November 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: November 2013

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:Disturbed a peacock basking this morning while out with the dog and then a red admiral in cranleigh on the way into work at lunchtime.
I fancied someone might see butterflies today. Even in south Wales it was benign and sunny. If I'd had the day off I'd have definitely gone for a stroll to take a look for them.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

I had 4 Commas and a male Brimstone at my local reserve in Coulsdon, Surrey at lunchtime today. Temperature was approximately 10 degrees with light winds. Earlier in the week I found 2 fresh Red-green Carpet moths (one outside and one inside).
Red-green Carpet - Caterham, Surrey 10-Nov-2013
Red-green Carpet - Caterham, Surrey 10-Nov-2013
It's a new one for me and the books say that it's an Autumn species, occurring in September and October and hibernating as an adult.

Vince
David M

Post by David M »

Got a surprise when I went to get my hair cut this morning in Clydach. I parked my car at the Forge cafe and there was a Red Admiral fluttering about amongst the nettles next to the river. It then flew onto a the leg of a wooden bench to try and get some warmth - shame I didn't have my camera.
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

13 November 2013
One sunny still day with hardly a breeze, A Red Admiral flew across a very crowded Adur Ferry Bridge and a short time after one flew across the River Adur adjacent to the very new bridge. http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Butterfly-list2013.html
sue_marie

Post by sue_marie »

Hi there. This little fellow flew into my kitchen 3:30pm yesterday. The Peacock and I both live in York.
Attachments
Late visitor in York
Late visitor in York
David M

Post by David M »

sue_marie wrote:Hi there. This little fellow flew into my kitchen 3:30pm yesterday. The Peacock and I both live in York.
Wow. This species is normally in deep sleep by now. Hope he/she got back outside again to find a suitable hibernation spot.
sue_marie

Post by sue_marie »

Hi. After taking the photo I left the room briefly and when I came back a few minutes later it was nowhere in sight. This morning though it was on my window again so I carefully put it in my dry shed and left the door open for it to leave if it wanted. It's not where I left it now (a few hours later) so hopefully has found a nice place to hibernate because I've closed the shed door.
David M

Post by David M »

sue_marie wrote:Hi. After taking the photo I left the room briefly and when I came back a few minutes later it was nowhere in sight. This morning though it was on my window again so I carefully put it in my dry shed and left the door open for it to leave if it wanted. It's not where I left it now (a few hours later) so hopefully has found a nice place to hibernate because I've closed the shed door.
Supremely well done! It'd better find somewhere soon as Tuesday sees the first Arctic blast of winter according to the Met Office.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Yesterday at Dungeness I saw a Small Copper
IMG_8731.JPG
And a Clouded Yellow
IMG_8769.JPG
Happy Hunting

Hoggers
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

A Small Tortoiseshell was seen in East Linton, south-east Scotland yesterday.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

A Red Admiral early afternoon flying along Seaford seafront.

http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

27 November 2013
A most unexpected discovery was a Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly asleep on my bedroom wall. Without my spectacles on I thought it must have been a spider and I gave it a nudge. Sleepily, I cupped it in my hand as I did not recognise it as a butterfly at first. It was after I recognised what it was and I took the butterfly to my small empty plastic aquarium tank in my bathroom. Then the butterfly came to life and flew around the light bulb. I caught it again and by midday the butterfly is resting with its wings closed in the small aquarium. It looked worn but it did not appear to have any obvious damage.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Purple hairstreak egg on an oak bud in Bath today - the first I have found for a couple of years. Now all the leaves have fallen it is a good time to look and maybe they have had a good year locally.
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

A Cornwall Butterfly Conservation member & Cornwall Moth recorder, Leon Truscott saw "A Clouded Yellow and 3 Red Admirals at Seaton today. (Also 2 Common Darter dragonflies in the nearby Seaton Valley.)"

It has been sunny all day here in Cornwall but working in my garden this afternoon at Par, Cornwall after returning home from work at lunchtime the sun doesn't reach our garden at this time of year. What a great day's sightings for the last day in November for Leon!! Well done.
Cheers,
Lee Slaughter (Cornwall).
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

Looks like a Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell Nymphalis xanthomelas.

M.
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

Mikhail wrote:Looks like a Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell Nymphalis xanthomelas.

M.

Extraordinary
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Well of course this must be suspicious on many counts. It look very much dead to me - no antennae.

I doubt it's a deliberate fraud, more likely a confusion resulting for a butterfly found abroad and brought back home. Or something like that.

Jack
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

Jack Harrison wrote:Well of course this must be suspicious on many counts. It look very much dead to me - no antennae.

I doubt it's a deliberate fraud, more likely a confusion resulting for a butterfly found abroad and brought back home. Or something like that.

Jack
Well spotted early on a Monday morning. Found in an imported wood pile, Shetlands.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Depending where the imported wood came from so offer two possibilities.

Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell Nymphalis xanthomelas originating Scandinavia
or (unlikely) the very similar
Compton Tortoiseshell Nymphalis vaualbum possibly imported from Canada.

Sadly of course, in neither case would it be a natural arrival so nothing to get too excited about.

Jack

Return to “Sightings”