Dingy Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Dingy Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 5.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Dingy Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Wurzel »

Dingy Skipper

This was taken at Martin Down on a visit in mid May. The season started late so I was bemoaning that I hadn’t seen them to my girls on the drive there. We parked and started walking along the track from Sillens Lane to Bokerley and an LBJ (Little Brown Job) whizzed across the path into the longer grasses.
“What was that Dad?” asked my younger daughter.
“A Dingy Skipper” I replied excitedly as I tried to follow its erratic zig-zagging flight. It settled and after my girls had laughed, chuckled, described it as cute and eventually got bored I started taking some shots.
It flew to a seed head and wrapped its wings cloak like around the seed head and it settled down. I’d seen this posture from other peoples’ images but never witnessed it for myself which is why this is my favourite shot. It also to my mind, shows off the subtle markings nicely.
Dingy (Martin Down).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I didn't take many photos of Dingies this year it turns out - I hadn't realised. I think the late arrival of spring put my butterfly timetable out somewhat. However, the best of the bunch bears a distinct similarity to Wurzel's, hunkered down on one of last year's seed heads on a chilly 25th May at Totternhoe.
DS2 250513.JPG
Dave
CFB

Post by CFB »

I don't know who gave the name to this butterfly, because for me there is nothing at all dingy about it.
IMG_9373.JPG
--
Colin
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I only took a couple of photos of this species, this year, and this is a somewhat battered specimen but posing nicely on a grass stem.

Incidentally, there were lots of Burnet Companion moths flying at the same time, to cause a bit of confusion!
Daneway Banks, Glos - 27th June 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 70-300VR zoom - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Daneway Banks, Glos - 27th June 2013
Nikon D300s with 70-300VR zoom - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Mike
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

'Me and my shadow ...'

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My photo was taken at Warton Craig on the 25th May. The skippers were very active and never seemed to stay put for very long Goldie :D
Attachments
Dingy Skipper WC 25th may 2013 RSCN1526.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I saw Dingy Skippers in good numbers this year at a number of sites including Bishops Hill in Warwickshire and Prestbury Hill by Cheltenham.

My favourite however is the shot below of the my first one seen this year, taken at Ryton Wood Meadows on May 19th. This was taken on a cool dull day and was one of the few photos that I took this year using my close up lens fitted to my FZ150.
Dingy Skipper - Ryton Wood Meadows 19.05.2013
Dingy Skipper - Ryton Wood Meadows 19.05.2013
Cheers,

Neil.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

A fabulous species and certainly far from 'dingy' when fresh.
29 May 2013
29 May 2013
29 May 2013
29 May 2013

http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
David M

Post by David M »

How embarrassing!

Do you get to the end of the butterfly year and suddenly realise there was one (or more) species that you paid hardly any attention to?

Well, in 2012 I practically ignored Small Blues. This year it was Dingy Skippers.

I only took photos of this single individual ALL YEAR. Shame on me.
ADingy(1).jpg
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Yes David,
I too only got out once looking for Dingies. Devil's Dyke near Newmarket is probably the closest place to me where I stand a chance of finding this species and I was fortunate to spot this very fresh-looking individual...
dingyUKBlowres.jpg
Trev

Return to “Dingy Skipper”