compact cameras

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Matsukaze

compact cameras

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi All,

What compact cameras do people recommend for butterfly pictures? I'm ideally looking for something that is lightweight and robust in the field, has macro capabilities that are good for the early stages (and particularly for leaf mines) and has a swivelable viewing screen, a lesson learned from repeatedly trying to guess where the Pyrgus is when my previous camera didn't have one. I suspect this may not all be available in one package at the right budget, but we will see...
Ian Pratt

Re: compact cameras

Post by Ian Pratt »

The Lumix FZ 200 is very good although I only have its predecessor the FZ 38- look at the review in http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panason ... c-fz200/13
Ian
Chris Jackson

Re: compact cameras

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi there Matsu and Ian,
I've been using the Panasonic Lumix FZ150 for the last 2 years. I know nothing about photography so I'm glad its idiot-proof; I just use 1 setting and it covers everything! The best feature is that swivelling screen for ground-level and over-the-top shots. In the field I detach the lens cover string and the strap from the camera so nothing gets in the way, otherwise it all dangles just in front of the subject. The battery will give around 600 shots. I have a non-genuine 2nd battery in reserve (a genuine battery costs a bomb). My FZ150 cost 499.00 Euros 2 years ago. A work mate recently purchased an FZ200 and I believe he paid around 399.00 Euros, so they are getting cheaper. Sorry I can't be more technical or scientific about it, I'm more practical.
Below is a close-up of a Southern White Admiral egg, and a landscape shot - both compressed.
Cheers, Chris.
Panasonic FZ150.JPG
reducta - ovum2 on Lonicera periclymenum (1).JPG
Parc des Bruyères and Strawberry Tree December 21.JPG

Return to “Photography”