Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: hideandseek

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote:Absolutely cracking shots Nick :D And I'm enjoying them all the more as this could be as close as I get to them :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Totally agree :mrgreen: :D

All the best,

Neil F.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Wurzel, Rex and Neil for all your kind comments, appreciated. :D :D :D

On the butterfly front, i saw a male Brimstone, a Peacock plus a few Small Whites today on my lunch break.

All the best, Nick.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely shots of the LTB Nick - so pristine. I understand Mark has collected some eggs and they started hatching on 11th so I am looking forward to seeing his shots too - even if I have to buy the Sussex Mag!

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Pauline, appreciated. :D

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

3rd September, continued....

I found a Wood White`s ovum on the 26th August, this is the same ovum 5 days later, now having turned yellow, [was white when first layed].
Wood White ovum after 5 days 008_1.jpg
It should hatch after 7 days, and i was hoping to photograph the larva emerging, but i could`nt get back to the wood until the 8th day [3rd Sept.]i was just hoping hatching had been delayed. When i reached the location of the ovum and inspected it i could see i was still in luck, the egg was still intact, and now had reverted back to it`s original colour of white.
CW Wood White ovum after 8 days 262-2_1.jpg

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

5th September...

Two days later i returned to the location of the Wood White`s ovum to find it had just hatched, third time lucky for me as i had found two other eggs this year and missed the emergance of the larva and failed to find any trace of the caterpillar. The light was very poor and it was blowing a slight wind, all the photos were taken at the following camera settings.Speed 1/40th of a second, aperture value 5-0 bar one that was taken at 1/60th sec. and AV 6-0, which are very poor settings especially for close-up photography and i was surprised to get any sort of photo. They are definitely not the best photos i have taken this year and not the sharpest but, are certainly my favourites, and between the four of them depicts just how beautiful and cute the first instar Wood White larva is.I did return to try and find it again but, found no sign of the larva, so will try again next year, and hopefully get some better photos.
Wood White larva just hatched, Chiddingfold Wood, Surrey 033-5_1.jpg
Wood White larva just hatched, Chiddingfold Wood, Surrey 023-6_1.jpg
Wood White larva just hatched, Chiddingfold Wood, Surrey 036-2_1.jpg
Wood White larva just hatched, Chiddingfold Wood, Surrey 032-2_2.jpg
This larva is no longer than 3mm in length.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Astonishing photos once again. Marvellous!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm trying see the larva without anthropomorphising but all I can think is that it looks "cute". Brill shots despite your self critiquing :D Are the dark marks at the head end the forerunners to eyes or just pigmentation?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you both Susie and Wurzel for your very kind comments, appreciated. :D :D

Wurzel, caterpillars have six pairs of eyes, and you were right the first time, the black spots are it`s eyes [Ocelli]. They can`t see like you and i, but can detect light intensity and, they feel, touch through the very small hairs that cover a caterpillars body. Hope that helps.

All the best, Nick.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cracking photos of the Wood White egg and caterpillar Nick, certainly is a cute looking little critter :D

All the best,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Nick, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see your photo of the male LTB from the South coast - are you going to keep us waiting much longer?

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

I would love to see your photos from your resent trip to Kingsdown Leas too Pauline. :D :D

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you for your kind comments Neil, appreciated as always. :D :D

All the best, Nick.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Sadly, my LTB pics were of quite worn individuals Nick, not pristine like yours, but they will be in my diary at the start of next year. Perhaps you could also treat us to some of the photos of the immature stages you took at Mark's house at the same time, as that is something many of us have never seen.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Pauline,

I do not intend to post any of the early stages i photographed at marks home, [which were not many] as i know he has some superb images, which he plans to use for a future project.

All the best, Nick.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Fair enough Nick - there's still your male LTB from the south coast to look forward to seeing tho :lol:

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Cracking photos in your last few posts Nick, great shots of the LTB's :D

Mike

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Mike, appreciated. :D I still have a few posts to catch up on and, maybe some early stages if i get the time to sort through all the photos,[hundreds] been really busy of late, but will try and post as soon as possible.

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

3rd September Chiddingfold Wood...continued....

Just trying to catch up, as i have been very busy of late..........

There were a few whites about old and new...and you could`nt get much older and newer than these two Small Whites....
CW 253_1.jpg
CW 225-1_1_1.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The contrast in September is great isn't it with old and new visible in the same field of view :D The fresh Small White is a cracker :D :mrgreen: Although is White the correct name - has a Clouded Yellowgot a bit carried away :wink: :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”