glass window’ collection.
Small Pearl (Bentley Wood 09-06).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Thats a lovely photo you've taken there Wurzel.

My last photo of the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary was this male in 2012 at Rowland Wood in East Sussex. The photo has taken on a poignancy for me because I only saw one Small Pearl at this site in 2013 where the species had a very poor showing at this, its last remaining Sussex location. I'm sure that I am not the only Sussex member holding his breath for the coming season. It would be a crying shame if this beautiful fritillary failed to appear in 2014.
Attachments
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary (m) 21.6.12 East Sussex. Downalnd boy.JPG
CFB

Post by CFB »

Wurzel, that's a lovely photo!!!
--
Colin
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'm sad to say this year I missed seeing the SPF but I can't be too bothered really because in 2012 I still have my thought's on the one I saw then and may never see again.Goldie :(
Attachments
SWPBF ab ALBA 4th June 2012 GB 089.jpg
SWPBF ab Alba 4th June 2012 080.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Still absolutely stunning a year on, Goldie.

Here's one from Bentley Wood on 9th June showing what they normally look like!
SPBF5 090613.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Downlandboy and CFB :D I was made up with that shot :D although the aberrant Goldie found is out of this world, absolutely stunning :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Have a goodun

Wurzel
IAC

Post by IAC »

The Small Pearls in the south and east of Scotland are quite scarce indeed. There has been this last few seasons a very good recording effort, and as a result a few colonies have been found. The photos here are from a large colony in central Berwickshire on the margins of an old raised bog. The fields hold huge numbers of Marsh Violet that sustain a good number of butterflies at peak. In 2014 the butterflies were very late to emerge, but when they did, it was quite a spectacle. On the morning of the 21st of June I counted 189 Small Pearls in a circuit of the field boundaries....there were very many more than I could sensibly count. It was quite a privilege to spend those few hours that day among, in my opinion, the most delicate of butterflies.

Iain.
Attachments
IMG_0001_2.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001_1.jpg
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

All stunning photos above.

We saw the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries at Bentley Wood in June and what delightful little butterflies they are.

IMG_7373 copy.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My favourite photos of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries were taken whilst on a Family holiday in North Devon in mid June. Having managed to 'negotiate' a days butterflying, I had driven to Volehouse Moor to see Marsh Fritillaries, a first for me, and after spending the morning there decided to carry on to Marsland on the North Devon/Cornwall border.

After wandering about a bit I followed a path down toward the sea where it joined up with the SW Coast Path by where a footbridge crossed over a stream. Around this one small sheltered area I found at least a couple of dozen SPBFs and spent a fantastic hour or so just sitting and watching them flit about and nectaring on the clumps of what I think was Wild Thyme that were growing along the banks of the stream.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Marsland 18.06.2013
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries - Marsland 18.06.2013
This was one of those occasions when it was most enjoyable just sitting and watching, in fact a fair few of my photos were taken whilst I just sat there with the butterflies flitting about around me, a truly magical experience :D

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I know that unforgettable feeling Neil, I didn't realize it until I'd put my photo's into uk butterfies and found just how rare my Butterfly was, I think that's why I enjoy the Butterflies so much, it's not just the taking of the pictures but the unpridictable things you could find each time you venture out Goldie :D
John W

Post by John W »

downland boy wrote: My last photo of the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary was this male in 2012 at Rowland Wood in East Sussex. The photo has taken on a poignancy for me because I only saw one Small Pearl at this site in 2013 where the species had a very poor showing at this, its last remaining Sussex location. I'm sure that I am not the only Sussex member holding his breath for the coming season. It would be a crying shame if this beautiful fritillary failed to appear in 2014.
Yes I visited Park Corner Heath twice in 2013 and didn't see a single specimen, after seeing plenty the previous year. I have a horrible feeling that we won't see any there this year :(
David M

Post by David M »

The Alun Valley site in south Wales isn't just notable for High Brown Fritillaries; there are plenty of Small Pearl Bordereds there too. Here's one from 6th June:
3SPBFund(1).jpg

Return to “Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary”