ID please

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Sue Wright

ID please

Post by Sue Wright »

Could someone kindly please ID the Butterfly below that I photographed on Holy Island last year (July 2006)? I just can't seem to come down on anything definate, perhaps someone can help me.

Thanks in advance,

Sue. PS.
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Sue,

My first thoughts were Meadow Brown but I'm not sure. It doesn't look quite right. There a far more qualified people on here that I'm sure will know what it is.

Cheers
Denise
Sue Wright

Post by Sue Wright »

Hi Denise and thank you. I know what you mean, but unless it's an odd one it's just not right. Still, we'll see what others think. Until then, thanks so much for trying, I really appreciate it.

Sue.
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

Hi Sue, This looks like a Moth to me, but as to which one ? thats where I am stuck too :?
Regards Mike
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

This is a geometrid moth. I'll leave it to the mothies to say which one!

When you can't find something in a butterfly book, look at the antennae to see if it might be a moth. Butterflies always have clubs. Moths vary, but never have real clubs (burnet moths have sort of clubs). They might have smoothly tapering antennae, feathers, hooks, &c., but always look different from butterfly antennae.

Guy
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Hmm, would it be a yellow shell? or Aplocera lythoxylata? I am not 100% sure, but I think I have seen that moth before.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Denise

Post by Denise »

padfield wrote:This is a geometrid moth. I'll leave it to the mothies to say which one!

When you can't find something in a butterfly book, look at the antennae to see if it might be a moth. Butterflies always have clubs. Moths vary, but never have real clubs (burnet moths have sort of clubs). They might have smoothly tapering antennae, feathers, hooks, &c., but always look different from butterfly antennae.

Guy
As a novice this is invaluable info! Thanks Guy, i'll remember that.

Denise
JKT

Post by JKT »

The first thing that comes to mind is Camptogramma bilineatum (spelling from memory), but it could be something else as well. The underside is wee bit difficult. :)
Sue Wright

Post by Sue Wright »

Thanks to everyone for all your help. I've got the Waring & Townsend Moth field guide, but with the folded wings (which remained so for some time) it's so difficult. Still, I'll work on the names given and see how far I get. I may possibly put it on the ukmoths web site to see if they can help.

I agree with Denise, Guy, all that information is amazing and so very good to keep to hand for the future, thank you so much for taking the trouble.

Thanks again to you all.

Sue.
Sue Wright

Post by Sue Wright »

Dave McCormick wrote:Hmm, would it be a yellow shell? or Aplocera lythoxylata? I am not 100% sure, but I think I have seen that moth before.
Well done Dave! I put it on Bird Forum as I go there often and know some really good Mothers, the first one to put up a name agreed with you....and so did 3 others!!!

Thank you very much indeed for solving it for me, I really do appreciate it.

Many thanks again, Sue.

Return to “Identification”