October 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: October 2013

Post by David M »

I take it that this is an additional brood then?
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

David M wrote:I take it that this is an additional brood then?
Looks like it. Wall Browns sometimes have a third brood and are seen in November. Picture of a Meadow Brown should be available. I don't try too hard to take a picture so I will have to have a look.

Records of Meadow Browns are continuous throughout September so it is not so easy to see if they are new broods. Records copulating in the middle of October. Weather is rarely good enough to make a visit worthwhile now. I went to look at the Colletes bees.

No pictures from the last visit. Some from 2 October 2013. Estimated 12 then, not counted.

Last edited by Perseus on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Seen yesterday at the time stated. Any ideas what it is? :?:
Attachments
02-Pratt-Ian--IMG_3642.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--IMG_3641.jpg
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

I think it's a Fox Moth Macrothylacia rubi
Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
David M

Post by David M »

Perseus wrote:

Records of Meadow Browns are continuous throughout September so it is not so easy to see if they are new broods. Records copulating in the middle of October.
I've regularly seen Meadow Browns well into September, but this year (in S. Wales at least) they all but disappeared in late August. This was in spite of them emerging slightly later than usual.

I've certainly never seen them in October, but that's probably because the extra brood which occurs occasionally is virtually unheard of here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I have never read anywhere of Meadow Browns having more than one brood - just one very long one. They are not alone in this: Lulworth Skippers can be seen from May to September, and this is also one long brood rather than two. Why this is, or how it is known for certain, I cannot say. I wonder if any experts can shed some light? :?

Dave
marmari

Post by marmari »

Last edited by marmari on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

millerd wrote:I have never read anywhere of Meadow Browns having more than one brood - just one very long one. They are not alone in this: Lulworth Skippers can be seen from May to September, and this is also one long brood rather than two. Why this is, or how it is known for certain, I cannot say. I wonder if any experts can shed some light? :?

Dave
I can examine the records to they (Meadow Browns) do appear to have peaks that go up and down a bit. It is difficult to tell with the variable weather. I assume in Dorset there are still plenty of Meadow Browns flying around.

It only occurs late in short vegetation areas in the Shoreham area, I think the spiders might get them elsewhere (where they can string their webs across).
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

8 October 2013
Another pleasant day for a trip up the downs: on the way up to Mill Hill I noted a few Large Whites by the River Adur, a Small White in Old Shoreham, a Red Admiral in the the Butterfly Copse by the Waterworks Road, and a Comma at the top of the Pixie Path. This time the sun went behind a cloud as I descended to the lower slopes of Mill Hill, where it is was five minutes before the first of ten Meadow Browns made an appearance. All but two seen in the transect acre were at the northern end. One pair continued copulating in flight when disturbed. The northern end of the lower slopes was also attractive to a female Common Blue, a faded Small Copper (a different one from seen two days earlier) and a much brighter Clouded Yellow than seen before. On my return a Speckled Wood Butterfly was seen at the top of Chanctonbury Drive (SE of Mill Hill Road Bridge over the A27).
Nine butterfly species

Meadow Brown
http://www.blipfoto.com/entry/3544248

Adur Butterfly & Large Moth List
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Butterfly-list2013.html

Adur Valley Nature Notes
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Adur2013.html
Adur Valley Nature Notes: October2013
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Oct2013.html
Last edited by Perseus on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

With just a short window of available time late afternoon yesterday I shot up to Hope Gap near Seaford Head where there can be some interesting insects and birds at this time of year. A few false alarms with Common Blues pretending to be Long-tailed and plenty of Small Copper but the main interest came in an unusual colour Clouded Yellow. It was actually a helise but had very strong yellow colouration of the under-wings that the evening light made it appear to be a pale lemon colour. I followed it for some time before it rested up.
DSC_7555 (1024x674).jpg
Today I decided to see if I could find a 3rd brood Wall Brown. As the first 2 broods were so late I was not really expecting to find any but one has to try!! With all the rushing around over the last couple of weeks after Long-tailed Blues it was relaxing to be back on my home patch. Even though its well into October I still saw 11 species.
At this time of year I feel as worn out as this Speckled Wood!!
DSC_7566 (1024x616).jpg
Throughout the walk there were still several Meadow Browns including a mating pair. Another Clouded Yellow also seen as well as this smart Comma.
DSC_7570 (1024x678).jpg
I had just started the long walk back when near the top of the hill I saw a blue butterfly. Managing to keep on it I saw it land on a yellow flower and looking through the binoculars it was yet another Long-tailed Blue, well away from any of the other sites. Fortunately it landed on tall grass to allow a quick photo. Unfortunately it had seen better days but hey it is still a Long-tailed Blue!
DSC_7584 (1024x712).jpg
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

A couple of unusual garden visitors in the last few days - Clouded Yellow and Small Copper. In fact there are a fair few Small Coppers out and about in the area at the moment - the best numbers since at least spring 2012.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Today ,whilst looking for fungi on Hambledon Common,I was surprised to see this Comma warming up in the sun.I think this is about the last day for butterflies but I was rewarded by seeing a speckled wood,small white and a small copper.Add to this another parasole and schweinitzii and it was quite a good morning.
P.J.U.
Attachments
Comma (2).jpg
Macrolepiota procera-Parasol (2).jpg
Phaeolus schweinitzii-Dyers mazegill (2).jpg
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Hope you ate the parasols :D ...

Tony M.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Chilly Isle of Mull 10th October. Temperature just 10C.

One Peacock braving the cold, albeit in sparkling sunshine.

Jack
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

With temperatures falling, I have been checking my nasturtium and removing all remaining Small White larvae. These are being relocated to potted Garlic Mustard plants in the shed, thus giving them a better chance of completing their development. Six larvae, ranging in size between 2nd and 4th instar, have been found in the past week. The smallest of these moulted into its 3rd instar today.
2nd instar Small White larva (pre-moult) - Caterham, Surrey 10-Oct-2013
2nd instar Small White larva (pre-moult) - Caterham, Surrey 10-Oct-2013
3rd instar Small White larva (post moult) - Caterham, Surrey 10 Oct-2013
3rd instar Small White larva (post moult) - Caterham, Surrey 10 Oct-2013
4th instar Small White larva - Caterham, Surrey 10-Oct-2013
4th instar Small White larva - Caterham, Surrey 10-Oct-2013
Yesterday, whilst pruning my Buddleia I discovered a 55mm long larva of a Peppered Moth.
Peppered Moth larva - Caterham, Surrey 9-Oct-2013
Peppered Moth larva - Caterham, Surrey 9-Oct-2013
This was returned to the plant and should hopefully be pupating soon.

Vince
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Small Copper and Comma on the bank opposite the American Museum in Bath today. Both species seem to be around in very good numbers at the moment, after a disappointing spring and summer. Hopefully they are set up for a good 2014 now.
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

Cold north wind and the only butterfly around was Red Admiral. Collected blackberries instead. Got stung by a Stinging Nettle and I can still feel it three hours later.

Adur Butterfly & Large Moth List
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Butterfly-list2013.html

PS: Just woken up. I can still feel the sting from the Nettle.
Last edited by Perseus on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Cold morning here in Swansea (8c) but one Comma seen at lunchtime nonetheless.

Got a shock tonight though - it was just 8.5c when I ventured out to the supermarket at 7.30pm.

The season is surely coming to an end.
CFB

Post by CFB »

David M wrote:Cold morning here in Swansea (8c)
Well it was only 7 degrees C in Valbonne when we got up this morning. And we will also be going to the supermarket.

But yesterday there were still Adonis Blues, a Brown Argus, a Long-tailed Blue, Lang's Short-tailed Blues, a Clouded Yellow, a couple of very tatty Silver-washed Fritillaries, and this:
IMG_0502.JPG
--
Colin
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Isle of Mull 11th October - Peacock or Red Admiral?

Didn’t see the actual butterfly but did see the shadow of its wings upon the wall

Jack

Return to “Sightings”