Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 10.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Wurzel »

Lulworth Skipper

This was taken on my family holiday in the first week of August directly behind the Cove itself. I’d left it a bit late for the Skippers at this site really but as I was there I thought I ought to at least have a look. Almost all of the males were a bit past it once I’d clambered up the cliff path, but the females were much fresher. This is my favourite shot as it portrays the character of the species. On the couple of occasions I’ve seen Lulworths I’ve been struck by their gregarious nature. You never just encounter one on its own or if you do you can be sure that another one or three will be along soon.
Lulworth Skipper (The Cove).JPG
Have a goodun
Wurzel
CFB

Post by CFB »

Photo taken on June 27 at 200 metres altitude in the Alpes-Maritimes.
IMG_8552.JPG
--
Colin
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

This was the first time that I've seen the Lulworth Skipper. The plan was that this would have been the completion of my seeing all the British Mainland species until my May trip to see the Chequered Skipper had to be cancelled. My thanks to Nigel Kemp for driving me down to the Durdle Door area to see this great little butterfly. I was very surprised how lovely it was and how different it was from the Small Skipper.
Male Lulworth Skipper
Male Lulworth Skipper
Female Lulworth Skipper
Female Lulworth Skipper
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
David M

Post by David M »

Prior to 2013, the only time I've ever seen this species was as an emergent teenager in 1982!!

I picked a lovely day (6th July) to travel down to Lulworth Cove and was rewarded with a dozen or so individuals.

Male:
111Lulmale(1).jpg
Female:
111Lulfem(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I saw Lulworth Skippers still on the wing at Durlston Country Park when I went there during my week in Dorset in early September although they were mostly looking past their best.

I think my favourite photo is the one below of a male buzzing around a female whilst she just sits there and ignores him.
Lulworth Skippers - Durlston CP 02.09.2013
Lulworth Skippers - Durlston CP 02.09.2013
Cheers,

Neil.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Some great pictures coming in,guys!

I am forever amazed what a long season this single brooded species has,as i have said before. The first males emerge with the adonis blues in late spring,and are still going strong when the second generation adonis emerge at the end of summer!

Lulworths seem to have had a good 2013,certainly i saw them in greater numbers this year-perhaps this was in part due to the wet summer in 2012,promoting lush growth of the food plant,tor grass. Whatever the reason,i was delighted to see so many adults in 2013.

My image comes from Durlston CP,near Swanage,on the 21 August.
Attachments
dorset 13 ukb pt2 006a.JPG

Return to “Lulworth Skipper”