William

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
William

Re: William

Post by William »

You're too kind David :D :D .

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
William

Post by William »

Skippers

July and August are peak times in my butterflying calendar, and the two tend to blur into one. With this in mind, I'll break from the chronological order and go by species or family from here on in.

I had to wait a while for my first Golden Skippers of the year in 2013. I remember in 2011, I saw my first Large Skipper on the 30th of May, but in 2013 it was the 3rd of July! Nevertheless, once they got going, Large Skippers had a pretty decent season on my patch.
Large Skipper
Large Skipper
They're by no means common, and a count of 7 is good for me - consequently I was delighted to spot 10 in one evening at a local spot.
Large Skipper
Large Skipper
I returned early the next morning, in the hope of getting some dew covered photos - and I was not disappointed. As the mist rose off the pond near where I find my local Large Skippers, I spent a happy half hour photographing the butterflies - the first rays of the sun picking them out in all their furry copper - coloured glory.
Large Skipper
Large Skipper
Small Skippers emerged hot on their heels, and proved equally obliging for the camera, they flew right through the summer to late August, and had the best year on record in my area. 2012's peak count was 11 butterflies at my favoured site compared to 2013's 33 - 3 times as many!
Small Skipper - Female
Small Skipper - Female
Small Skipper - Close Up
Small Skipper - Close Up
Small Skippers - Courting
Small Skippers - Courting
Small Skipper
Small Skipper

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some fantastic images William :D My favourite by a long way is the dew bedecked Large Skipper, one of those "I wish I'd taken that" shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

William

Post by William »

Thank you Wurzel - I had a wonderful time taking it - they are lovely little butterflies. :D :D

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Lovely photos William. :D I especially like your female Large Skipper, beautiful, and the close-up of the Small Skipper is excellent. Great work. :D

All the best, Nick.

William

Post by William »

Thanks Neil - much appreciated :D :D .

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

A really lovely diary you've got going here William, I'm hooked :D

William

Post by William »

Thanks B'Saurus - the same can be said for your diary - I'm very jealous of the mating dukes :D.

Butterflysaurus rex

Thanks very much William :D
I couldn't believe my luck, I'd only been there for 10 minutes or so when I saw the male dancing around a female, a few moment later and I saw my first ever pair of mating Dukes :D

William

Post by William »

You know what they say :) - you make your own luck :) .

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely Skipper photos William, the dew covered Large Skipper especially :D

Mike

William

Post by William »

Thanks Mike - it was a wonderful sight 'in the flesh' :D :D.

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Lovely photos as always - keep an eye open for Essex Skipper locally which flies where the foodplant is allowed to stand uncut over the winter - arable field margins, extensive road verges and perhaps the sea walls. It will not be common in your part of Somerset but I think it does occur here and there.

William

Post by William »

Thanks Matsukaze - I've kept my eyes open for them, but had no luck. I saw them for the first time this year on the coast path in Norfolk - in habitat exactly as you described - lovely little butterflies. :D

William

Post by William »

Clouded Yellows

With christmas drawing near, and the weather terrible outside, I thought I'd bring forward my Clouded Yellow posting to cheer myself up. Before 2013, Clouded Yellows were one of those near-miss butterflies, whenever I saw them (on holidays abroad) they would be zooming off, hypercharged down some dusty track. Fortunately though, all this was to change in the August of this year.

It started on the 1st of the month, when I made the decision to have a mega, whole day patch walk, taking in some new sites, and hopefully, some new butterflies. This proved to be an excellent decision, and I was treated to multiple Painted Ladies, Small Coppers, Common Blues, Marbled Whites (normally quite rare in my area), a Purple Hairstreak (which came tantalisingly close to the camera), and several Silver - Washed Fritillaries.

These however, were not the highlight of my walk, that prize went to the stunningly fresh male Clouded Yellow that I found feeding on thistles. This was my first patch record, and what a way to do it - the butterfly posed wonderfully, occasionally interacting aggresively with the numerous small whites.

Tragedy later struck, when my memory card malfunctioned, and all my photos of this beautiful insect, and I was left with no record of my encounter.

Undeterred, though somewhat frustrated, I set out two days later, and was delighted to find 3 of males feeding on ragwort in a scrubby local field.
Clouded Yellow - Male
Clouded Yellow - Male
After this generous slice of luck, it seemed the flood-gates had been opened, and I found Clouded Yellows wherever I went, on my transect, and even in my garden.
Remembering the propensity of Clouded Yellows to associate with their foodplants, I went and checked out my local clover field (only 5 minutes from my home). Sure enough, there were Clouded Yellows galore, and for the rest of the summer, I had Clouded Yellows 'on tap'. This continued until the field was cut, the acres of bobbing clover heads disappearing along with the Clouded Yellows.
Clouded Yellow - Female
Clouded Yellow - Female
Clouded Yellow - Female - F. Helice
Clouded Yellow - Male
Clouded Yellow - Male
Clouded Yellow - Female - F. Helice (and friends)
Clouded Yellow - Female - F. Helice (and friends)
Clouded Yellow - Close Up
Clouded Yellow - Close Up
Clouded Yellow - Male
Clouded Yellow - Male
Clouded Yellow - Female - F. Helice (dodgy upperside)
Clouded Yellow - Female - F. Helice (dodgy upperside)
Clouded Yellow - Female
Clouded Yellow - Female
Clouded Yellow - Male
Clouded Yellow - Male
Clouded Yellows
Clouded Yellows
I was very suprised with this photo, I was initially following one Clouded Yellow (the one in the foreground I think), and when it landed, I moved carefully over to it, in the hope of getting some photos, only to find it sat on top of another! Why this happened, I'm not sure, perhaps they were increasing their surface area for basking (it was taken during a cloudy spell). Certainly, it appeared to have nothing to do with courtship, as, when the sun returned, one flew off, showing no interest in its 'bedfellow'.
Clouded Yellow - Female
Clouded Yellow - Female
Clouded Yellow - Female - F. Helice (another dodgy upperside)
Clouded Yellow - Female - F. Helice (another dodgy upperside)
I rather like this one for its autumnal feel.
Clouded Yellow - Male
Clouded Yellow - Male
And finally, one of my favourite images of the year.
Clouded Yellow - Male
Clouded Yellow - Male
Merry Christmas one and all - and my 2014 be filled with Butterflies :D :D .

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

William, I've just got home after a nightmare commute to London in the foulest of weather and seen your Clouded Yellows: you've cheered me up no end!!

Thank you!!

Best wishes

Hoggers

David M

Post by David M »

Fantastic sequence. The warm, yellow colour just adds to the mind's image of lazy summer days.

The two helice photos in flight are glorious as well.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Brilliant posting William, summer's here again :D and we also have a Christmas feast of Clouded Yellows :D :D

Merry Christmas to you and your family,

Mike

William

Post by William »

Thanks guys - some of my favourite days this year were spent photographing those beauties :D - merry christmas to you both :D :D .

Butterflysaurus rex

Nothing "dodgy" about those in flight 'Helice' shots William, they are not easy shots to take. I think you've taken some marvellous CY photos there, I would be delighted with all of those If I'd taken them :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”