Nick Morgan

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
IAC

Re: Nick Morgan

Post by IAC »

Congrats Nick!! You are not far behind Berwickshire now. :wink: Large Skipper still worth looking for in your neck of the woods. Do you have Painted Lady yet on your year list? There are more than likely Large Heath somewhere on the East Lothian side of the Lammermuirs...dont ask me where. What about Purple Hairstreak ...possibilities. I have failed to see anymore Clouded Yellow...sadly. Scotch Argus are the last of the species I expect to see this year...a week or even two away in the Borders.

Iain.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Iain,
I haven't seen a Painted Lady yet here. That's the last one I may see this year. This shouldn't be a bad year for them.
It's funny as I thought that I may be lucky enough to come across a Small Pearl Bordered Frit or a Small Skipper this year, but really wasn't expecting to see them.
Only one record of a Holly Blue this year unfortunately, but I am sure there is a hidden colony somewhere around North Berwick.
Large Heaths - that would be amazing. I have been wanting to check out the Lammermuirs around Crystal Rigg. There could be hidden colonies of something there. Apparently there were once Green Hairstreaks near there.
And Large Skippers - that would be too much to cope with!
I would love to see your Clouded Yellow make it over the hills to East Lothian.
I will definitely come down to look for the Scotch Argus when I am back from holiday. I would love to see them.
This is my East Lothian list:

1. Small Tortoiseshell
2. Green-veined White
3. Peacock
4. Comma
5. Orange Tip
6. Speckled Wood
7. Large White
8. Small White
9. Wall Brown
10. Small Heath
11. Small Copper
12. Red Admiral
13. Common Blue
14. Ringlet
15. Meadow Brown
16. Dark Green Fritillary
17. Northern Brown Argus
18. Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary
19. Small Skipper
20. Grayling

It's funny to think that five years ago five of those species were thought not to occur here.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Just back from a lovely two week family holiday to Tenerife. I managed to sneak in a few walks while my wife and kids were enjoying the beaches and swimming pool. We were at a resort in Callao Salvaje in the south-west which wasn't a good area for butterflies, however with the island only being about 50 miles long, nowhere was more than around an hour and a half away.

Most of the southern side of the island is semi-desert with various succulents and drought-tolerant plants growing. In the spring it must be quite colourful when the plants are in flower, but at this time of year there was nothing much flowering.

On the first morning I was delighted to see African Grass Blues on the grass outside our villa. They seem to occur on almost every irrigated grassy area in the towns and resorts. I didn't see them in any natural areas, so I guess that they will be one of the few species to have benefitted from developments there.
African Grass Blue
African Grass Blue
Most days we would see one or two Small Whites flying through the resort and later on our holiday my daughter spotted about thirty Small White chrysalises on an abandoned building across the road from our resort. They were probably the most widespread butterfly we saw while we were in Tenerife.

Each evening, at about 7 o'clock, a Monarch would cruise amongst the trees opposite our villa. It occasionally landed on a leaf, stayed for a few minutes and then flew around again. There was one tree that it appeared to feed on, but I couldn't figure out why it landed on the other trees, or why it always seemed to arrive at that time in the evening! I never managed to keep track of it, so possibly it came to those trees to roost for the night.
Monarch
Monarch
A few days into the holiday, I drove up to the north east corner of the island for a walk in the Laurel forest near a small village called Erjos. Having only seen three species of butterflies in the first three days, this proved to be a good move! I saw ten species of butterfly that day. Sadly, the first one was a road casualty, a Canary Red Admiral, making its last few flutters at the side of the road. It was a very striking butterfly, noticeably more of a deep red than our Red Admiral, with fewer white markings. Unfortunately, this was to be the only one I saw on our trip.

Once in Erjos, I walked out of the village and through some small fields where there were several Small Whites. I guess that the local cabbage production is severely impacted, as one small field had over 100 Small Whites amongst the Brassicas!
Small White
Small White
Just outside the village, on a shady path, I saw my first Canary Speckled Wood. I excitedly took several pictures, all of which I later deleted, as I saw so many more of them that day. Further into the Laurel forest they were quite numerous and I saw more than 50.
Canary Speckled Wood
Canary Speckled Wood
Canary Speckled Wood
Canary Speckled Wood
A little further up the path, in a sunny spot, there were several Clouded Yellows chasing each other without stopping for a picture! This spot also proved attractive for Small Coppers and Southern Brown Argus.
Southern Brown Argus
Southern Brown Argus
Small Copper
Small Copper
Once into the cooler Laurel Forest, amongst the Canary Speckled Woods, I saw my one and only Canary Grayling. I disturbed it as I walked past, and I watched it fly down the steep slope below the path, landing briefly, before flying up and landing in a tree several metres away. I have a picture and I know that the small dot in the tree is a Canary Grayling, but it is only just distinguishable as a butterfly!

Further down the track I saw a Canary Large White on a thistle growing in a gorge below the path. There was too much vegetation between it and me for a picture, but further down the track I saw another. After scrambling and sliding down the side of the gorge I did manage to get a few pictures, but not very good ones. They were worth all of the cuts and grazes, though! The Canary Large White is noticeably larger than our Large White and much more strongly marked. When it flies it appears to be yellow, black and white, but when it lands the yellow isn't so clearly noticeable.
Canary Large White
Canary Large White
Canary Large White
Canary Large White
As I started my return walk to Erjos I saw a Canary Brimstone flying towards me. It was rather ragged, but quite a bright yellow. Unfortunately it appeared to be on a mission and didn't stop for a picture. I did managed to point my camera vaguely in its direction, so I have a picture of a yellow smudge that only I know is a Canary Brimstone!

The other butterfly I saw that day was a Meadow Brown that was at the side of the path back into Erjos.

Two days later we drove up to the Parque Nacional Del Teide. I was very surprised to see quite a number of flowering plants and shrubs in this high, dry landscape. At the visitor centre, close to 12,000 feet above sea level, there were plenty of Canary Blues flying amongst the Shrubby Scabious and White Broom.
Parque Nacional Del Teide
Parque Nacional Del Teide
Canary Blue
Canary Blue
I saw what I assume were Bath Whites flying by. The Tenerife Green-striped White also occurs up there, but I think it was a little too late in the season for it to have been them. There were also a few Clouded Yellows flying amongst the sparse vegetation.

The following day I dropped my wife and kids off at a water park at Puerto de la Cruz on the north of the island while I visited the botanical gardens. Unfortunately, it was a rather overcast day and the gardens are very leafy and shaded, so I only saw a couple of Small Whites there. So I went for a walk in the Pine forest instead!

Back in Puerto de la Cruz to pick up the family I saw a couple of African Migrants amongst the Small Whites. The flower beds outside the water park were teaming with Geranium Bronze and African Grass Blue.
Geranium Bronze
Geranium Bronze
African Grass Blue
African Grass Blue
A couple of days later I decided to go for a walk near a village called Masca where I had been told there were good walks. The village is reached down a death-defying road, consisting of nothing but hairpin bends on a steep mountain side. I couldn't find much in the way of paths to walk, but enjoyed walking along the road and amongst the terraces of vegetables. Amongst the numerous Small Whites there were quite a lot of Clouded Yellows laying eggs. Also Long-tailed Blues, Bath Whites, Southern Brown Argus and Small Coppers. It was lovely watching Monarchs floating on the thermals at the side of the road.
Masca
Masca
Clouded Yellow
Clouded Yellow
One day we visited Siam Park, which claims to be the biggest water park in Europe. I had plenty of time to look for butterflies while queuing up for the water slides. Strangely, I only saw three butterflies, despite the lush vegetation and flowering plants. Later that week, back at our resort, we received a note through the door to say that they would be fumigating the gardens the following day. This consisted of one person with a knapsack sprayer spraying insecticide and another with what looked like a leaf blower puffing out smoke. This was to keep the cockroaches down, but I am sure this sort of treatment must also repel butterflies. And I think this probably explains the lack of butterflies at Siam Park, too.

On my second last day I drove up to the north east of the island - Anagar. Much of this area is a national park and covered in Laurel forest. I thought that probably the best area to look for butterflies would be around the edge of the forest, and I found an amazing road going down to a collection of houses called Bejia. Many of the houses were built into the rock faces and much of the area was terraced with various fruit and vegetables growing.
Los Batanes
Los Batanes
I walked down the road and then over a path to the neighbouring village of Los Batanes. This area proved to be very good for butterflies. It was much cooler than the south of the island (21 degrees as opposed to 28 degrees) and very green and productive. The first butterfly I saw was a Canary Blue and it was strange seeing it in a completely different habitat to Mount Teide. During my walk I came across and another six or seven.
Canary Blue
Canary Blue
Canary Blue
Canary Blue
It was interesting that at the top of the road there were a lot of Canary Speckled Woods, but as I descended they became less common and further down the road the area was also alive with Small Whites and Bath Whites.
Canary Speckled Wood
Canary Speckled Wood
Bath White
Bath White
Bath White
Bath White
Southern Brown Argus
Southern Brown Argus
I saw one more Canary Large White, several Southern Brown Argus and a number of Clouded Yellows. Sadly, I didn't see any Canary Red Admirals, which was what I was hoping to find. I was told that they were quite common on the south of the island over the winter, but that they are rare during the summer due to the lack of flowers. They should still be around on the north of the island during the summer, though.

However, I did manage to see 17 species during our holiday. I was surprised not to see a Painted Lady and I did spend a lot of time checking out areas of grassland for Canary Skippers without success. The only other butterfly that I potentially could have seen would have been a Cardinal.

I would love to return to Tenerife, maybe in the spring time, as it is a fantastic destination for walking, once you get away from the developed areas.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking report Nick with lovely shots- the Large White and Brown Argus are really striking :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great report and photos Nick.

I particularly like the Monarch against the blue sky and the Southern Brown Argus is a little gem :D

Cheers,

Neil F.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Thanks Wurzel and Neil. It was a real thrill to see the butterflies there. So many new species or species that I hadn't seen close up before.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

What an amazing butterfly week this has been. There seems to have been an explosion in butterfly numbers.

On Wednesday I walked my transect, and for the first time ever I had butterflies in each section of the transect. I saw eight different species, another record for my transect. I was quite relieved to finish it having counted 72 Green-veined Whites and 50 Small Whites amongst the butterflies I saw. Probably not numbers that will impress many, but about ten times the number of butterflies that I have seen on my transect over the last three years.

On Thursday I had a couple of site visits to make for my work. Between the two sites I saw over 100 each of Small, Large and Green-veined Whites. I have never seen Large Whites in such numbers.
Large White
Large White
It was interesting to see the variation in size of the Large Whites. Some were only the size of Small Whites, or a little smaller. I also came across some very small Green-veined Whites. This one had a wingspan of only about 30mm.
Mini Green-veined White
Mini Green-veined White
I waited for ages to see if another butterfly would land next to it to show how small it was, but unfortunately they didn't oblige, but the normal-sized one below gives an idea of its size against the Knapweed flower.
Green-veined White
Green-veined White
There were also quite a few faded Meadow Browns still around and my first summer Comma.
Comma
Comma
While I was walking along the farm track I kept noticing Peacock butterflies flying past, east to west. They certainly showed no inclination to stop, and I don't know where they were coming from or where they were going.

Next I visited a track up to a disused quarry. In a sheltered spot there were a few buddleia bushes and I was delighted to see them covered in Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells. I estimated there were more than 40 of each.
Peacock
Peacock
Small Tortoiseshell
Small Tortoiseshell
There was a lot of Ragwort growing along the track and almost every plant had a Small Copper on it. I noticed last year that almost every Small Copper at this site had blues scales on their wings to a greater or lesser extent. This year, I saw over 20 and only one of them had blues scales. I wonder if this is related to the weather conditions and availability of the food plants when they are caterpillars?
Small Copper
Small Copper
Inside the quarry butterfly there were plenty more Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells, Large and Small Whites and Small Coppers. Also one Common Blue and my first Painted Lady of the year. That is species number 21 for me in East Lothian - another record!!
Painted Lady
Painted Lady
Small White
Small White
Yesterday my son and I visited my father in the Scottish Borders and helped him in his garden. It was a cool overcast day and it rained heavily around lunch time. The cloud remained for the afternoon, which was a shame as I was hoping to visit a colony of Scotch Argus near Melrose on my way home. As I was passing less than a mile from the colony I thought I should still take a look. By now it was 5:30 and only 14 degrees. I walked into the site and didn't really know where to look for them. After about 15 minutes, I decided that I was wasting my time as it was getting darker by the minute. On my way back to the car a dark butterfly rose up in front of me and landed in the grass a few feet away. I walked over to it and recognised it as a Scotch Argus before if flew off again. I saw another two flying and then one landed in the grass. I picked up my camera only for it to switch off with a flat battery!! My spare battery was in the car, so I ran back and got it.

The Scotch Argus seems to be a very wary butterfly and it was difficult to get close to them. The only time that I could approach them was when they were deep in the grass. I did manage some pictures, but none of them are good. At least they are a record that I saw them. Overall I saw more than 30 Scotch Argus and no other butterflies, so it must be true that they fly in overcast conditions!
Scotch Argus
Scotch Argus
Scotch Argus
Scotch Argus
Scotch Argus
Scotch Argus
I am really taken with them. The orange band contrasting with their dark brown wings and the white pupils in the centre of the ocelli really stand out.

I left after about 15 minutes an my poor son was waiting for me in the car. I have been told that they start to appear at this site in the middle of July and next year I will definitely make a pilgrimage down to Melrose to spend some time there. I think they are one of the most beautiful butterflies I have seen.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I notice that I haven't posted anything since August, which is a shame as 2013 was such a great year for butterflies.
I try to co-ordinate the butterfly transects undertaken by East Lothian Countryside Ranger Service and pass the information on to Butterfly Conservation. There are eleven rangers, but sadly, other work often gets in the way and they often don't manage to do their weekly transects. However, I feel it is still worth noting what they record. We are now starting to enlist some volunteers to help with the transects, so hopefully we should improve on the records we take.
As well as the transects I ask for any other interesting butterfly sightings, which builds up a good record of what is out and about. I now have a number of volunteers who also send in their records, giving a much more complete record of how the butterflies are doing in East Lothian.
The year started off very slowly with winter dragging on until the second week in April. Prior to that I only received records of two Peacocks and two Small Tortoiseshells in March.
Spring butterfly numbers were not particularly remarkable, but it was a relief that the numbers weren't very low after the two previous wet summers. My transect follows the River Tyne, which had flooded twice the previous year, and this had an obvious effect on the number of Orange Tips and later Ringlets and Meadow Browns. Luckily the number of butterflies in other areas more than made up for this, though.
Orange Tip.JPG
It wasn't until mid-July that butterfly numbers literally took off. The summer broods of Green-veined, Small and Large Whites were fantastic, with numbers that we have never seen before. Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells did really well too.
Large White.JPG
Small Tortoiseshell.JPG
It was interesting that the Comma, which first arrived here seven years ago, didn't seem to thrive as the other species did.
Comma.JPG
Similarly the first generation of Small Coppers was quite sparse, but later in the summer they were more numerous than ever.
Small Copper.JPG
Common Blue and Dark Green Fritillary were at about their normal numbers.
Common Blue.JPG
Thinking about it, it was the species that produce a second generation in the year that did so well. Those that over-wintered as caterpillars and only produce one generation didn't benefit so much from the good weather. Hopefully, if we have a good spring we may see the benefit next year, though.
The one real loser this year was the Holly Blue. We have an isolated population on the western fringes of East Lothian, and two years ago it appeared to have spread with a second colony found and a few isolated sightings. This year I only heard of a single sighting and that was at the original colony. I am keeping my fingers crossed that next year we will see more.
There were a number of highlights this year, though. I received a report of a Clouded Yellow from one of our volunteers in North Berwick on 31st July. The following day one of our Rangers saw presumably the same individual in Musselburgh, about 20 miles further along the coast.
While I was searching for Northern Brown Argus, I discovered Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries at a site right on the edge of East Lothian. These are the first confirmed sightings of this species in East Lothian.
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary.JPG
After receiving reports of individual sightings of Small Skippers in 2011 and 2012, I received an excited phone call from one of our volunteers to say that she had found a small colony of them in Aberlady. I rushed out to meet her and managed to spot 5, but she saw many more later that day. Later I received records of Small Skippers from two other sites within a couple of miles of Aberlady, so they seem to be doing well in the area now.
Small Skipper.JPG
Speckled Woods have only been recorded in East Lothian in the last four years. Initially there were one or two sightings on the east coast and since then they have spread further along the coast. This year I received records from various areas and they are now found in wooded areas about two-thirds of the length of East Lothian. This is a remarkable rate of colonisation and if we have another good year in 2014 I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they have been found all over the county.
Speckled Wood.JPG
Similarly the Wall Brown was a new species for East Lothian four years ago. They have continued to spread along the coast from the east, but at about half the rate of the Speckled Woods.
Wall Brown.JPG
Despite the good weather Red Admirals and Painted Ladies were conspicuously low in numbers. I heard from someone in France that Painted Lady numbers were low there, too, so possibly they had a bad start to the year and weren't able to recover from that. After the bonanza of butterflies in July and August we were hoping for an influx of migrants from the south, but unfortunately September and October were disappointingly cold, so this was not to be. This probably explains my lack of posts since August!
However, I received records of 23 species in East Lothian this year, which I am sure is a record. I am delighted with the new species that are being recorded here in the last few years. It does seem amazing given the constant loss of habitat here. I can't imagine what the next new species will be, but there are a few possibilities!

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Excellent report with stunning photos Nick :D I found that I read it in two minds - chuffed at the successful spread of butterflies which is a bonus :D but at the same time concerned that this is a shift northwards due to climate change :? :( . Still if it continues like this maybe down here in Salisbury Long-Tailed Blues etc will become a regular feature :? :wink: By the way what are your suspected additions to the list?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Nick, I must accidentally have unsigned myself from this thread, because I missed all of those August posts - I didn't even see the fantastic pictures from Tenerife. They are really brilliant - you did much better than I did on my trip, many years ago, to the Canaries. I'm sorry not to have commented before! I hope this reply will ensure I get notice of your future updates!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Wurzel wrote:Excellent report with stunning photos Nick :D I found that I read it in two minds - chuffed at the successful spread of butterflies which is a bonus :D but at the same time concerned that this is a shift northwards due to climate change :? :( . Still if it continues like this maybe down here in Salisbury Long-Tailed Blues etc will become a regular feature :? :wink: By the way what are your suspected additions to the list?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel. I have to admit that I share your concerns. I am delighted to find new species here, but I do wonder why they are spreading northwards. Certainly it isn't because of habitat improvement! I find the climate change argument difficult to concur with, too given two really hard winters with two really rainy summers and then a horribly long winter last year. I note that historically Commas and Speckled Woods were in this area, but their ranges drifted south, so those species are returning.
However, looking at distribution maps from 1970 http://nora.nerc.ac.uk/8104/ we only had 11 species in East Lothian. That must have been rather miserable!! Although I am delighted with 23 species, I am still envious of people on the south coast where 43 species is possible!
Potential new species in East Lothian: Green Hairstreaks are not far away in the Borders: Purple Hairstreaks have been found over the Firth of Forth in Fife; Large Skippers are also not far away in the Borders. I would love to find Small Blues - again not far away, but we really don't have much in the way of good habitat for them. My greatest ambition is to find a hidden colony of Scotch Argus in the Lammermuir Hills, but I think that may be a little too much to hope for!

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

padfield wrote:Nick, I must accidentally have unsigned myself from this thread, because I missed all of those August posts - I didn't even see the fantastic pictures from Tenerife. They are really brilliant - you did much better than I did on my trip, many years ago, to the Canaries. I'm sorry not to have commented before! I hope this reply will ensure I get notice of your future updates!

Guy
Guy,
I was very pleasantly surprised by Tenerife. The north coast, particularly the north east corner offered lots of walking opportunities and the wild flowers and butterflies were out in force there. It would be interesting to return at a different time of year, when I am told there are more butterflies in the south.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

We woke up to a frosty morning with a lovely blue sky. The first day like this all year! At lunch time I walked along the River Tyne in Haddington with a slight hope that I could see a butterfly. It was only 7 degrees and when I arrived at a sheltered spot that has provided me with my first butterfly sightings most years there was nothing. I told myself that I was just being stupid and that it was far too cold for butterflies to be flying.
Back in Haddington, I turned up a shady path and saw a small brown triangle on the ground. I took a closer look and saw a Small Tortoiseshell. I picked it up and carried it to a sunny, sheltered spot where wild flowers have been sewn outside the Council offices. I put it on a Marigold and it opened its wings to absorb some heat. I hope that it managed to feed to build up its strength to see if through the last few days of winter!
IMG_8227 - Copy.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good save Nick :D One down 19 to go then :wink:

Have a goodun
Wurzel

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Wurzel,
I managed 21 species in East Lothian last year and I don't think there is any way I can beat that. I added a couple more UK species, so I could aim for 24 UK species this year.
Nick

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Wow, at last I have seen a white! Only the fourth species I have seen this year - a Green-veined White, just as I was thinking it was far too cold, cloudy and windy for any butterflies to be mad enough to emerge!
P1050727.JPG
I also saw my first Swallow and Sand Martins so maybe signs that good weather is on its way! :D

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Things are ticking along quite nicely up hear this year. We seem to be in between the warm weather the south had last month and the warm weather that the north of Scotland had last week, so hopefully we will get our turn soon. At least it hasn't been exceptionally cold or wet this year, so a reasonable number of butterflies around.
On last week's transect I had 63 butterflies and today I managed 50 despite a strong westerly wind. Most of these were Green-veined Whites and Orange Tips.
P1060001.JPG
P1060063.JPG
I have been surprised that Commas have almost been out-numbering Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells so far this year. They are a relatively new arrival to East Lothian and over the last 8 years I have rarely seen more than one or two at a time. This year I have seen three or four of them dog-fighting a couple of times and regularly see one or two on my transect.
P1050797.JPG
Another recent arrival, the Speckled Wood has spread remarkably quickly across East Lothian since it was first seen in 2009. Last week I had records sent in from three areas in East Lothian and saw a fleeting glimpse of one when I was on a site visit at work. On Friday I decided to check out the place where I had first found Speckled Woods in 2011. Remarkably there were four males in an area about ten feet in diameter, exactly the same spot as I have seen them for the last four years. Strangely there are many other very similar-looking places in the rest of the wood where they don't exist!
P1050964.JPG
So, that is eight species for me so far this year.

1. Small Tortoiseshell
2. Comma
3. Peacock
4. Green-veined White
5. Orange Tip
6. Large White
7. Small White
8. Speckled Wood

I also received a report of a Small Copper today, so hopefully I will add another species to this year's list soon.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see things are moving on up there Nick :D You may only have seen 8 species but you've probably seen the same number of Specklies as I have this year - they seem to be a bit hit or miss down our way - I'm not sure whether they've had a good start to the year.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I have been having quite a bit of success searching for butterflies despite us not having any prolonged warm weather here yet.
On my transect two weeks ago I had 83 butterflies, mostly Green-veined Whites, but also Orange Tips, Small Whites, Large Whites, Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks and Commas. Most excitingly was a Speckled Wood. The first one that has reached Haddington as far as we know. Having first been recorded in East Lothian in 2009, they have made their way around the entire length of the coast, started to move along the River Tyne and have been moving in-land. At the rate they had been moving, I thought they may arrive in Haddington this year, but I hadn't expected them to arrive quite so early in the year!
Last week's transect produced 91 butterflies, mostly the same species as the previous year, but no sign of the Speckled Wood. As a consolation, though, on my walk back to the office I saw a Wall Brown. This butterfly was first recorded in East Lothian in 2010 and has spread along the coast for about half the length of East Lothian. To reach Haddington is quite a jump, so I wonder if they are now established in other areas nearby?
I was annoyed that I didn't have my camera with me, and I have been back twice to see if it was still there, without success. Yesterday I did see my first Red Admiral of the year while I was looking for it though.
Today, I had a few site meetings giving me the opportunity to look for butterflies in between. There were plenty of Whites flying along the River Tyne, despite a chill wind. At John Muir Country Park I saw my first Small Heath of the year and a Wall Brown. At five o'clock this afternoon I found eight Wall Browns at the first site they were spotted in East Lothian. It is amazing how they well they are doing.
So, that is me up to 12 species this year.
1. Small Tortoiseshell
2. Comma
3. Peacock
4. Green-veined White
5. Orange Tip
6. Large White
7. Small White
8. Speckled Wood
9. Wall Brown
10. Small Copper
11. Red Admiral
12. Small Heath

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Nick

Just catching up with your diary.
It has just struck me that it must be quite exciting to live in an area which is at the edge of colonisation spread of various species. Whereas down here on the South Coast we take many species for granted, I imagine that for you each year brings much anticipation. To see species gradually moving in to your area must be immensely satisfying and exciting.
I hope you continue to get new arrivals in your area and that their numbers continue to increase :D You never know maybe you will wake up to find Glanville Fritillaries and Lulworth Skippers fluttering around outside your window :wink:

Return to “Personal Diaries”