Long tailed Blues in Kent

Discussion forum for sightings.
Neil Hulme

Re: Long tailed Blues in Kent

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,

See Tom Brereton's tweet on the UKB cover page. Two more LTB seen in a garden in Lyminge (is that a rude word? :shock: ), Kent. I'm sure there will be plenty of others out there too!

Regarding the discussion of collecting, I have no doubt that the odd numpty might have turned up with a net to chance his arm, but those that have visited the site and are aware of the large number of enthusiasts constantly patrolling in a super-vigilant manner, and how difficult it is to spot these butterflies, the idea of someone being able to discreetly net 4 doesn't sound feasible to me. It sounds like either bragging or a deliberate wind-up. If anyone does see and suspect the removal of LTBs (which would be an offence, this being a SSSI and National Trust property) they should photograph the person, try to get a number plate and 'phone the police, asking to report the matter to the Wildlife Crimes Officer. With reference to my earlier joke about a swift lesson in geology of the Late Cretaceous period, please don't start an altercation near the cliff-edge!

BWs, Neil
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

I'm heading down from Nottingham on Saturday and possibly Sunday although the weather forecast is for windy conditions.
Are there any sheltered spots Neil, where we're more likely to see these butterflies?

I'll happily film anyone who may be collecting LTBs and pass a copy of the video clip onto the police unless the culprit fancies a flying lesson.
Cheers Paul

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Butterflysaurus Rex eats 'nasty netters' for breakfast, they taste pretty awful so I spit most of em out after a bit of a chew :wink: being half Dinosaur has it's advantages :twisted:

Sadly there will always be some unpleasant and highly selfish individuals out there. I'm saddened by this kind of behaviour and it makes me angry but at least we can make things as difficult as possible by keeping vigilant and reporting them. Thankfully I've never seen a "netter" but if I do I will quickly become a big annoyance by following the idiot around taking their photo and just get in the way until the numpty gives up.

Good luck to everyone looking for the LTB's, I'm still on my quest to find another one for a better photo. They are few and far between here in Sussex after my brief encounter on Monday I've been out looking every day since and not seen another.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I'm working in Kent Saturday and Monday with Sunday Free so planning on visiting as I'm only an hour away. Forecast is sunny but breezy. Hopefully they can find some shelter there somewhere :)
Susie

Post by Susie »

I'm hoping to get there tomorrow or Monday so here's hoping they're still there. Monday's forecast looks increasingly unsuitable.
Last edited by Susie on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

If it is quite windy Saturday & Sunday when I will be there with my family from Cornwall then has anyone any idea where these creatures hide or shelter in the breeze??
Cheers,
Lee Slaughter (Cornwall).
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Marc Heath wrote:Utterly disgusting behaviour. If I were to see this behaviour when I was there that net would be thoroughly shuffed up their arse
Sussie wrote: I hope karma bites them in the bum
Seems to be a common theme developing here based on someone's rear parts. It just shows how angry the vast majority of butterflyers would be. Neils warning about how close the cliff edge is in places is perhaps a warning to keep calm if should such a situation on site develop.
With regards to questions about weather and location. I have not managed to go myself today but so far it has been very sunny here in Kent, although the easterly breeze is a bit stronger than we would all like. I would say the temperature at the moment is round about 17-18 degrees. The cliff is exposed to the elements but there is sheltered spots on the west side of the bushes, which are between the private road and the cliff edge. This tends to give the west side of the road verges some decent spots of warmth. The forecast for the weekend is not ideal but should give windows of opportunity.
The amount of Everlasting Pea in flower on Tuesday was very low compared to the sightings in August. That said, the area to work is not that large with a length of say 400 metres by 20 metres wide, so with enough people looking it should be feasible to see any LTB's left on site. The road side verge in front of Ship House seems to be fairly reliable, as does the stretch around the House called Moonraker.
If you are coming in from the Kingsdown end then it is worth joining the private road once you have climbed the steep steps up onto the cliff behind the golf course. The Everlasting Pea starts on the road side almost immediately.
Please remember to respect residents privacy, most are friendly and helpful. Best wishes if you are going.
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Thank you Dave Brown for your help/advice. Fingers crossed to see at least 1 L.T.Blue. My 10 year old son, Robert will be well chuffed too making it his 53rd species in Britain for butterflies on British soil and his 50th this year!
Thanks & respect, 8)
Lee Slaughter.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Paul, Lee et al.,

Looks like Dave's answered the query re shelter. It is a bit exposed up there, but the scrub should give a bit of shelter. Good luck!

I've just found some more LTBs in Sussex, so locals might want to keep an eye on my diary. Just off to Bournemouth and London for the weekend, so I won't be able to reply to PMs or emails until Monday.

BWs, Neil
brian laney

Post by brian laney »

I would be interested to know if anyone sees any Long Tailed Blues over the weekend at Kingsdown. I would love to come down and see them.

Brian Laney, Northamptonshire.
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

brian laney wrote:I would be interested to know if anyone sees any Long Tailed Blues over the weekend at Kingsdown. I would love to come down and see them.

Hi Brian,

Good luck, we are just about to leave Cornwall for the trek! Hopefully we will succeed & get at least 1 sighting; a chance not to be missed!
Cheers,
walpolec

Post by walpolec »

lee3764 wrote:[We are just about to leave Cornwall for the trek!
Hope you remembered your passports! :D

All the best for the trip and fingers crossed it's a successful one for you!

Chris
walpolec

Post by walpolec »

brian laney wrote:I would be interested to know if anyone sees any Long Tailed Blues over the weekend at Kingsdown. I would love to come down and see them.

Hi Brian, it's good to see someone else from Northants posting here! I too have thought about going down to see the LTB's but unfortunately commitments mean it isn't going to happen for me. (Still, at least our county featured in the Clouded Yellow boom last month. :) )

All the best if you do go!
Chris
mud-puddling

Post by mud-puddling »

Hi Lee, been following your posts with interest; hope you get your quarry today as it’s a very long way for you to travel! I’d be interested to hear how you got on as I am thinking of visiting the site myself this week. I’ve been searching for many hours in Sussex but have had no success to date (over 10 hours looking) – then typically this week I went away with work only for 2 to turn up 10 minutes from my home. Gutted is an understatement! Cheers, Leigh
Susie

Post by Susie »

Hi to the people I met at kingsdown leas today.

I won't bore you with the details but conditions were not favourable and I didn't see any long tailed blues nor did anyone else I spoke to.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Really sorry to hear that Susie. Hopefully one will turn up closer to home for you.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Susie wrote:Hi to the people I met at kingsdown leas today.

I won't bore you with the details but conditions were not favourable and I didn't see any long tailed blues nor did anyone else I spoke to.
I can certainly sympathise Susie, I know how it feels to travel a long distance and not see anything. The weather is being rather unhelpful at the moment. I hope you manage to see one soon.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Oh Susie,
That's so frustrating - sorry to hear you didn't manage to see one :cry: ...Yet!
I really hope there are still one or two tucked away there somewhere - and that Lee and his family get to see one today if they get chance to visit before their long journey back to Cornwall.
The forecast suggests sun and 18C or so (although a bit breezy) in Dover, so the chance is still there to be lucky.

Trev
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Had a pleasant but frustrating day at Kingsdown Leas. Met many nice folks, good to meet you Susie.
Helen and I were there from around 8-30 when the weather was less windy with some sunshine until around 15-30 when it was much duller with some high winds. We searched the area thoroughly along with several others and managed to find Adonis Blues including one quite fresh male, Common Blue and Speckled Wood but no LTBs.
I did find my first Great Green Bush Cricket but this didn't make up for missing out on LTB.
The talk of collectors raised its ugly head and according to the gents who run the Kent BC website a collector had taken 4 specimens on Friday. If there were only 4 or 5 specimens around during the week and at least two collectors have visited the site that we know of, its not surprising we didn't find anything.
I hope there is further emergence and that the lovely folks we met yesterday have more luck in finding them. If anyone does find any of these great little butterflies anywhere else please let me know vie PM or my website as I would hate to advertise their presence to the unscrupulous BA****DS who either kill or take them home to breed and sell at entomological trade fairs.
Now praying for more sightings and fair weather next weekend.
Over and Out.
Cheers Paul

Post by Pete Eeles »

Paul Wetton wrote:The talk of collectors raised its ugly head and according to the gents who run the Kent BC website a collector had taken 4 specimens on Friday.
Thanks Paul. Do they know who, specifically, this was (just PM me if you know!)? I do find it odd, though, that collectors are able to do this will so many genuine enthusiasts around to "catch them in the act". The behaviour of collectors really gets my goat for all of the reasons given earlier in this thread. Selfish beyond belief.

It will be interesting to see if any British Long-tailed Blue turn up at the AES Exhibition in a couple of weeks' time.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “Sightings”