County Council doing their bit

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

County Council doing their bit

Post by Gruditch »

Some regulars on here may remember me mentioning Danebury Hill, Danebury is an iron age hill fort in the care of Hampshire C C, and is just two miles from Stockbridge and Broughton Downs. H C C have also purchased the two adjacent fields to Danebury and are in the long process of turning them back to meadow. With the addition of these two fields its become a good sized site, that will hopefuly improve over the years. Lisa and Myself have been recruited to do a transect walk next year and I antisipate 30 species will turn up during the season, not bad I think. So well done to H C C and the Hampshire Wildlife Trust its nice to have something positive to say in the conservation section :D .

Gruditch
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

Well done you guys and the CC, I'll look forward to seeing your reports....at least I hope you'll keep us all updated 8)
Regards Mike
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Yeah - excellent work! I wish more CCs were as enlightened!

Cheers,

- Pete
eccles

Post by eccles »

Warmley Forest Park near Bristol is another example of local authorities working with environmentalists. It's a large area of former semi-industrial use with a bit of farmland thrown in. Some of it is planted as mixed woodland, some is left as heathland and some is now being turned into traditional hay meadow. There is also a large pond that is fed by a stream so it never dries up. It's early days yet with the trees only about ten years old but there are thriving colonies of marbled white, essex and small skipper, and I saw a small heath there for the first time this year. I've seen ruddy darters, common darters, migrant hawkers, brown hawkers, southern hawkers and emperor dragonflies around the pond.

Return to “Conservation”