Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Philzoid

Re: Wurzel

Post by Philzoid »

Without conferring
Difficult opener :shock:
1). Meadow Brown; Hairstreak (White Letter?); Female Common Blue
2). Peacock (2); Silver-washed Fritillary and Meadow Brown
3). Common Blue; Small Tort; Small White and Peacock
4). Small Tort; Peacock Large White
5). Gatekeeper (3); Small Tort and peek-a-boo Peacock
6). Meadow Brown (male); Small Tort (2) and Peacock
7). White in flight; Small Tort; Peacock and two Green-veined Whites

Great Fun :D

Graylings are one of my top 10 too. The number of times I've stood and stared hunched over the where they've landed only only to concede as my patience to runs out or my back to gives way. Crafty characters Graylings. :D

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

No worries Mike - it was only a brief mention in passing in my first attempt at writing a book and there was some other book featuring a Red and White bedecked person that you had to find before that :? :wink:
Cheers Nick it's one of the advantages of living down here in the soft south :wink: :lol:
Cheers David, Jack, Dave and Philzoid I hope it helped pass the time. :D Here are the ones that I can see...mind you there could be more in there somewhere.

1. Meadow Brown, Brown Hairstreak and Common Blue
2. Peacock (2), Meadow Brown and Silver Washed Frit
3. Brown Argus, Silver Y, Small White, Small Tort and Peacock
4. Red Admiral, Small Tort (and a second hiding near the bottom of the shot), Peacock, Large White and Comma
5. Hedge Brown, Peacock, Small Tort (2) and Meadow Brown (2)
6. Meadow Brown, Hedge Brown, Peacock, Small Tort (2) and what I think is a Chalkhill Blue on the right hand side, level with the Peacock and side on
7. Small Tort, Hedge Brown, Meadow Brown (2), White (small? X2), Peacock and a Blue with wings almost closed between the Bumble Bee and the whites.

Out and about...

So I don’t get ridiculously behind with my PD like I did at the end of last year I thought I better get on and post this one whilst I was at least in the same fortnight. Over the Christmas period the weather was pretty bad bordering on atrocious but there were the occasional dry spells – sometimes only an hour or so long, so I would then make a quick trip to town to get those things we needed to get us through. It also had the added bonus of seeing what was about although photography was difficult due to the dreary weather.
As there were no butterflies around (save for Bob) I trained my lens on the local avian population, setting my camera to ‘Sports’ mode as I’ve found that this seems to do the trick with such mobile targets.
On the first trip out I followed the river through the Maltings up towards the library stopping on the way to scan across for Water Voles that frequent this part of the river as well as the usual Black Headed and the less often seen Lesser Black Backed Gulls. Up near the library I scanned up the river as this is a good little area which has previously held Little Grebes and a Wood Duck amongst the Coots, Moorhens, Swans and Mallard. It proved to be a hotspot again as this time a Pintail was present skulking on the other side of the river just within reach of my lens.
001 - Copy-001.JPG
009 - Copy-001.JPG
Another multi-species shot
Another multi-species shot
019 - Copy-001.JPG
The thing about these unexpected sightings in urban environments is that the birds are often closer than they would normally be and so you can really appreciate the subtle markings. In the case of the Pintail I’d never really noticed the greenish tinge on the side of the usually chocolate head or the chestnut. Nor had I appreciated the wonderful patterning along the flanks, from a distance or through a scope it normally just looks grey but here the intricate black and white stood out. It’s great to be able to soak up the details.
On a second trip out along the same route I relocated the Pintail slightly further upstream and by crossing over one of the footbridges I managed to get just above it. I was just lining up my shot when some complete t@$$£r chucked a bottle into the river and it set off. Luckily I was in ‘Sports’ mode again so a few shots, a quick remonstration at the miscreant and I managed to locate it hiding out in the foliage downstream slightly.
036 - Copy-001.JPG
048 - Copy-001.JPG
Later that afternoon I took my younger daughter to the park and all the while I was swinging the swing I kept an eye over at the flood meadows and the gulls circling. Once my little girl was all swung out we strolled back home via a circular route so I could have a closer look at the gulls. There was another couple of Herring and Less Backs as well as the ubiquitous Black Headed Gulls. The former were staying further away out on the meadow, using the odd fence post as a perching spot whilst the latter were coming down to bread thrown to the ducks.
055 - Copy-001 (2).JPG
058 - Copy-001.JPG
065 - Copy-001.JPG
On my final trip the light was just superb and everything was shimmering and sparkling in the sun. Up by the library the Pintail had finally come out into the decent light and was also on the right side of the river for me to get a few closer shots which showed off the lovely markings on the bill to good effect. I also managed to capture one of the balletic poses on ‘film’ as it stretched itself out. As I wandered homewards I watched a group of Mallards braving the raging torrent on the other side of the Mill, thinking better of it and then clambering back up the bank pretty smartish. The waters were flowing faster than I’ve ever seen before and at times the churned mass looked like ice as it foamed and boiled billowing bubbles everywhere.
094 - Copy-001.JPG
100 - Copy-001.JPG
105 - Copy-001.JPG
111 - Copy-001.JPG
Only a few more months now!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

A great post Wurzel and a great way to spend a winter's day outdoors. Love the poseur Pintail shots :D

Hope the remostration didn't land you in any trouble :shock:

Phil

David M

Post by David M »

Pin-sharp images, Wurzel. Lovely stuff!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Philzoid :D I didn't get into any strife over the remonstration, I mean I only questioned whether he would like to try "sex and travel" :wink:
Cheers David for your kind comment - it's all in the light I reckon :D

Out and about some more...

I’ve used the expression “what a difference a week makes” or various versions of it many times but just recently it’s been more a case of “what difference a week makes? Absolutely nothing!” After getting my Pintail shots a little over a week ago I took a little walk to the park with my girls on the Sunday and there was water everywhere. The water meadows were just water, most of the paths were submerged and the slow, clear shallow river of the summer was a raging torrent. Luckily there was one path to the park which was slightly higher than the others and the park itself formed a little island. Once they’d had a swing or three I left them in my wife’s hands so I could have a quick mooch.
003 - Copy-001.JPG
Out on the water meadows there were a couple of Lesser and a Great Black Backed in amongst the usual gull roost. The Mallard were sheltering in the slower currents along the remaining vegetation but out in the middle of the meadow was something different. As I strained my eyes in the gloom I could make out a streamlined grey body with a white rump patch and the head was a chestnut red, a female Goosander. Further along path (I say path, I mean remaining stretch of non submerged ground) I saw a second darting along the river, bobbing amongst the torrents and eddies like a white water raft. This was my first record of Goosander at Lizzie Gardens and what made it more remarkable is that if I give the county recorder a grid reference it’ll be for the middle of a field! :shock:
012 - Copy-001.JPG
013 - Copy-001.JPG
This weekend things were very much the same – same jobs, park visit, same torrents on the river and same floods everywhere. The only real difference was the timing of our visit, just as the afternoon sun was on the turn. It had been a beautiful clear sunny day and as the sun fell the water started to glow with pinks and ambers. In this light even the usually ugly Black Headed Gulls look lovely.
031 - Copy-001.JPG
034 - Copy-001.JPG
038 - Copy-001.JPG
Last year we had a really long and cold winter with spring not arriving properly until almost May and once they’d caught up the butterflies were fantastic. But should we be concerned this year? Will the floods have destroyed larvae, pupae and habitats? It’s been quite mild as well which is good news for parasites and bad for their host species isn’t it? I await the spring with baited breath...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just doing some catching up Wurzel, nice couple of posts :D

I know what you mean with the 'different day, same stuff' type comments, this weekend for me was a bit of a re-run of last weekend but in my case it was catching up on stuff around the house :roll:

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil for your kind comments :D January and February have always been the same since I've been into butterflies, but catching up on those jobs means that I've already earnt two trips out during the season in Brownie Points :D Just don't let on to my wife, she'll make me go out birding to use them up now :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

End of Year Tally 2013

Over the past couple of years I have tried to complete retrospectives of the seasons sightings. First I wrote a couple of self published books (one as my attempt at an ID guide/tick list and the other as a Site Guide) and last year I hit upon the idea of a look back, group by group, species by species to remember the highlights, the low points and consider their fortunes over the passing year. It also gave me the opportunity to show case some of my other favourite shots of the various species that I’d taken so that I didn’t clog up the Species Specific Favourites thread. Most importantly I really enjoyed working on it and it kept my busy with butterflies for a few months during the dead season.

So this year rather than working on another book I thought I’d carry on my idea from last year hence the start of my Group Posts. Much of my commentary on how well a species has done is based not on hard statistical data but on gut feeling and more of a general sense. That being said this year I can make comparisons with last year which is an improvement. The other thing is that last year I placed the Duke in with the Fritillaries only as a nod to its historical common name whereas this year I’ve placed the Duke in its own group before the Blues as they’re the only representative of their group, the Metalmarks, in Europe.
Any way better get started...

The Skippers
267 - Copy-001.JPG
1 Small Skipper, 5th July The Devenish

After a delayed and slow start to the year seemed to have caught up by time Small Skippers were around as my first this year was a couple of days earlier than last year. In terms of numbers they seemed to be comparable with last year. My first of the year was very fleeting as it was on a very brief stop-off at the Devenish. So fleeting in fact that I only got 2 photos! Luckily I located the small population at Middle Street, a short walk along the Town Path from my house and so I could get my fill of this delightful little butterfly. I think I’ll need to spend a little more time here next year to supplement Larkhill and at least I won’t get into trouble for being late home...
013 - Copy-001.JPG
079-001.JPG
2 Essex Skipper, 10th July Larkhill

I felt a lot better about the plight of the Essex Skipper this year. 2012 seemed to be a tricky year for them with wet spells during their main emergence and the wet weather hampering my visits so much so that I almost totally missed them at Five Rivers. Yet this year they bounced back which I had hoped that they would and they were at all their usual haunts around me including Five Rivers. I also found them at Lulworth Cove which meant that on one visit I saw four different species of Skippers, a regular Smessex-fest and very sore knees from checking ‘ink-pads’. This was totally unlike my first of the year as it sat up almost at head height showing off the ink-pads for all to see.
ES 070 - Copy-001.JPG
3 Lulworth Skipper, 1st August Lulworth Cove

The main difference for me this year when looking for Lulworths was that as I was heading to Dorset on a camping holiday in early August I didn’t make a visit earlier which gave me a skewed impression as both Bindon Hill and the Cove itself seem to be better as early sites. Perhaps I should have visited Durlston this year as the timing should have meant that they were in full emergence? Still lesson learned for next time.
Another lesson learned was how gregarious they are. Last year I was so enthralled to be seeing them for the first time I somehow managed to focus on one at a time. Whereas this year I noticed their behaviour more and they seemed to group together like hoodlums, ganging up on other butterflies that were using the same nectar sources.
My general feeling is that they weren’t as numerous this year as last. I am aware that they were still being seen at Durlson into late August (a hell of a time frame for such a small species) but I think that perhaps they suffered from the slow start to the season and never really caught up? Over successive years it seems that they’ve been emerging earlier and earlier and so perhaps this year they got caught out? It’ll be interesting to see if the cooler, later spring this year will mean a later emergence next year? Lulworth Skippers what a question causing species.
LuS 384 - Copy-001.JPG
LuS 544 - Copy-001.JPG
4 Silver Spotted Skipper, 10th August Stockbridge Down

This year I somehow managed to see my first Silver Spots on exactly the same day as last year! I would have liked to have seen them earlier in their emergence when they were more lime green but I was otherwise engaged in Wales so had to wait a bit to get to see them. Still they didn’t disappoint and whilst they weren’t all exactly fresh there were still some pretty tidy individuals around at Stockbridge Down. Was it just me or did they arrive on the scene earlier than usual? I’d only just seen my first Grayling and there were reports of Silver Spots rolling in! I think things had caught up after a relatively dry and warm summer.
One thing I’m fairly confident about is that for me they had a good year and I saw more at Stockbridge Down than ever before and also over a much wider area of the site. Over the last couple of visits/years I’ve mainly seen them on the short cropped turf about 100 metres along the path. This year I saw them all over the site including my first ovipositing female.
My best memory however was stumbling over a Silver Spot at Martin Down. My first ever Silver Spots were from here a few years back but over the last couple of years despite searching and searching on numerous trips I didn’t locate a single individual. So to rediscover them purely by chance was fantastic and may be why I felt they did well?
287 - Copy-002.JPG
352 - Copy-001.JPG
396 - Copy-002.JPG
5 Large Skipper, 17th June Larkhill

They seemed to emerge later than last year, possibly about a fortnight later? I saw them pretty much everywhere I went including Middle Street but I had a gut feeling that they weren’t quite as numerous. The main time I noticed this was when visiting Bentley Wood. Last year, whilst walking the rides, practically every movement ended with a little golden blob appearing on the foliage. That wasn’t the way this year. Perhaps it was just at that site as they seemed to be okay elsewhere or this could be due to my observing behaviour? After the initial find I must confess that I kind of ignored this species unless one was right there and in my face. There was often something else around that was demanding my attention or was more accessible and so perhaps my ‘gut feeling’ is due to me giving them short shrift?
LS 100 - Copy-001.JPG
LS 189 - Copy-001.JPG
LS 258 - Copy-001.JPG

6 Dingy Skipper, 19th May Martin Down

Dingy Skippers were only a week behind compared to last year so perhaps the butterflies were slightly catching up after the slow start. They seemed to be having a good year as I saw them at the usual range of sites as well as at some of the new sites that I visited. My general feeling was that after the first initial emergence they seemed to hang around for longer this year. Even if this hunch is wrong I definitely saw plenty.
My Dingy highlight was finding them in the moth like pose when they look like they’re almost cuddling the flower heads and the low point was not seeing one at Larkhill. Although saying that I haven’t seen them here over the last few years so perhaps the habitat isn’t up to scratch or perhaps it’s too far from other populations.
DS 1 357-001 (2).JPG
DS 2 494 - Copy-001.JPG
DS 3 199-002.JPG
7 Grizzled Skipper, 19th May Martin Down

The season started pretty slowly this year with very few sightings until the beginning of May and so I wasn’t surprised when Grizzlies didn’t make a show until later than last year, almost a fortnight behind in fact...
However despite this late start they seemed to do well with good numbers at Martin Down, sightings at Bentley Wood as well as sightings at a couple of my new sites including The Devenish. I was also dead chuffed to relocate another pair at Five Rivers for the second year on the trot so I’m hoping that they should be there this coming year. However the star for me was the first Grizzlie for Larkhill.
GS 027-002.JPG
GS 050-002.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Some lovely images there, Wurzel, particularly your first Dingy.

Although I'm looking at last year's butterflies it's having the effect of making me yearn even more for THIS year's first emergences!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers David :D Sorry to be increasing your yearning but console yourself that good things come to those who wait, last year was a great example of that as the summer emergents did really well :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great stuff Wurzel and interesting observations :D

Essex Skippers also seemed to do well around my patch with me seeing more at a couple of sites where I knew they occurred plus finding them for the first time at a new site for me.

Whilst in Dorset in both 2012 and 2013 I have found good numbers of Lulworth Skippers still on the wing at Durlston well into the first week of September. I know that Durlston is a known late site for these but like you say, its a hell of a flight period.

My impression for Large Skippers was that there were fewer on the wing at any one time but they seemed to be around for longer. No actual evidence as such for this, just my feeling around my local patch.

Looking forward to some more :D

Neil.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Wurzel,

Love the photos in your last few posts, :D especially the group shots of the Gulls, the 2nd to last Grizzled Skipper, and the Pintails. Keep them coming. :D

All the best, Nick.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzal love your Pic's of the Skipper's, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've yet to see the Exssex Skipper, Lulworth, and Grizzled, we plan to visit Bently Wood this year looking for the Purple Em and Silver Washed Frit which I've not had a good shot of yet, hope July to August is good for this visit that's when we plan to go.

I'd also love to visit Dorset again, may be we'll have to pick a time for that as well Goldie :D

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Utterly Skippertastic wurzel! :D My favourite one is the Grizzlie on the leaf, they can be tricky to photograph at times.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D It will be interesting to see if my gut ties in with your gut over some key species like Red Admirals etc
Cheers Nick :D It'll be difficult now I', back at work and entering the next 'busy time' but I'll try to keep getting out there :wink:
Cheers Goldie :D I might see you at Bentley then, I'll have a faded green (lucky) Australia hat on and the password is 'His Nibbs likes Bad Boy Shrimp paste' :shock: :D .
Cheers Rex :D I know what you mean about Grizzlies, little supersonic balls of fluff they are :roll: :D

Out and about take 3

After what felt like an eternity the sun finally shone on, appropriately enough, Sunday. As the day drew on I gazed ever more longingly outside and for some reason I just knew that if I went out I would find a butterfly. After the usual chores and work my chance finally came and having dropped my younger daughter and my wife at her sisters for an hour or two my older daughter and I set out for a stroll and a chat. We’d only got as far as the next street down when looking up I spotted a dark mark on the wall that looked out of place. As we got nearer its triangular shape strongly suggested it was a butterfly and then as we drew level it became clear that that was indeed what it was. In fact it was a Red Admiral so doubling my species tally for 2014. :D

After a few shots it shifted position slightly and started walking towards the edge of the wall, like it was tracking the moving sun and trying to stay in the warmest of its rays. It seemed to be none the worse for wear as I couldn’t see any tears on its wings so we left it on its way hoping that should the surprisingly warm sun disappear, it would be able to find its way to a handy crevice.
008 - Copy-001.JPG
018 - Copy-001.JPG
028 - Copy-001.JPG
We skirted the park and had a quick look at the wooden bridge and the flooded Town Path before carrying on to Fisherton Mill. I was hoping to find a few Reed Buntings in range of my lens but the best I could find were distant Goldfinches and various hybrid feral ducks. My daughter was amazed to see gardens submerged but was equally fascinated by the Catkins a reminder of how mild this winter has been.
030 - Copy-001.JPG
We then headed back home taking a brief detour to follow the path round to gaze over the submerged meadows. The water still looks as high and the rivers carving past were visible only because of eddies marking the boundary between the fast flowing and deeper waters and the languid and trapped flood.
046 - Copy-001.JPG
You know it's bad when even the ducks seek high ground!
You know it's bad when even the ducks seek high ground!
058 - Copy-001.JPG
After some time admiring the glinting sun we headed for home and behind us the clouds started to build and the temperature noticeably dropped. Unsurprisingly the Red Admiral had gone but it had done its job and lifted both our spirits. How much longer until spring?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Wurzel,

Lovely shots. :D Good to see you have got your second butterfly of the year, but have you noticed the extra white spots on the forewings outside the orange bands, towards the body and, also on the orange bands themselves. Looks like you have an aberration. :D

All the best, Nick.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Nick :D To be honest I hadn't noticed that it was an aberrant as I was just pleased to see my second butterfly in January, one to add to the aberrant folder then :D

The Whites
063 - Copy-002.JPG

8 Clouded Yellow, 10th August Stockbridge Down

It was with growing fascination that I kept seeing Clouded Yellows mentioned on the sightings board, fantastic photos in various PD’s and having general murmurings of “it’ll be one of those years”. Having only ever seen one of these lovely canary butterflies before I started looking more intently whenever I saw whites and with each trip I tried to kerb my growing impatience.
Eventually it happened, my second ever Clouded Yellow. I was at Stockbridge Down when a mustard rocket suddenly dropped down into the long grass. After a careful stalk it was revealed to me and I doubled my life tally of Cloudies. In fact by the end of the visit I’d actually quadrupled it! I then went on to see them at various sites. Martin Down held at least 5 on one visit and I could see at least 3 on subsequent visits too. Then there were a couple at my Duke site, 3 or 4 at Alners Gorse (which provide the best shots)and one at Mottisfont which was one of my favourites as I got to see a Cloudy with 2 other generations of Carters. Perhaps the most unusual sighting was on our return from Legoland. I was just stopping at the roundabout that led onto the M3 when one flew across my bonnet!
My Cloudy folder has gone from a couple of shots of one individual to male and females, worn, in flight, backlit male and females, ovi-positing and eggs. I’m still missing a Helice but then perhaps in a few years time? I know that this was the first good Cloudy year that I’ve experienced but I’m not sure if it’s a ‘proper’ cloudy year? I’ve read about “yellow clouds” and heard people recounting tales of fields of them so perhaps we are still to have the Cloudy year proper, this could just be the warm-up act, here’s hoping.
082 - Copy-001.JPG
181 - Copy-001.JPG
193 - Copy-001.JPG
9 Brimstone, 5th March Pewsey Vale School

I reckon number wise Brimstones did okay or at least as well as in previous years. I can’t say that at any point I was concerned that I hadn’t seen any. In fact they were present on pretty much every trip I made.
They were the second species of 2013 for me, a good few weeks earlier so bucking the trend of 2013 and I also saw one on my final day of sightings and this is why it’s hard to fathom how they fared overall, they were always around and so easy to forget at times. Saying that there is one individual from 2013 that I don’t think I’ll ever forget and that was the basking male at Shipton Bellinger.
099 - Copy-001.JPG
223 - Copy-001.JPG

10 Large White, 1st May Pewsey Vale School

Late in arriving, quickly large in numbers and long lasting; the best way to sum up the Large Whites fortunes this year. At the risk of sounding yobbish in a mid90’s style, they were having it Large in 2013.
Perhaps the most memorable Large White event was documented in my ‘Favourite’ posting for this species – the rescue of the LW from the 5 aside football pitch. I was also quite fortunate this year with the open wing shots probably because when they did start emerging the weather still wasn’t brilliant and so it was possible to find them grounded and nectaring with wings slightly open. I recall reading somewhere that butterflies use their wings to reflect heat onto their thoraxes to raise the temperature for flight. So with the cooler temperatures and cloudier weather during emergence those open wing shots were slightly easier to come by.
LW 008 - Copy.JPG
LW 192 - Copy-001.JPG
LW 267 - Copy-001.JPG

11 Small White, 25th April Salisbury

Like most of the spring butterflies Small Whites were later emerging this year, by a little over a month in this case. Yet despite being late eventually they were in fantastic numbers and I was still seeing them into October. It was almost that as they were late arriving once here they cracked on with it and in a very short space of time they were ubiquitous. As they have multiple broods, up to 3, in a year this ubiquity really became apparent as there seemed to be an overlap between the first and second brood so there wasn’t a noticeable early summer dip that I’ve experienced in previous years.
Reading back over this while thinking ahead it seems like the Small White is representative of a trend in population dynamics of the early spring species a bit like Punctuated Equilibrium. No Whites for ages and then all of a sudden loads and no more change for an extended time.
109 - Copy-002.JPG
079 - Copy-001.JPG
126 - Copy-001.JPG

12 Green-veined White, 1st May Enford (pull in)

These followed the same pattern as mentioned above and again were about a month later than 2012. What I really noticed this year was the sexual dimorphism displayed on the under wing markings. I was lucky enough to add many species to my ‘Copulating’ folder this year including the GVW . When I observed the pair it was almost like two different species with the female much more heavily marked and more lemon tinged then the male. I know that females are spotted and more heavily marked on the upper surfaces so I guess that this also reflected on the underside. It could just be that the male was worn, but I found the difference quite striking.
155 - Copy-001.JPG
186 - Copy-001.JPG

13 Orange-tip, 1st May Enford (pull in)

The late start to spring meant that my first of the year was much later almost a month in fact. But once seen they were around pretty much everywhere I went and in reasonable numbers but I reckon probably slightly down on last year. Whilst I saw them in the usual areas and also at one or two new sites I didn’t get nearly as many photos as last year. I think this came down to the weather. The spring of 2012 was early with a three week spell of very warm weather. This was great while it lasted but after that it became much cooler and wetter so those butterflies that had emerged had little choice but to sit it out and hope for a break. This meant that Orange-tips were relatively passive sometimes roosting in the same spot for a day or more at a time so photography was a doodle. Thus year once spring had eventually sprung the weather was very pleasant so Orange-tips were both highly solar-charged and also on a mission to make up for lost time. Hence they reverted to their typical behaviour of patrolling the hedgerows at break neck speed.
OT 046-002.JPG
OT 075-002.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

I am enjoying your End of year tally series Wurzel and up to now I largely agree with your assessments in particular that of the Large skipper where it is difficult to generalise in that way on such a common species.

Your photos as ever are fantastic :D . I particularly like the second Lulworth Skipper shot and also the Small White on the bramble. I'm not so sure if the Red admiral is an aberrant though. It may have picked up something on one wing then transferred it across after closing them up :?

The open-wing Brimstone at Shipton was amazing and I doubt we'll ever get to see a one like that again :shock: . If I remember correctly this insect was in semi-shade, possibly recently emerged and therefore trying to warm up in the way that you explained for the Large White. It stayed in that position for some time allowing us to rack up quite a few shots before eventually closing up and taking off :D

Talking of Large whites; whose finger is the butterfly on and if yours who took the shot?

Keep em coming :)

Phil

David M

Post by David M »

Some lovely images there, Wurzel, and congratulations on the Red Admiral (I hadn't spotted that post).

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

You 'kept back' some lovely photos for your end of year report Wurzel.

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”