Long Tailed Blues in Sussex

Discussion forum for sightings.
Mark Tutton

Long Tailed Blues in Sussex

Post by Mark Tutton »

Just in case it might save anyone a long journey I spent a few hours at Shoreham cement works ( thanks Neil) this morning and saw two pristine male LTB. I will post photos later but first look I think they are different specimens but the condition is so good it's difficult to tell :D had two other brief and distant sightings over the fence.
I arrived at 8.30am and saw the first one about 10 am as it flew over the fence and spent 10 mins nectaring on the ivy giving good open and closed wing views.
Fellow UKB member Vince arrived along with several other hopefuls and after about an hour Vince spotted one making its way towards the fence and sure enough it came up and over and made a bee line for the ivy quickly settling to nectar - much to everyone's delight. It spent long enough to give everyone present great views and photo opportunities - a lifer for most present :D
The weather was perfect and I hung around until 12.30 but no more sightings. Did have great views of Honey Buzzard - first for me - being harangued by a peregrine that stooped off of the top of the chimney.
Fantastic morning :D
Mark :)
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Susie

Re: Long Tailed Blues in Sussex

Post by Susie »

Thanks! I'll be there tomorrow. Think I will be out of luck as no sunshine forecast but it is my only chance this week. :|
John W

Post by John W »

I was at the cement works too this morning (Sunday) and was lucky enough to see the second of the butterflies that Mark refers to above. I think it nectared on the ivy bush for about 10-15 minutes, long enough for all the enthusiasts there to take some shots :)

Cheers
John
ltb1.jpg
ltb2.jpg
ltb3.jpg
ltb4.jpg
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Long-tailed Blue sightings in Sussex started with migrants in Arundel (on 8th August) and Pett (near Rye on 9th August), where eggs were also seen to be laid on Broad-leaved Everlasting Pea. Also a sighting in Newhaven (on 17th August) plus eggs in the general vicinity later.

The progeny of the August pioneers began appearing around the middle of September and site-specific reports included Newhaven (on 20th September), near Beachy Head (on 24th September), Bury (near Pulborough on 27th September) and Beeding Cement Works (near Shoreham on the same day), Seaford Head (on 1st October) and Southwick (in Shoreham on 2nd October). However, probably the most significant sighting of all was of three individuals in a private garden near Beachy Head on 2nd October including a mating pair.

Today I visited Beeding Cement Works (near Shoreham), arriving at 10.45 and kept watch against the fence near the parking area. A male long-tailed Blue appeared from inside the site at 11.35 and landed beside me on a large clump of flowing Ivy, staying until 11.45 when it flew eastwards back over the fence. To say that I was chuffed was an understatement :D .
These are my best two images:
Long-tailed Blue male 6-Oct-2013
I then continued on to the seafront at Lancing where 3 Clouded yellows were seen.

It was good to see UKB members Mark and John on site today and I hope that others who are still trying to connect with this species manage to do so soon.

Vince
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Congratulations Mark, John and Vince. I was initially worried that this site was too small and difficult to work for many others to have any success here, as so much of the habitat is out of reach. I would have loved to have seen the Honey Buzzard. Good luck tomorrow Susie!
BWs, Neil
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Just compared vince and my photos and it confirms that the two I saw were different individuals :D
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
John W

Post by John W »

Thanks to Neil for finding the site in the first place!

The following two images were taken 4 seconds apart. In the first the tails are pointing upwards at a jaunty angle, but in the second the tails are pointing downwards. Can the butterflies control the position of their tails? If so, for what purpose?
ltb4.jpg
ltb-5.jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi John. The tails are in fact very flimsy affairs, like thin cotton threads, and they move with any air movement. In many pictures, especially in books, they look like straight wires sticking out of the tail but this is an illusion.

It feels sacrilegious, but here's one of several videos I took last year, not in the UK, when we had our invasion in Switzerland. There were very few around this year ...

Watch the tails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ramnndcoiyc[/video]

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

John W wrote:Can the butterflies control the position of their tails? If so, for what purpose?
I believe the tails move due to the wind and, perhaps, the butterfly orients itself to ensure this happens. The purpose is to provide birds with the illusion that its tail end is actually its head so that they attack the wrong end.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

... and the tails seem to have been very cleverly designed! There are small, flat 'pads' at the end of each of these mock antennae, which catch the slightest breeze and impart movement, presumably drawing a bird strike more effectively.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More reports on the BC Sussex website Sightings Page at http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.html
"Henceforth and from this day forward, 6 October should forever be known as "Long-tailed Blue Day"." (Bob Foreman, Webmaster)
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Sussex Kipper wrote:More reports on the BC Sussex website Sightings Page at http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.html
"Henceforth and from this day forward, 6 October should forever be known as "Long-tailed Blue Day"." (Bob Foreman, Webmaster)
Sounds like a perfectly good reason for a new national holiday to me :wink:
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

On Saturday I received a phone call from Nigel (Downland Boy) telling me had a male Long-tailed Blue near Beachy Head. I shot over there but by the time I arrived the Blue had vanished and he was having a cuppa!! However, after a long search I relocated it and after a short flight it landed in a bush where it allowed several pictures. Since the first sighting by Colin I have now managed to see them on several occasions with just into double figure different specimens. Most have been in overcast conditions strangely. My biggest regret was missing the mating pair by just a couple of minutes!!!! All because I couldn't find the spot where James was.
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
Attachments
male Long-tailed Blue
male Long-tailed Blue
Last edited by badgerbob on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I've just got back from the cement works near Shoreham and am very pleased to report that I saw a long tailed blue there this morning :D

Huge thanks to everyone who has posted information about this species at this and other sites.

The day is still fine so if you are reading this now there is still time to go and try your luck if you are in the area.

I met some lovely people this morning and it was a great experience, even if seeing the LTB was far too fleeting. Also seen were some pristine red admirals, a small white and a brown hairstreak.

It was nice to meet up with Neil Hulme again and Mia. She's a real beauty and turning into a really delightful little girl.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Excellent :D
Well done Susie. Did you get any photos?

Vince
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Fantastic news Susie, congratulations :D
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Indeed. Well done Susie!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Yeayyy! Good news Susie. :D
That's just about everyone who's looked now isn't it? :wink:

Trev
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Not yet, Trev... :|

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Thank goodness. I've been on the edge of my seat with fingers crossed for the best part of 2 weeks now hoping everyone that went got to at least see them :D
Last edited by Rosalyn on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Sightings”