Unhelpful, unfriendly???

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Clancy

Unhelpful, unfriendly???

Post by Clancy »

I don't really know if can or will stay in this forum as you don't seem a very friendly lot.

I tried to join up some time ago, filled in the registration and promptly received an email from Pete indicating that he had received my registration but with the following added "Your account is currently inactive, the administrator of the board will need to activate it before you can log in. You will receive another email when this has occurred"

I'm still waiting for that email though I just found out today that it is now active.

I also went to the guest book section to introduce myself but found that the recent new members - one since July have not even been replied to by other members. I did introduce myself but won't hold my breath waiting for a reply.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Sorry Clancy!

Welcome to the forum... I hope you'll find that everybody on here is extremely friendly and helpful, as I have!

So where are you from and what brings you here?

Chris
Lance

Post by Lance »

Hi Clancy welcome to the butterfly forum.
Regards Lance
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Clancy!

I've read your reply to another post and it seems you've forgiven us for ignoring you (which was never intentional, I hope you realise)!

Speaking as a natural-born hermit (I wouldn't know nearly so much about the butterflies of Europe if I actually had friends and a social life and didn't live alone with a dog in a remote mountain chalet :) ) I think the others in these forums are shockingly friendly and helpful. I hope you come to have the same opinion in due course.

Apologies,

Guy
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Clancy
What a shame you had a duff intro to this site.
In all honesty I have witnessed some really obnoxious behaviour on other Fora on the WWW, but NEVER on this one.
In fact, I have not only had loads of enjoyable exchanges with friendly, like-minded people, I have actually MET some of them, and each to a man, (or woman) have been excellent people.
If you need information on British butterflies, or want to share your observations and/or photographs, there is no better place.
Do not give up on us.
Roger
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Clancy,

If there was no follow-up email it's because of gremlins in the works I'm afraid and certainly nothing intentional! The website does go "down" from time to time (as do most websites) which means that I will have activated your account, only for it to have then failed to send the follow-up email to let you know that!

Anyway - welcome. Now ... let's get down to butterflies :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Clancy, and welcome to the forum.

I am a fairly new member too, I joined in July and am very inexperienced. I find the people here friendly and helpful and they have patience with me as I don't know a lot. I hope that you give us a go.
Sorry for not seeing you in the guest book but I must admit that I have never been there.
Hope to see you again here,

Denise
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Welcome aboard Clancy!!
Sorry we offended you, but i'm sure if you stick around, you'll find a friendly knowledgeable lot on here.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Hi Clancy!,

Sorry if anything seemed bad. Welcome to a great place here! Hopefully you'll come to see that
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Clancy, if you could go to the September competition and vote for Gruditch, I will be your best friend for ever :D.

Gruditch
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

Hiya Clancy,
Sorry you've had a dodgy start to your association with this site.
Just one of those things I'm afraid, I'm sure you'll find everyone very friendly and helpful now you've got your intro sorted :)

Looking forward to seeing more posts from you and maybe some images ?
Regards Mike
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Clancy, if you could go to the September competition and vote for Gruditch, I will be your best friend for ever .

Gruditch

You crack me up Gruditch. You are so funny!!!!!

Denise
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

Thats NOTHING!! the pair of them(Gary and Lisa) treated me to a day out and then tea and cakes at their home recently.......funny they kept mentioning the competitions :lol: :lol:

No seriously I had a great day out with them, a fine example of making friends through this site and our common interest. Thanks for that Gruditch and Gwenhwyfar I enjoyed the day and the company.
Regards Mike
Denise

Post by Denise »

To Gruditch and Gwenhwyfar,

If I make to Hampshire butterflying next season, any chance of some pointers of where to go other than Pennington (which I already know quite well from my birding days out)?

My list of seen butterflies is short so any species would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
Denise
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

If you can make it to my side of Hampshire Denise, I'll happily be your guide to our local spots.
We've got Noar hill and Magdalen hill on our side and Old Winchester hill a bit further out. plus Alice holt forest, in which we live, for Purple Emperors/hairstreaks and White Admirals. :)

Come to think of it, we could always make it a social, the more the merrier :)
Regards Mike
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

treated me to a day out and then tea and cakes at their home recently
Oh...so MY tea and cakes, AND bacon sandwiches not worth a thank you then!!!
:cry:
Roger
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

Roger! Roger! Roger! :oops: how remiss of me ! it was of course a pleasure to meet you and Rose on the day, and the bacon sarnies were defo a highlight :)
Regards Mike
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Forgiven.
Denise

Post by Denise »

Thanks Mike,

I will take you up on that next year. Can't wait to spend some time in the field with someone who knows about and enjoys butterflies.
My family think that i'm boring and NUTS!

Denise
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

On my side of Hampshire we have plenty of downland sites, Stockbridge and Martin Downs being the most well known. We also have the world famous Bentley Wood, although only a fraction of the wood is in Hampshire, but no trip down this way would be complete without a visit to Bentley. Of course a lot depends on when you visit, as Stockbridge Down is a good site all season, but when the Chalkhill blues are on the wing its a great site. We also have Magdalen Hill which Mike is trying to claim off of us. :shock:

Gruditch

Return to “General”