Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mark,
Park at TR379478 (easy) and then walk up the concrete steps to your immediate south, taking you up onto the cliff-tops and LTB Land.
6 - 7 Long-tailed Blues active today. Good luck.
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks so much for the prompt reply.

You have been so helpful,as always.

Cheers!

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sussex Kipper wrote:
Neil: It is unlikely they would move northwards from the site, given the relatively small size of the population and weather conditions. Certain triggers are required to encourage migratory behaviour.

BWs, Neil
Thanks for the reply Neil, I thought that would most probably be the case. A bit of wishful thinking really.

All the best,

Neil.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Neil,

It's much more likely that they will think about heading south as the days shorten ... back to mainland Europe. :cry: :cry: :cry:

BWs, Neil

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi Neil,

It's much more likely that they will think about heading south as the days shorten ... back to mainland Europe. :cry: :cry: :cry:

BWs, Neil
Nooooooooo!

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

No favourable winds over next few days for them to go back south; winds in fact should be from east and southeast so more arrivals on the way :P

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More Long-tails

On Tuesday (24th September) I spent another 6 hours on Kingsdown Leas, where quite a crowd had gathered to enjoy the Long-tailed Blues. Matthew & Sally Oates and UKB members Trev Sawyer, Dave Brown, Pauline and various spouses, along with some very nice folk I haven't met before, were all treated to great views of this spectacular little butterfly. There was a bit of a scramble when it came to photography, so I sat back and left others to it, being more than happy with the images I've already got. I would say that 6 or 7 Long-tailed Blues were seen throughout the day by various observers, although I could only be certain of increasing my personal tally by 4. Rather more surprising than the sighting of another LTB was a mint condition Small Blue!
UKB Small Blue Kingsdown Leas 24.9.13.jpg
Later in the day, following a lengthy flat spell, a group of enthusiasts gathered along the edge of a large garden in front of a spacious bungalow. The lovely couple who own the property were very generous in allowing us to observe the 3 LTBs which had outrageously decided to provide a multiple garden 'tick'. There can be no better argument for leaving an area of lawn in a more natural state! They even stopped the annual cut & collect to allow the LTBs to chase each other and the resident Chalkhill and Common Blues for the rest of the afternoon. I later emailed them some images as a memento.
UKB Wild lawn, Moonraker, Kingsdown Leas 24.9.13.jpg
On Wednesday (25th September) I headed over to the cliff tops at Birling Gap (near Beachy Head) to search for more LTBs, following the recent sighting by B. rex. On this occasion my luck ran out, but it’s always a pleasure to walk through this spectacular landscape. In the 2 hours I was there I watched about half a dozen Red Admiral head out to sea.
UKB Birling Gap 25.9.13.jpg

millerd

Post by millerd »

What a difference a couple of days can make, Neil. Conditions were far less benign, and despite Jack's forecast, the wind was very definitely in the northeast down there today!

Your photos are just amazing - and having seen them I was able to be 100% sure of the one I saw today. :) Brilliant.

And how on earth did you conjure up a Small Blue? Five different Blues at a UK site must be a record...

Dave

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

millerd being cheeky!
...and despite Jack's forecast, the wind was very definitely in the northeast down there today!
Local effect no doubt - or observer error :evil: But still from an easterly quarter!

Neil. LT Blues presumably can't tolerate even the slightest of frosts. But I would imagine that right on the coast of that part of Kent, frosts are quite rare before December. So any chance do you think of another generation of LTBs in late October/early November?

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,

Nobody has found any eggs yet (recent period), which is surprising given that home-grown (wild) females have been on the wing in the UK since 18th September. If none are found over the next week or two (and of course they might be), I think we will be able to make some assumptions, based on circumstantial evidence, regarding behaviour and reverse migration.

BWs, Neil

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Sussex Kipper wrote: On Wednesday (25th September) I headed over to the cliff tops at Birling Gap (near Beachy Head) to search for more LTBs, following the recent sighting by B. rex. On this occasion my luck ran out, but it’s always a pleasure to walk through this spectacular landscape. In the 2 hours I was there I watched about half a dozen Red Admiral head out to sea.
It just goes to show how lucky I was Neil, somehow I managed to be in the right place at the right time for a change :shock: They are definitely few and far between here in Sussex. I do hope I get lucky one more time and 'perhaps' get myself a better photo, I know I'm being greedy :lol:

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Boeticus Annus Mirabilis

This incredible year for the Long-tailed Blue continues. Just before midday I stopped at a site I've looked at perhaps ten times since early August, having noticed the large quantity of Broad-leaved Everlasting Pea along the road verges and over rough ground around the derelict (but still operational) Beeding Cement Works near Shoreham (TQ19910869). This time I got lucky and I saw 2 female LTBs in a quite short period of time. Having spent many hours in Kent looking at this species, these were my first in Sussex.

One was newly minted and the second was in fair condition, fully tailed, but had a slightly 'nibbled' fringe. The best example flew north over a hedge, heading towards some of the large clumps of pea growing along the roadside. The second specimen flew over the security fence but was visible for well over an hour, resting during cool periods and occasionally nectaring on ragwort and pea flowers. This gave me time to make a few 'phone calls and a string of visitors were able to enjoy the butterfly. While there Pete Varkala found a female Brown Hairstreak, providing a rare combination!

If visiting: Please do not block the track leading up to Cliff house - this rough track is a private driveway. There is only room for two cars in the 'layby' at the grid ref given, without causing an obstruction. Parking is available around Dacre Gardens, a couple of minutes walk further up the road (north). Please do not venture up the track/private driveway or cross the private lawned area to its left. Please do not attempt to climb the fence - this is an active industrial site. Please do not ask Dudman's staff if you can enter the site - they will not allow this on H&S grounds.

BWs, Neil

P.S. Please note I am away all weekend in London so will not be able to answer PMs or emails.
UKB LTB fem, Beeding Cement Works 27.9.13.jpg
UKB LTB fem 2, Beeding Cement Works 27.9.13.jpg
UKB Beeding Cement Works habitat 1, 27.9.13.jpg
UKB Beeding Cement Works habitat 2, 27.9.13.jpg

PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Congratulations Neil, I doubt that I shall ever see a better LTB photo than that open wing shot :D
You should also be able to save a few bob on petrol now!
Phil

IainLeach
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by IainLeach »

agree, stunning photo

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

PhiliB wrote:Congratulations Neil, I doubt that I shall ever see a better LTB photo than that open wing shot :D
A fantastic find and a perfect shot :mrgreen:
Does anybody need a front cover?

Regards,

Vince

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

As it is unacceptable to collect these butterflies, surely it would be OK to collect Everlasting Sweet Pea seeds and sow liberally along the south coast?

Many, many, years ago in Kipperland (Worthing) when the Kipper was probably still in short pants. I found a blue fluttering over a council flower bed on the sea front. “Ah ha” I thought. “Perfect place for a Long-tailed Blue.” It was not the sort of habitat to expect a Holly Blue.

An even “nearer miss” with LT Blues occurred on the coast at Aldeburgh Suffolk some five or six years ago. Near the sailing club was an Everlasting Sweet Pea complete with blue butterflies fluttering around it. Finally LT Blues in England :D. I scrambled down the steep back to the bush only to find that they were Common Blues :( .

Jack

PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Vince Massimo wrote:Does anybody need a front cover?
I believe a chap called N. Hulme may be looking for one.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I believe a chap called N. Hulme may be looking for one.
I am privy to a back cover.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Phil, Iain, Vince and Jack. Bearing in mind the rarity of LTB, I can't imagine ever getting a better opportunity. A good image with which to conclude my 2013 diary, as I won't be chasing butterflies through October this year.

Jack: The ESP plant is regarded as a weed on good quality grassland, but I'd be happy to see more of it in gardens and on some brownfield sites. Sadly, the combination of factors needed to bring the butterfly to our shores is likely to remain a quite rare event for the foreseeable future, as we're a long way north of areas where it can live year-round. That said, LTB is almost certainly under-recorded and it is likely that many smaller influxes have been missed in the past. Perhaps we will all be more vigilant after such a memorable year.

BWs, Neil

Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Neil

If you do get out and check on any sites with LTBs please let me know as I fancy one more go at finding this species before the year is out. Any info on any sites where they are still being seen would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks

Cheers Paul

Return to “Personal Diaries”