2013 - Butterfly winners & losers...

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
David M

2013 - Butterfly winners & losers...

Post by David M »

After a run of pretty miserable summers, we finally had a decent one in 2013 (although spring was hijacked by the back end of winter until early May).

There were two main peaks of glorious weather; late May through to mid-June followed by much of July. Unlike the preceding few summers, even when we weren't enjoying balmy conditions, things were still relatively benign, with hardly any extremes by way of flooding, cool temperatures or high winds.

Of course, this meant that butterflies recovered significantly after their annus horriblis of 2012.

So, which were the principal winners and losers from the areas you come from. From a south Wales perspective there were far more of the former than the latter:

Winners

1. Peacock

Stratospheric numbers in late July through to mid-August. I can honestly say I've never seen so many. However, there were quite a few about in spring as well, which I presume is down to Peacocks' propensity to 'sleep in' a little compared to the other adult hibernators.

2. Small White

2013 was like being transported back to my childhood when this species was common to the point of boredom. They emerged in huge numbers during the latter part of the summer and there are still a few hanging on right now. A tremendous year for them.

3. Small Blue

I was taken aback by the numbers seen during the first brood. On two occasions I counted well into 3 figures and their flight period was pretty lengthy too. The second brood, however, was scanty in comparison making me wonder whether this 'boom and bust' cycle might be a naturally occurring process.

Notable others

Dark Green Fritillaries in numbers I've never experienced before. Small Tortoiseshells well up on all recent years too. Marsh Fritillaries seem to have done splendidly as well, whilst Common Blues and Small Coppers have shrugged off the cataclysmic effects of 2012.

Losers

1. Holly Blue

I've seen no more than a dozen or so in 2013. Maybe it's the 'trough' period in their undulating 7 year cycle. They were obviously hit early on by the cool spring, but most other species with second broods produced big numbers later in the year. Not so argiolus, sadly.

2. Large Blue

Very poor year for adult sightings at Collard Hill by all accounts. When I visited it was peak flight period but had it not been for the large numbers of other enthusiasts present on site that day, I might well not have seen a single one so thin on the ground were they. I wonder if this is down to the health of the ant population which is obviously critical to this butterfly's development?

3. Red Admiral

Didn't see one at all until 26th June, which must be a record! Undoubtedly, most were affected by the cold, cold conditions that persisted through the late winter right through till the end of April. Numbers have picked up in recent weeks, but they've been conspicuous by their absence for much of 2013.
Goldie M

Re: 2013 - Butterfly winners & losers...

Post by Goldie M »

Where I live, North west, the losers have definitely been Painted Ladies . Looking through my local Lancashire CS very few have been seen, also I've seen only one Holly Blue and that was in Blean Woods in Kent. I also saw my one and only Painted lady in Kent, that was my first in two years.

We've also seen a reduction in Gate Keepers and the Red Admiral's have only just arrived on the scene. not many RA have been seen In September up here which is unusual.

Winner's up here have been with out a doubt the Small Tortoiseshell, Peacocks and the Whites. I have had Small Skippers in my garden for the first time as well.
But there again not many Large Skippers have been seen . Lets hope we have a great Summer next year and these species recover Goldie :)
Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

Speaking locally ( Worthing and surrounds ) , Holly Blues did not have a bad year at all and Small Blues had a phenomenal first brood and a decent 2nd brood . Speckled Woods had a tremendous year and Common Blues a good one despite 2012 making everyone think that name was a misnomer . The butterfly of the year though was IMHO the Purple Emperor very common in it's stronghold woods and seen in many new areas . Yes Dark Green Frits had a great year too .
Losers for me personally Small Copper ( though others have said they had a great end to the year ) and Small Heath .
As for the Large Blue at Collard Hill . I believe that despite the lack of butterflies seen , there have been plenty of eggs laid so perhaps they were laid by abs invisiblata
kevling

Post by kevling »

Being Suffolk based, the undoubted winners of the year for me were Small Tortoiseshells. The last time I saw them in such numbers was when I was a schoolboy (and believe me that is now a distant memory).
I agree with you David, Small White numbers went through the roof too in this region. On a more localised note, Ipswich's Silver Studded Blue colony almost doubled in size too, which was very welcome.

The losers for me were Red Admirals and Painted Lady's. The former was in very low numbers compared to usual and apart from the caterpillars I reared myself, I did not see a single Painted Lady this year, surprising given the appearance of so many migrants. Might just be that I wasn't in teh right place at the right time.

Looking forward to 2014 already. Just a few lonley months to get thorugh first.

Regards
Kev
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

From Essex,i feel that;

Loosers-the migrants! Red Admirals and Painted Ladies have been virtually absent! Just the odd autumn Red Admiral now being seen-i saw a fresh one today. But they were far more common in last year's washout summer than this years good one. And the Clouded yellow? A couple were seen in August,but it never got going,and the autumn generation has completely failed,perhaps because of the cold,dull weather in September,which slows down their breeding cycle.

Winners-most of the others! Nymphalids,browns and whites did well,apart from the Orange Tip,which was scarce in the cold,dull spring. 'Golden' skippers did well too. Small Tortoiseshells were in fantastic numbers,especially the high summer brood,numbers were slightly lower in the late summer emergence. Holly blues,after a good first brood,crashed in the second,but Common Blues and Small Coppers bounced back from a poor showing in 2012.

Essentially,the spring species,i feel,had a bad time,but summer resident species did very well. Which was fantastic!
Part timer

Post by Part timer »

In Hampshire, Clouded Yellow must be counted amongst the winners - they've been all over the place. Agree that Red Admirals have had an indifferent year, though.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes,i agree CY seem to have had a fairly good year in the far south of England,but they don't seem to got as far as i was hoping. My comment was purely from an Essex point of view,i should have made that clear. Certainly they were common in Cornwall in August,when i were down there.
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote:Holly blues,after a good first brood,crashed in the second
That's really bizarre, Buzzard, given that most other double-brooded species seemed to do the opposite; i.e., low numbers in spring followed by an explosion of numbers in late summer.

Return to “General”