September 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: September 2013

Post by David M »

badgerbob wrote:I just hope the netters that were seen in Kent keep away from here.
Any nets should be broken if seen. I can't believe there are people who wish to collect this butterfly.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

David M wrote:Any nets should be broken if seen.
Surely it depends what they're being used for! i.e. what the context is.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

It's hard to imagine any 'context' in this instance except that of 'bag this rare migrant while we have the chance'.

Why would anyone else be netting them? They're readily identifiable (so there's no need to capture them in the same way as one might on a site where, for example, PBF/SPBF, DGF/HBF or Essex/Small Skippers fly together).

The only plausible motive would be for a 'capture and mark' exercise. Were this to be the case, then given the current stratospheric level of interest to the general butterfly enthusiast of this species' presence in the UK, it would be noted that such an exercise could certainly not be undertaken without such enthusiasts becoming suspicious of the presence of net wielding individuals at those sensitive sites identified by these same enthusiasts.

Accordingly, any such intent to conduct such an exercise would be advertised in advance in order to avoid potential misunderstandings, and, given the connections of some of the contributors on this site, this information would be disseminated so that people like me would KNOW that there was a possibility of encountering people with nets at the site and that they would be there for perfectly acceptable reasons.

In the absence of such information then the default mode will continue to be that there are unscrupulous people wishing to collect these rare insects. In such cases, I personally reserve the right to destroy any equipment they use to do this.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

I should have read the previous page of this thread first! Didn't realise you were referring to the combination of "LTB + nets" where I agree that the presence of a net is highly suspicious to say the least!

Cheers,

- Pete
James M

Post by James M »

As the season is winding down I wasn't expecting to see many butterflies now. But today the last few remaining buddleia flowers are covered in small tortoishells! At least 10-15 at any one time. They're all in pristine condition so I assume a brood nearby has just emerged, to appear all of a sudden.
David M

Post by David M »

Sigh! Yet another weekend where the sun stubbornly refuses to come out.

In spite of that, I still spotted four Red Admirals on various buddleia bushes on my way back from the Post Office along the canal path.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Saturday 28th Mull Warm sun with 20C in some spots.

Only butterflies were two or three Peacocks and this Red Admiral.

It spent over 40 minutes nectaring on these reddish flowers (a type of Sedum?) in someone's garden. Good garden plants it would seem. Anyone know what they are?

Jack
web4160

Post by web4160 »

Visited the gardens at Dunham Massey near Manchester earlier today. Temperature was 21c and quite a few butterflies to be seen.

Most common were Small Totroiseshells with 6 in total being seen. Others were Speckled Wood - 3, Comma - 2 and singles for Red Admiral, Large and Small Whites.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Just noticed on Hants BC sightings page Swallowtail larvae in Chichester garden - the miracle summer continues :D
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

For the record (or not!), Revd Richard Greatrex sent me a photo of a pupating Swallowtail larva in his garden in North Somerset (BS48 3QJ). The caterpillar was on the edge of patch of fennel which was 6ft tall. I sent the details on to BC (Richard Fox) who seemed a little unconvinced that this was a genuine migrant. Anyway, the larva pupated on 26th August on a loose stone brick about 6cm above the soil and reasonably exposed and the butterfly subsequently emerged on 26th September. Photos below.
1.JPG
2.JPG
Cheers,

- Pete
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The Somerset individual? Britannicus or gorganus? Looks a bit pale for the English race to I would hazard a guess that if gorganus. The larva feeding on fennel also points to gorganus and thus it is most likely a genuine immigrant.

Apologies about the soil on my fingers - been gardening. Hope it doesn't show too much on this posting :D. But my keyboard is now grubby :o

Jack
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

:)

That's definitely gorganus, Jack.

Cheers,

- Pete
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely day for the butt end of September in Swansea today. Highs of 20c, although a little breezy.

Sadly, I was at work for much of it, but I did get chance for a half hour stroll along the canal path at about 4pm.

I have to say, I've NEVER seen buddleias so profusely in flower so late in the season before. The way things are going, I feel confident that there may still be a few sprigs in bloom in early November!

So, the butterflies are ignoring the flowering ivy right now as their favourite nectar source has yet to be exhausted.

It was quite a show at the canal side - in a mere half hour I counted 36 Red Admirals, 20 Small Tortoiseshells, 6 Small Whites and 2 Commas!

With the weather showing no signs of cooling appreciably in the next week, I'd expect this spectactle to continue for a while.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

At about 13.00 today I visited Brading Downs in temperature of 25C in the sun.Six species seen:
Speckled wood, chalkhill blue, small copper, red admiral, common blue and small heath. Not a bad tally on my birthday!!
Later on, when photographing a rather lovely pink rose I found a small copper nectaring inside the flower. How sweet!
Ian
Attachments
Small copper nectaring in pink rose!.jpg
Small heath.jpg
Small copper ab.caeruleopunctata.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Ian. A most impressive ab. caeruleopunctata Small Copper.

Isle of Mull (Glengorm) produced sevarel Peacocks and two Speckled Woods today, 29th September.

Jack
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Whilst out walking today, I disturbed a (I think) Clouded Yellow which was then taken away on the breeze and over a hedge, so I didn't get a close look. Would this have been an offspring of the August invasion?
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Yes, if it was a Clouded Yellow you saw dilettante, then it would have been the offspring from the August invasion. Dave Millerd photographed one in the middle of last week.

All the best, Nick.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Mynydd Du (Black Mountain), Carmarthenshire. While out hill walking today I counted eight Small Tortoiseshell and approximately a dozen Whites on the wing at an elevation of about 2500+ feet above sea level, the wind was seriously strong at this height and carried a rather cold edge to it, nevertheless these butterflies battled against it or used it to their advantage, most were seemingly heading west. I'm no longer surprised to find butterflies far higher up than they supposedly need to be, they use the elements to their advantage remarkably well as the many migrants encountered during this wonderful summer has proven.

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

this weekend in our garden, we had a lovely Red Admiral, comma and speckled wood all in lovely condintion. All loving the Verbena plant.

Been catching up with all the fabulous diaries :)

Debbie
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Last Sunday was my birthday and as it was sunny I decided at about 13.00 to visit Brading Down on the Isle of Wight where I live. I saw the following:
Chalkhill Blue (2), Common Blue (2), Small Copper (2), Red Admiral (1), Small Heath (1), Speckled Wood (2)
Someone else the same day reported from the same site the following:
** reports from Brading Downs (SZ597869) where the following observations were made: Meadow Brown (54), Marbled White (41), Common Blue (3), Chalkhill Blue (52), Speckled Wood (1), Small Skipper (2), Small White (22), Large White (26), Peacock (1), Comma (2), Painted Lady (2), Brimstone (1), Small Copper (1), Clouded Yellow (1).
This seems suspicious as it will be the latest sightings on record for both small skipper and marbled white for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
Am I right to be suspicious?
Ian

Return to “Sightings”