December 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

December 2013

Post by David M »

Good luck with this one, folks! (although we may get a Clouded Yellow sighting from the Bournemouth area, I fancy). :)
lee3764

Re: December 2013

Post by lee3764 »

Clouded Yellows do from time to time overwinter down here in 'mild' Cornwall especially at Seaton (near Looe). One seen yesterday (30th November) still going strong & 3 Red Admirals there too on same visit by Leon Truscott from Torpoint (Cornwall's Moth recorder).
I did report this on November 2013 sightings but this is a new thread. Cornwall was shrouded in cold gloom today with no sunshine unlike yesterday's unbroken clear sunshine from dawn to dusk!
Cheers,
Lee Slaughter (Cornwall).
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Lee. The cold blast isn't going to arrive until next Friday so I'd like to think there will be a few windows of opportunity in those microclimates best suited to early winter warmth prior to then.

Here's hoping.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Southbourne, Dorset.
As I had suspected at the end of November at least one male Clouded Yellow has made it into December. I found a male on 6th December flying over the slopes at 12.55 in sunny conditions. just before it started to cloud over lowering the temperature which had built up over the course of a sunny morning. There is no reason to believe they are totally over yet, but obviously predation could occur, especially by the local Stonechats which I have seen happen twice (one escaped though). With good weather, sunshine and little or no wind (and a little luck), I hope to record Clouded Yellows again over December.

Regards
Mike Gibbons
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

In Oxford, yesterday (7th December), I spotted this Peacock, amongst the Brasses on the floor of New College ante-Chapel, just after a carol service. I was informed that there are several butterflies that over-Winter in the Chapel.
New College Chapel, Oxford - 7th December 2013<br />Panasonic Lumix TZ25 (with flash) - f=69mm, 1/125s@f/5.9 ISO640
New College Chapel, Oxford - 7th December 2013
Panasonic Lumix TZ25 (with flash) - f=69mm, 1/125s@f/5.9 ISO640
Mike
David M

Post by David M »

That's interesting that, Mike. I guess churches make excellent over-wintering places for butterflies. They're usually pretty cool and gloomy, and given the age of many of them I suspect there are multitudinous points of entry for small insects under the eaves, between gaps in stonework, etc.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Another sighting of a male Clouded Yellow at Southbourne today. It was flying very strongly over the undercliff. It landed briefly on bare earth again before continuing the patrol of it's favoured area. As the weather looks settled I am hoping to see this male (or another) on the next sunny December day.

Regards
Mike Gibbons
maverick

Post by maverick »

comma dovemere.JPG
i can better the above sightings, today i was out fishing at a Cheshire mere (knutsford) in the frozen waste lands of Northern England
and this little fella came along to say hello
William

Post by William »

A Red Admiral flew past me yesterday in West Somerset - my latest ever butterfly sighting :D (09/12/13).
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Feels like summer!! Sitting in the garden in just a T shirt (and jeans) and 2 Red Admiral flew past!!

http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

I have at last tracked down a first instar Clouded Yellow larva. Eggs that I found in late November have disappeared, but no larvae are visible. The attached was in a different place, where I had seen a number of females a few weeks ago. Photographed 12 December.
Attachments
Colias-crocea_OM0064.jpg
Crispin

Post by Crispin »

Mikhail Great find! I wonder if those CY larvae are still alive?

Still seeing the occasional one or even two Red Admiral 11/12/13, 16/12/13 & 26/12/13.
I haven't seen them in December since 2009.

This December has been the warmest in over 18 years (probably wettest and windiest too). Makes me wonder how this is going to effect many species?
(Warm & wet probably not good news)

Crispin
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Last butterfly seen by me on Wednesday 11 December- a red admiral flying past strongly in warm conditions in Ryde IOW.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

WLH egg found yesterday in somewhat unlikely urban location.
wlh_bath.jpg
Crispin

Post by Crispin »

Two Red Admiral basking in the mid day December sun.
2013-12-28 13.22.15-2.jpg
2013-12-28 12.13.03-1.jpg
Surprised to see there is more than one.

Crispin
Butterflymax

Post by Butterflymax »

False Apollo wrote:Another sighting of a male Clouded Yellow at Southbourne today. It was flying very strongly over the undercliff. It landed briefly on bare earth again before continuing the patrol of it's favoured area. As the weather looks settled I am hoping to see this male (or another) on the next sunny December day.

Regards
Mike Gibbons
I visited the Overcliff at Southbourne on July 20th 2012 hoping to see my first Clouded Yellow, but to no avail. OK, we all know last year was a dismal year for butterflies, but was I too early? When is the best time to see them there and any precise locations? Any advice greatly welcomed!

Regards,
Butterflymax
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

Clouded-Yellow-habitat_60789.jpg
Clouded Yellows are unpredictable, but after nearly 20 years experience of the Bournemouth cliffs I'd say that the autumn is the most reliable time for sightings. There have always been at least a few present in October every year. The attached photo shows one of the best places for sightings - the path, known as St Catherine's path, that leads down to the Bistro on the Beach. It is a good breeding and overwintering site for larvae. Photo taken 1 April 2012.

M.
millerd

Post by millerd »

This is where I saw half a dozen or so in September 2012, having not seen a single one anywhere else all year. There are lots of sea aster plants on both sides of the path in flower late in the season. With luck, the butterflies will come reasonably close to the path, but venturing onto the slopes to get a closer look is not encouraged!

Dave

Return to “Sightings”