Every cloud ...

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Every cloud ...

Post by Philzoid »

29/09/13
After being notified of a long-tailed Blue sighting a bit closer to home (Sussex Kipper PD post) and a window of opportunity with the weather conditions I decided it was now or never, to try and get my own sighting of this lovely little butterfly. Due to other commitments I had to leave later than I would've liked and didn't arrive gone 12:30. A small group of 10 or so enthusiasts had already gathered and were standing in a line peering intently through a mesh fence. Occasionally one or two woulod take a wander along a path by a very busy road checking out the everlasting pea plants which were growing in profusion there. I settled in along the line and got talking to one or two of the other enthusiasts. One was UKB member Butterflysaurus rex and he was pretty sure he'd seen a LTB make off over the hedgerows runing alongside the A283. Another enthusiast was convinced he'd seen one amongst the weeds just two metres inside the fence. This led to a prolonged stake out session. :|

The weather at midday or so was quite sunny and there were a few butterflies about: Small White; Comma; Brimstone; Red Admiral and Small Copper :) . Much to my annoyance I was told there had been a Clouded Yellow before I'd arrived :roll: . This butterfly has featured very heavily on the sightings board this year but I have only seen two, very briefly :( .
Comma on Ivy flowers which were covered in bees and wasps
Comma on Ivy flowers which were covered in bees and wasps
A lot of excitement for just a Small Copper ... from me anyway
A lot of excitement for just a Small Copper ... from me anyway
Red Admiral in Long-tailed Blue habitat through the fence
Red Admiral in Long-tailed Blue habitat through the fence
Talking to the other members helped pass the time while we staked out this butterfly. I particular enjoyed meeting Butterflysaurus rex and his girlfriend, who were very enthusiastic and friendly people :D , and was given quite few tips on places to visit for next year 8) (I'm not familiar with Sussex, tending to make my forays westwards into Hampshire and Wiltshire).
As time passed the weather cooled and clouded over and the butterfly enthusiasts one by one began to drift away :( . Eventually I conceded defeat too, and set off for home, disappointed :( :!: .... but that's how it goes sometimes. :|

My disappointment was more than adequately compensated the following morning when I opened up the moth trap and found this beast lurking :shock: :D .
Acherontia atropos: Death's head Hawk moth
Acherontia atropos: Death's head Hawk moth
Acherontia atropos, the Death's Head (it's pretty obvious where it gets its name from) is a migrant from Africa and comes in small numbers most years. It does not feed on flowers but invades bee hives and sucks up honey through its short stout proboscis.

I've seen these moths before having reared them (on Privet) some time ago but I've never seen a wild one and it seemed even bigger than I remember. This one has a wingspan measure of around 13.5cm.
E 2013.09.30 Death's Head Hawk Moth (+ 50p).jpg
As I moved it from the egg boxes it clutched onto my finger (camera holding hand unfortunately) and I could feel the weight of it and the tarsal hooked claws gripping my skin. Eventually I got it moved onto a sheet of yellow felt where it jerked a few times and emmitted a few rasping squeaks, which done by forcing air through its proboscis. This characteristic along with its looks contributed in the past to feelings of superstition and fear, and it was considered to be an omen of death. The moth which features in the Silence of the Lambs is this species.
On my camera shooting hand hence poor pic
On my camera shooting hand hence poor pic
G 2013.09.30 Death's Head Hawk Moth trim.jpg
Large and Broad-bordered Yellow Underwings: two common 'large moths' for comparison
Large and Broad-bordered Yellow Underwings: two common 'large moths' for comparison
With Dark Sword-grass, a more 'common' migrant
With Dark Sword-grass, a more 'common' migrant
J 2013.09.30 P1170323 Death's Head Hawk Moth.jpg
Just prior to release
Just prior to release
This moth is the latest one of 385 species I have taken so far this year in my garden. If anyone is inerested in my species list please email me:- philozzo1@ntlworld.com and I will send you a copy. I'm hoping to make over 400 before the season closes (end of December for the nationwide "garden moth challenge") but I'll probably stop around mid October.

Phil
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Every cloud ...

Post by Pete Eeles »

Well done on the Death's Head Philzoid, and sorry to hear about the LTB. If you haven't already, can you please report the former?!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
CJB

Post by CJB »

Wow Philzoid,
What amazing pictures of the DH. Moths are my next target when I move out of London and I intend to get a trap; any pointers on a good one would be much appreciated.
Bad luck with the LTB, I had a similar experience when I went to Kingsdown Leas which you may have read! Frustrating, but as the french say 'zat's larf'! I hope you manage to find one before the weather renders it impossible. It sounds as though we need to drive round Sussex and Kent with someone spotting wild sweet pea on the verge. :wink:
Flutter on!
CJB
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Pete Eeles wrote:Well done on the Death's Head Philzoid, and sorry to hear about the LTB. If you haven't already, can you please report the former?!
Thanks Pete :) I had planned to send my completed garden survey to Surrey Wildlife trust (which is what I did last year) who then would forward it on to the county recorder. I know of two important people who should be able to help. One (Paul Wheeler) of which is a work colleague who is going to find out where I need to send it (he mentioned "Atropos" which I think is a magazine/newsletter dedicated to moths and such). Another is Graham Collins whom I've only just met by accident recently. Both are experts in their field and should soon be able to point me in the right direction.
CJB wrote:Moths are my next target when I move out of London and I intend to get a trap; any pointers on a good one would be much appreciated.
I use a Robinson trap which I 'borrowed' from another work colleague and he doesn't want it back yet (I'm keeping quiet about the Death's Head as he might change his mind :wink: ) It runs a mercury vapour (MV) 80 watt bulb. These and the 125 Watt are pretty standard for a Robinson. The bulbs cost between 5 - 6 pounds and I order mine through a local hardware shop. Unfortunately I don't know what the cost of a Robinson trap is but I suspect they are in the region of £300 - £400 new. A cheaper trap is a Skinner.
Alternatively you may be able to build your own but you'll need the correct transformer for the current (I suspect you can buy these from Watkins and Doncaster) If you do decide to get one, try and get a clear perspex bulb cover rig for rainy nights. This is something I haven't got so I rely on good night-time weather forecasts. I've lost a few bulbs when the rain has come and cracked the hot bulb :( . Moths unlike butterflies will fly when it's raining.

Good luck :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to hear about the LTB dip :( Mind you the Deaths Head is some serious compensation great shots especially the "prior to" - really shows of the size, what a beast :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
mud-puddling

Post by mud-puddling »

Hi,

Amazing pics of the DH Hawk Moth - what a creature! I'm keen to get into Moths myself and was recommended this site: http://www.angleps.com/mothtraps.php

I believe the Skinner SK07 is a good one and reasonably priced. Hope to get one in the New Year.

Regards,
Leigh
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Fantastic find Philzoid :shock: It was great to meet you the other day, I'm sure that we will meet again sometime next year :D

Now where can I buy myself a moth trap hmmm
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Phil - fantastic find should definitely make up for dipping on LTB - you have seen one before anyway :D
There is still time yet if only the weather would break.
The Atropos you referred to is probably this website which has a Flight Arrivals link for migrant moths and butterflies. Haven't see Deaths Head reported recently though so would be worth reporting.
Kind Regards
Mark :D
See http://www.atropos.info/flightarrivals/
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Philzoid

Your Deaths Head is a very nice find :D I believe that Deaths Head larvae have been reported from Dorset recently, feeding on Chilli Pepper plants :shock:
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Wurzel wrote:Mind you the Deaths Head is some serious compensation great shots especially the "prior to" - really shows of the size, what a beast
Thanks for that Wurzel :) . Seconds later she was out of the conservatory door I'd purposefully opened as by that time I'd have my fill of the squeaking whirling dervish clattering into everything and breaking the crockery :shock: :lol:
mud-puddling wrote:I believe the Skinner SK07 is a good one and reasonably priced. Hope to get one in the New Year.
Certainly much cheaper than a Robinson. The Skinner works well to attract but the Robinson is better for retaining the catch if you want to leave it all night and get some shut-eye :| .

The company's bulb prices seem a but steep to me :?
Butterflysaurus rex wrote:Fantastic find Philzoid It was great to meet you the other day, I'm sure that we will meet again sometime next year

Now where can I buy myself a moth trap hmmm
Thanks for the kind comments Butterflysaurus rex :) . The link to the company that Leigh has posted looks good to me … but I would shop around for your bulbs.
Tuts wrote:Hi Phil - fantastic find should definitely make up for dipping on LTB - you have seen one before anyway
There is still time yet if only the weather would break.
The Atropos you referred to is probably this website which has a Flight Arrivals link for migrant moths and butterflies. Haven't see Deaths Head reported recently though so would be worth reporting.
Kind Regards
Mark
Great to hear from you again Mark and many thanks for the link :D I hadn't forgottoen my previous LTB and I doubt everyone that has met me in the field has forgotten too :lol:
jackz432r wrote:Your Deaths Head is a very nice find I believe that Deaths Head larvae have been reported from Dorset recently, feeding on Chilli Pepper plants
Thanks for that info Jack :) . The larvae are reported to feed on plants from the family Solanaceae or Verbenaceae so I assume chilli peppers are from one of this family?

Phil
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Hi,

Just for ref i bought my self assembly moth trap kit (22w atinic) from

http://www.pwbelg.clara.net/mercury/index.html

which was a very reasonable price and works a treat

Cheers

Andy

Return to “General”