When is a blade of grass not a blade of grass?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
55bloke

Post by 55bloke »

padfield wrote:The mantis holding the Berger's clouded yellow is a nymph of Empusa pennata - identified as nymph or adult by the projection ('crest') on the head, recalling something one might see on a dinosaur!!

There is, of course, a human-sized praying mantis in episode 4 of Season 1 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, if anyone wants to know what one looks like.

Guy
A fellow Buffy fan?!!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

55bloke wrote: A fellow Buffy fan?!!
Does this answer your question?

Buffy, my dog and my cat, chilling out a couple of summers (gedditt?) ago...

Guy

:oops:
55bloke

Post by 55bloke »

You're clearly a man of taste!! :wink: What's the story with the pic?
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Oh, no story really. B just popped in for a cup of tea on her way to the cemetery. :roll:

Guy
Chris

Post by Chris »

made me look twice! Nice photoshopping... especially the light!
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

There are indeed quite a few black squirrels near Cambridge - they are actually still "grey" squirrels, but interbreeding has led to this melanistic form of the same species. Very photogenic. Saying that, (as with my wine) I much prefer reds :wink: Greys have obviously taken over and, like them or loathe them, are essentially now part of our native wildlife. Very sad for our native reds, but we only have ourselves to blame.
Much the same is rapidly happening to the (now extremely rare)native "white-clawed" crayfish in our rivers... American Signal Crayfish literally pave the bottoms of many rivers now and are spreading at an alarming rate (wiping out our "natives" with a disease to which they themselves are immune). As a keen angler, I have witnessed their insidious march through our waterways first hand (although few non river users seem to appreciate just how serious the situation is getting). If you haven't got any in your area yet, BEWARE... they WILL reach you very soon and there is little anyone is able to do about it. :evil:

Trev
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

there is a silver lining to the crayfish invasion... the perch are getting enormous on this vast supply of protein snacks. no doubt the perch record will soon be broken.

charles
55bloke

Post by 55bloke »

55bloke wrote:You're clearly a man of taste!! :wink: What's the story with the pic?
Well, my 1st thought was that it must be photoshopped, but just thought I'd ask!! :oops:
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Charles... you have PM.

Trev
55bloke

Post by 55bloke »

Mantis' must surely be THE ultimate insect predator!! Thank God they don't get any bigger- if you put PREYING MANTIS into the search box of Youtube, there's some truly jaw-dropping clips on there! A little gruesome perhaps, but there's footage of Mantis' eating things you'd neverbelieve possible! Including a humming bird, a snake, a lizzard, a fish (!) and even a mouse!!!! :shock:
Charles Nicol

ther squirrel

Post by Charles Nicol »

here is that squirrel again !!

charles

Return to “General”