Chalkhill Blue - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Chalkhill Blue - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 2.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Chalkhill Blue - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Wurzel »

Chalkhill Blue
This was taken at the Devenish back at the end of July. I’d been noting that various people had already seen them and as I was facing a visit to Wales (not noted for its Chalkhills) and had half a day on my last day at work I thought I’d do a little stop-off and pick up a few on my way home. I was chancing it as I didn’t even know if they were present at this site and as things started to go awry with my plans I was doubting whether I’d see them. The last day goodbyes overran and various road users slowed me down considerably meaning that my window of opportunity was diminishing at an alarming rate.
Luckily, breathlessly I captured this shot and so it’s my favourite. My payback for all my hard work in planning, my luck turning on a gamble and my reward for perseverance in overcoming the trials and tribulations leading up to it.
Chalkhill Blue (Devenish).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
CJB

Post by CJB »

Taken on the mobile on my second trip to Ashton Rowant.
Chalky
Chalky
An incredible day when I saw the most butterflies I have ever seen and they were literally everywhere. In the same day I got my first pictures of CY and a bizarre skipper aberrant, which Sussex Kipper recognised but I haven't posted as it is a video clip.
Very sad not to have succeeded on the LTB's, but I think it may well be all over. :(
Flutter on!
CJB
David M

Post by David M »

Saw 1,000+ of this species at Aston Rowant on 8th August 2013. The hillsides were, quite literally, a shimmering powder blue.
2CHBmale(1).jpg
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Here is mine, taken at Old Winchester Hill shame not that little bit sharper but nice in the light all the same.

Thanks

Andy
Male Chalkhill Blues.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Like others, I saw loads of Chalkhill Blues at Aston Rowant when I visited in early August on a day that started off cloudy and drizzly but turned out sunny and warm albeit a it breezy.
Chalkhill Blue - Aston Rowant - 02.08.2013
Chalkhill Blue - Aston Rowant - 02.08.2013
I was also surprised to see loads of fresh looking CHBs still on Bindon Hill when I was in Dorset in early September including the nicely marked female below with a spot on each wing.
Chalkhill Blue female - Bindon Hill 06.09.2013
Chalkhill Blue female - Bindon Hill 06.09.2013
Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

So many to choose from... Being blessed with Aston Rowant only about 40 minutes one way and Denbies 40 minutes the other, it makes seeing Chalkhills relatively easy. There were large numbers at both sites, and they were a joy to behold early in the season when the males were more numerous. Later on it was clear that there were just as many females, but their shyer nature and more subdued colours made the display far less spectacular. On 26th July, I was at Aston Rowant, and came across a male that appeared almost white, even taking account of the angle to the light.
ChB10 260713.JPG
Two days later I visited Denbies and there were countless mating pairs, of which this is one.
ChB pair3 280713.JPG
There were also quite a number of the ab. suavis variant with orange spots on the upper hindwing.
ChB ab suavis3 280713.JPG
Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'm going to be greedy and put two photo's in because I can't choose which I like the best :D

One pic shows two CHB in a puddle they found and they couldn't be disturbed when you walked a round them. It didn't rain much has we all know this year but the night before it had and they seemed to be enjoying the damp patch they'd found. I took this Photo on 23rd August and the mating couple on the 28th August at Temple Ewell Kent.

The other photo speaks for it's self I think :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Chlkhill Blues Mating 28th August 2013 TEW IMG_2890.JPG
Chalkhill Blues Dover 23rd August 2013 IMG_2736.JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Catching the sun on the bank at Aston Rowant, Oxon :
Aston Rowant NNR - 1st August 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
Aston Rowant NNR - 1st August 2013
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
Mike
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

I have several local sites for this species, but for the first time this year three individuals were recorded on different weeks on my transect at Quarry Hangers, Chaldon, Surrey. This site is on the escarpment overlooking the M23/M25 interchange. None of the record shots taken at the time were particularly noteworthy, but a few miles further to the west, adjacent to Reigate Hill, is Colley Hill, which is where I go to find a good selection of individuals of this species.
Chalkhill Blue male - Colley Hill, Surrey 6-Aug-2013
Chalkhill Blue male - Colley Hill, Surrey 6-Aug-2013
On the same visit I also got an interesting aberrant female.
Chalkhill Blue (ab. parallela?) - Colley Hill, Surrey 6-Aug-2013
Chalkhill Blue (ab. parallela?) - Colley Hill, Surrey 6-Aug-2013
Vince
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

With High and Over just a shortish walk from home I get several chances to see Chalkhill Blues. The first one here is a newly emerging male being attended to by a couple of ants. These were in attendance for around 30 minutes with the butterfly. Although I've seen newly emerged Chalkhills before this is the first time I've seen ants in attendance with this species. Also here are a couple of underwing shots of both male and female.
Attachments
emerging male Chalkhill Blue with ants
emerging male Chalkhill Blue with ants
male Chalkhill Blue
male Chalkhill Blue
female Chalkhill Blue
female Chalkhill Blue
nomad

Post by nomad »

The chalkhill Blue had a good year in North Wilts. Here are a few of my favourite 2013 images, including three of a male on a cow-pat.
504 (2).JPG
240 (2).JPG
247.JPG
249.JPG
mud-puddling

Post by mud-puddling »

I took a lot of photos of Chalkhill Blues this summer, mainly roosting butterflies. Here are some of my favourites, including what I think is ab. parallela. Note to self, to take some more open wing shots :)
Attachments
Chalkhill Blue Kithurst Hill 05_100813signred.jpg
Chalkhill Blue Kithurst Hill 04a_100813signred.jpg
Chalkhill Blue Kithurst Hill 01_100813signred.jpg
Chalkhill Blue Aberrant 01_Kithurst Hill_200813signred.jpg
Chalkhill Blue Chantry Hill 02_040813signred.jpg
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

A great year for Chalk hill blues.

These were seen/photographed on the 20/7/13, not many around on the day, but i got both male and female sightings. Location was Blue Bell Hill, near Maidstone, Kent

The Ist 2 pics are with a Nikon, and both shots are cropped.

The last pic was shot using the Panasonic FZ45, this photo is not cropped at all.

Cheers Paul.

20th-July-2013-154-to-600.jpg
20th-July-2013-136-to-600.jpg

20th-July-2013-231-to-600.jpg
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

I think my favourite has to be seeing this lot with Susie - good company all round :)
Chalkhill Blue - Denbies Hillside, Surrey - 07-Aug-13
Chalkhill Blue - Denbies Hillside, Surrey - 07-Aug-13
Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

This is the first time I'd ever seen a Chalkhill Blue, this one was at 1600 m in the Alpes de Haute Provence in July 2013. Sorry I haven't got any from the UK - this is a French cousin!
Chalkhill Blue, Ceillac en Queyras, Panasonic FZ150
Chalkhill Blue, Ceillac en Queyras, Panasonic FZ150
craigbirdphotos

Post by craigbirdphotos »

Hi,

Think this is great idea as it gives me something to do during the winter.

All three images where taken on Stockbridge Down in Hampshire which luckily is just 15 mins down the road. This was an early morning start (10th Aug) as I wanted to capture the Chalkhill Blues before they were on the wing. It looked like a good year for them with well over a thousand on Stockbridge Down.

Canon 5d Mk3 300mm lens with 25mm extension tube mounted on a tripod
Canon 5d Mk3 300mm lens with 25mm extension tube mounted on a tripod

Craig.
Last edited by craigbirdphotos on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Stunning photos as ever craig :D I do believe the first one is a female Common Blue though.

Regards

B'saurus
craigbirdphotos

Post by craigbirdphotos »

Hi B'saurus,

I struggle identifying the Blues but looking more closely I would agree.

Regards, Craig.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Hello Craig, yes they can be a bit tricky to ID at times, it was a really lovely photo though, I wish I'd taken it.
I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your fantastic photos.

Best wishes,

B'saurus

Return to “Chalkhill Blue”