Black Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Black Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Starting this week, here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
millerd

Re: Black Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2103

Post by millerd »

On the last day of June, after seeing Heath Fritillaries in Essex, I spent the latter part of the afternoon at Whitecross Green Wood where several Black Hairstreaks had been seen earlier. After some traditional neck-craning, patience paid off and one wandered a bit lower down, just within reach of a bit of zoom. Not a wonderful photo, but the best I've so far achieved with this species, and one that shows off the golden brown of the underside.
BlH2 300613.JPG
Dave
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Taken on a very memorable day (30th June) at the M40 Compensation Area with Dr Dan Danahar, when Black Hairstreak appeared in industrial quantities.
BWs, Neil
UKB Black Hairstreak favourite image 2013.jpg
John W

Post by John W »

My favourite is this one, the first I ever saw, at Glapthorne Cow Pasture on 6th July 2013. The lighting is a bit harsh but after patiently waiting for an hour and a half I was just pleased to get the shot!
black-hairstreak1.jpg
Cheers
John
David M

Post by David M »

What a joy it was to see this species for the first time on one of 2013's most glorious days - 30th June.

I'd attempted a few long distance images but the butterflies were proving elusive. Suddenly, as I was about to leave the pond area at Whitecross Green Wood, I turned my head and a BH was sitting at shoulder level on a leaf just a few metres away:
1BH1.jpg
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Here's my best, taken at Monk's Wood, Cambs on June 30th. Despite seeing quite a few BHs that day, I struggled to get one in camera range, and this slightly OOF shot was the best I managed:

nomad

Post by nomad »

Here are my best 2013 photos of this elusive butterfly. These were taken in Bernwood Forest and show a egg-laying female. My favourite is the image where you can see her in the act of laying a egg.
209.JPG
212.JPG
206.JPG
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

I saw my first Black Hairstreak (4) of the year on the evening of 25th June. This photo was taken on the 29th. It was a long day with much patience needed as they tended to remain high this year. The weather was good as was the company, PhiliB, NickB and Gazillion and many others who popped by for an hour or so.Two weeks previously there was talk that they would be extinct in Cambs as so few were seen last year, I only saw 1, Brampton Wood was much the same. Just goes to show a bit of rain only serves to keep we spotters away.
Black Hairstreak 130629 057A.jpg
Monks Wood, Cambs,29.06.13
CFB

Post by CFB »

Favourite Photo of 2103
Makes me feel a lot older than I am :) :) :)
--
Colin
Vince Massimo

Re: Black Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Oops, thanks Colin :)

My TARDIS was playing-up that week :wink:

Vince

Return to “Black Hairstreak”