Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Hulme »

Working Wednesdays

The weekly programme of work parties at Heyshott Escarpment was thankfully unaffected by rain this week. It was great to see such a strong turnout, with a dozen participants being equally split between those representing the Murray Downland Trust and BC Sussex. It was particularly nice to see a couple of new faces. After the usual strimming, raking, cutting and burning, I took an hour to enjoy the quiet that descends upon the slopes here at this time of year. Although the best of the autumn colours have passed, it is still a magical place to be, with only a flock of noisy Fieldfares disturbing the peace.
UKB Heyshott work party 27.11.13.jpg
UKB Heyshott Escarpment 27.11.13.jpg
UKB Heyshott beech leaves 27.11.13.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brown Hairstreaks And Grey Shrikes

This afternoon (3rd December) I went walking on the downs around Chanctonbury Ring, parking at Washington and walking up through the disused chalk pits. The briefest of searches located my first Brown Hairstreak eggs of the winter, only a couple of hundred metres from the car park. I've always found them here in previous years, but it usually requires some effort to locate just one or two. Today I found 7 in under five minutes, including 2 pairs. It's too early to draw any conclusions yet, but this does look quite promising for a good 2013 crop.

At Chanctonbury Ring I soon located the recently reported Great Grey Shrike. This occasional winter visitor has turned up in a few Sussex locations already this year, and is always a joy to see. I spent nearly two hours watching it, during which time it took seven earthworms. Worms are sometimes cited as comprising a small part of the Great Grey Shrike's diet, but this individual was clearly very focused on pursuing this food source. It appeared to be listening and watching for movement amongst the fallen beech leaves, before swooping with great accuracy.
UKB GGS (5) Chanctonbury Ring 3.12.13.jpg
UKB GGS Chanctonbury Ring 3.12.13.jpg
UKB GGS (4) Chanctonbury Ring 3.12.13.jpg
UKB GGS (2) Chanctonbury Ring 3.12.13.jpg
UKB GGS (3) Chanctonbury Ring 3.12.13.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
mud-puddling

Post by mud-puddling »

Nice shots Neil! Looks like you had some cracking views of this enigmatic bird. Think I may have to have a walk up there when I get a chance. Cheers

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More Heyshott

Yesterday (4th December) I joined the regular Wednesday work party at Heyshott Escarpment. We had originally intended to assist with the controlled burn of a local heathland site later in the afternoon, but with sufficient helpers on hand we were not needed. This left a few of us free to work until after 3 pm, allowing us to coppice a large area of hazel on the eastern edge of the reserve. This will not only create more habitat for butterflies (and hopefully orchids), but also allow much more sunlight into an established but currently quite shady glade. As is often the case at Heyshott, the conservation work is also bringing aesthetic benefits by opening up lovely new vistas, in this case northwards out over the Weald. Mike Hadley (Murray Downland Trust http://www.murraydownlandtrust.blogspot.co.uk) and Nigel Symington (BC Sussex) are pictured taking a well-earned rest.
UKB Heyshott work party 4.12.13.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Latest Record

Early this afternoon (8th December) I was surprised to see a male Brimstone fly across the South Downs Way, as I climbed the slope towards Chanctonbury Ring. This is the latest I have ever seen the species active.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Heyshott In The Mist

This morning (11th December) I couldn't drive over Bury Hill (near Arundel) without stopping to marvel at the view. A thick mist filled the Arun Valley below and refused to budge from much of the countryside around Heyshott, where I attended the weekly work party along with another 10 members of the Murray Downland Trust and BC Sussex branch. As always, good progress was made in further improving the habitat for butterflies and other fauna and flora. It was also a chance to collect a little mistletoe for the house. One tree in particular is spectacularly draped in this parasitic plant. A pair of Mistle Thrush left the tree as I approached, probably having gorged themselves on the fruit.
UKB Bury Hill 11.12.13.jpg
UKB Heyshott work party 11.12.13.jpg
UKB mistletoe 1.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

I love those photos so much. Especially the first and last ones. When to you finish work parties for xmas?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Susie. Last work party before New Year is next week, Wednesday 18th December. We then restart on Wednesday 8th January 2014. It would be great to see you if you can make it along to one ... and I'll show you where the mistletoe is! :D
BWs, Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely, atmospheric images there, Neil.

This time of year has a certain addictive austerity to it.

I'm not surprised you saw a Brimstone. He probably thought it was spring! I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable this Saturday - going out looking for butterflies in December.

The days have been 8-10c here for the past week, whilst night-time temperatures have been barely below that. Saturday is set sunny and fair so why not?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Grey Phalarope

After suffering from both SAD and cabin fever through the recent storms, I headed out under clear blue skies today (6th January), to blow away a few cobwebs. I headed for Hove, where a very confiding Grey Phalarope has been resident for a couple of days, paddling in the children's paddling pool at Hove Lagoon. With Mia in tow I couldn't really lie down at the edge of the pool with the large group of photographers present, but luckily there's a playground next door! So while dashing back and forth between swings and climbing frames, I managed to hang over the fence and grab a few shots. Given the circumstances I was pleased with the images below, but a return match seems inevitable if the bird hangs around ... a real beauty!
Grey Phalarope 1, Hove 6.1.14.jpg
Grey Phalarope 2, Hove 6.1.14.jpg
Grey Phalarope 3, Hove 6.1.14.jpg
Grey Phalarope 4, Hove 6.1.14.jpg
Grey Phalarope 5, Hove 6.1.14.jpg

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Neil has been:
suffering from both SAD and cabin fever through the recent storms.... headed out under clear blue skies today (6th January), to blow away a few cobwebs..... Hove, where a very confiding Grey Phalarope....
You'd better not live somewhere like Isle of Mull then. In the past five weeks I have recorded in the order of 340 millimetres of rain (and lack of sun to match). That's about six months rain for Worthing. Surprisingly, I haven't found it a big problem. However, I do admit to having just ordered a 150 watt (equivalent - actual drain = 30 watts) daylight colour light bulb for my "office".

Anyway: Phalarope. I have seen a Phalarope but can't recall which "brand". It was the one that spins around while floating on the water. Strange bird like a miniature gull.

Jack

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Save Our Woodlands Again!

The latest madcap government proposal concerning the environment is to allow offsetting of ancient woodland. This would mean developments could potentially go ahead on ancient woodland sites if enough trees were planted elsewhere in mitigation. I won't insult your intelligence by explaining how that couldn't possibly work. It is probably the single most ridiculous and flawed scheme I have ever heard of. Bearing in mind the complexity of some of the issues back then, I personally consider this proposal a much greater threat to our wildlife than the proposed state-owned forest sell-off a few years back. Please sign and share.
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... 1388957757

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

First point is: why does the government so desperately want to sell off ancient woodland? Where is the logic?

Sadly, voting out a political party with crazy views isn’t the complete answer. You can NEVER agree with all the policies of any particular party so you vote for the least bad option. That party then claims: “you voted for that; it was in the manifesto” with the implication that you must have agree with everything that party stood for.

At next year’s General Election I am more than likely deliberately to spoil my ballot paper; in other words, I will say that I am not in agreement with ALL the policies in any manifesto and my spoilt paper should reflect that – and be counted as such (“none of the above”).

Guy. I believe that the Swiss system makes an attempt to overcome the problem and you vote for what you want, not as we do here: vote for what we dislike least.

Finally, has any British Government had any scientists in the Cabinet since Thatcher, disliked as she was by many?

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Grey Phalarope Revisited

Following a morning of grey skies and rain, I noticed a large patch of blue sky heading my way soon after midday. I couldn't resist another visit to see the Grey Phalarope at Hove Lagoon and managed to get there just in front of the better weather. Once again it performed brilliantly, zipping around the paddling pool like a clockwork toy. Several of my shots, when enlarged, proved that it was catching bloodworms in this apparently sterile environment.
Grey Phalarope 1, Hove 7.1.14.jpg
Grey Phalarope 2, Hove 7.1.14.jpg
Grey Phalarope 3, Hove 7.1.14.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots of my 'bogey' bird Neil :mrgreen: . I always seem to miss it when I go looking but these shots have spurred me on :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Save Our Woodlands Again!

The latest madcap government proposal concerning the environment is to allow offsetting of ancient woodland. This would mean developments could potentially go ahead on ancient woodland sites if enough trees were planted elsewhere in mitigation. I won't insult your intelligence by explaining how that couldn't possibly work. It is probably the single most ridiculous and flawed scheme I have ever heard of. Bearing in mind the complexity of some of the issues back then, I personally consider this proposal a much greater threat to our wildlife than the proposed state-owned forest sell-off a few years back. Please sign and share.
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... 1388957757
Here's another petition for the same outcome, from The Woodland Trust. With this one you email the Prime Minister directly.

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/campaig ... er_jan2014

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Grey Phalarope (Part III)

My third and, I think, final time with this irresistible bird. Hove Lagoon children's paddling pool was once again surrounded by prostrate twitchers in camouflage with long lenses. Let's hope the bird has gone before the summer!
Grey Phalarope (1) Hove 14.1.14.jpg
Grey Phalarope (5) Hove 14.1.14.jpg
Grey Phalarope (3) Hove 14.1.14.jpg
Grey Phalarope (2) Hove 14.1.14.jpg
Grey Phalarope (4) Hove 14.1.14.jpg
Grey Phalarope (6) Hove 14.1.14.jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

That's a most attractive bird and nicely photographed.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Jack. Here's one for luck.
BWs, Neil
Grey Phalarope (7) Hove 14.1.14.jpg

Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Great photos. Lumix FZ 38? Ian

Return to “Personal Diaries”