Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Nick Broomer

Re: hideandseek

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you for your kind comments Wurzel. :D I sometimes forget how beautiful the Small Whites are, especially when they have just emerged, but i also thought Old Ragerty was just as beautiful in its own way and, as you said, was nice to see them both flying in early September together.

All the best, Nick.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

3rd September..Chiddingfold Wood..continued..

Another two oldens seen were a Clouded Yellow, which had record numbers here this year, but on the other end of the scale a Holly Blue, which did rather poorly altogether locally. This was the only photograph i managed of a Holly Blue, but faired a lot better with the Clouded Yellows.
CW 143-1_1.jpg
CW 242-1_1.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Nick,

A couple of great images there :D
hideandseek wrote:.... but on the other end of the scale a Holly Blue, which did rather poorly altogether locally...
Holly Blues were also scarce around by me, the numbers through my garden were well down on last year.

All the best,

Neil.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you for your kind comments Neil, appreciated. :D Hopefully the Holly Blues will pick up in numbers next year. Last year i did`nt see one 2nd brood Brimstone on my local patch, this year their numbers grew to great proportions seeing at least a hundred or more, what a difference a year can make. :D

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

3rd September.. continued..

Its not often i get to photograph a Green-vained White as they seem to be quite scarce in these parts for reasons unbeknown to me as they used to be rather common until a couple of years ago. So i was pleased to say the least when this fresh female presented herself to me, (shame about the thistle) well, it was`nt that easy as she kept flying from one flower head to the next but, i got there in the end. :D
CW 168_1-2.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I like the contrast between the old flower and the fresh butterfly Nick :D :mrgreen: As you say they don't make it easy do they! Sometimes I reckon that they know that we want to photograph them so they purposefully play hard to get :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you for your comments Wurzel, as always appreciated. :D Butterflies in hot sunny conditions never make it easy for the photographer, but when you get the picture you are after the satisfaction and buzz you get is unequal to anything else. :D

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

3rd September

And last but not least a couple of fresh Brimstones still fueling themselves up for their winter hibernation. As soon as the sun became hidden by passing clouds the Brimstones would go to cover and shelter within a small tree or bush.
CW 249_1.jpg
And then as the sun reappeared, they would fly to the nearest nectaring post and continue to fatten themselves up.
CW 072-1_1.jpg
Again the sun would disappear and, they would be straight back to roost, and so on..
CW 137_1.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

That last image shows the camouflage off beautifully.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you David. Brimstones certainly have the art of blending in with their surroundings when roosting. I have watched numerous Brimstones flying in to a small bush or tree, mainly Hazel, to roost this year, only for them to disappear before my eyes. After standing there looking for a while, i became aware that i had been looking at the butterfly all along with out actually being able to see it. :roll:

All the best, Nick.

Susie

Post by Susie »

The middle brimstone picture is one of my favourites ever! :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with Susie an absolute cracker of a shot Nick:D :mrgreen: The camo shot is pretty sparky too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

hideandseek wrote:I have watched numerous Brimstones flying in to a small bush or tree, mainly Hazel, to roost this year, only for them to disappear before my eyes.
That's interesting if it is behaviour exhibited in the flight season. All butterflies have to roost somewhere, and maybe Hazel is Brimstones' shrub of choice in high summer.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi David,

is Hazel the choice for roosting Brimstones or not? Hazel is rather common where i photographed these butterflies, so could be just coincidence. But just look at the leaves themselves. They are very large which gives excellent shelter, and then look at the undersides. The similarities of the shade of green and the veins of the leaf really are very similar to that of the Brimstone`s wings, perfect camouflage to keep the butterfly well hidden and safe from predators. So maybe its not coincidence....

All the best, Nick.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely camouflaged butterfly, Nick!
Ivy is pretty good too - where they often hibernate.
Brimstone1 020513.JPG
Dave

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Dave for your kind comment on my photo depicting the camouflage of the roosting Brimstone. :D

I did`nt realise Brimstones sometimes hibernated within the depths of Ivy. But i can understand why with the thick cover of this plant giving the butterfly perfect protection during the winter months. And also half a Ivy leaf is nearly identical to that of the Brimstone`s wings, (the leaf to the left of the butterfly) another example of perfect camouflage as your lovely photo depicts.

All the best, Nick.

David M

Post by David M »

In Spring, the males often seem obsessed by ivy. I suppose they instinctively know it's a good spot to find a female.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi David,

Where i photograph Brimstones there is a lack of Ivy apart from a small amount on the odd tree, which is probably why i have never witnessed males Brimstones searching Ivy for females. There is a lot of Ivy where i live including at the bottom of my garden, but i rarely see brimstones here. I will keep a look out for them next year. :D

Thank you Susie and Wurzel for your very kind comments on my Brimstone nectaring. Really appreciated. :D :D

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

On the 12th October i had a Comma and a Red Admiral on the Ivy at the end of my Garden but failed to get a shot of either one. It was the first Red Admiral i had seen in my garden this year, and the first i had seen since July. They have become such a rarity this year, i have seen more Clouded Yellows, including one that flew across my garden back in early August. But on the 15th October when i nipped home for some lunch i found another Red Admiral nectaring on some Choisya blossoms down the bottom of the garden and, managed to get a couple of photos this time before making myself a quick bite to eat and heading off again. :D
Red Admiral, garden 008-2_1_1.jpg
Red Admiral, garden 010-1_1.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots Nick :D Over the last couple of weeks I've seen more Red Admirals than I've seen over the rest of the year but nowhere near as many as last year. Still hopefully it'll all balance out in the end.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”