September 2007 Votes

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.

Which entry would you like to vote for?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:28 pm

Gruditch
22%
Dave McCormick
No votes
Tom Ottley
No votes
Mike Young
13%
Marc Heath
No votes
sahikmet
No votes
Gwenhwyfar
44%
nick patel
No votes
Charles Nicol
No votes
jackharr
No votes
eccles
3%
COLIN BAKER
No votes
Dave Mac
No votes
padfield
6%
NickB
No votes
Trev Sawyer
6%
Paul Kipling
3%
Ian Pratt
No votes
Pauline
No votes
web4160
No votes
Darrel
3%

Total votes: 32

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

September 2007 Votes

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi folks. This thread is here to allow you to cast your votes for the September 2007 competition (see entries at http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... php?t=1637). You need to be registered and logged into the forums, where you'll be able to cast your vote for first place. Once you've voted, that's it!

Also - you won't see the current voting until you have voted!!!

This poll will run for 15 days.

So ... vote away!

Cheers,

- Pete
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

And the deserving winners are ...

1st Gwenhwyfar
2nd Gruditch
3rd Mike Young

I wouldn't want to be in the Gwenhwyfar/Gruditch house tonight :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

It's been suggested that some commentary/feedback be provided to all entrants - so here's mine. Feel free to chip in!

Gruditch - Technically excellent. Which is why you're in the top 3!

Dave McCormick - Amazing shot. A shame I only had one vote! One of the most unusual shots I've ever seen - so well done. I once nearly grabbed a shot of a White Admiral and Red Admiral in the same frame - and failed. So well done!

Mike Young - Excellent composition - love the backlighting. Again, technically superb.

Marc Heath - Wonderfully atmospheric!

sahikmet - Great shot - with both upperside and underside shown, which is very difficult to shot with this rare species!

Gwenhwyfar - Since you won - what can I say? My favourite shot!

nick patel - A good shot of a declining species. Shame about the shadow across the forewing. I would also have cropped the shot a little tighter on the subject.

Charles Nicol - Another superb atmospheric shot. I feel like I'm there!

jackharr - Definitely different - so I commend you for that!

eccles - Another technically-good shot.

COLIN BAKER - Great composition. Possibly more-saturated blues and reds (maybe my monitor!) would work better.

Dave Mac - Nice shot. Shame about the damaged wing.

padfield - Another "different" shot! has a lot going for it, but it was a tough competition this month!

NickB - Good composition - possibly a better "angle" would be better?

Trev Sawyer - very nice shot which I like a lot!

Paul Kipling - Technically excellent. Nice work!

Ian Pratt - Ditto. I preferred the underside to your entry :)

Pauline - nice shot of a rare critter. Well done! Shame the head is missing from the photo.

web4160 - Technically excellent - but I prefer more-natural surroundings!

Darrel - very nice shot. Again, you had stiff competition this month.

In conclusion - seems like the combination of art and technical execution won this month!

Cheers,

- Pete
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

Many congratulations Lisa, a resounding and very deserving win, technical excellence coupled with a terrific composition made this a clear winner for me, my vote was yours !

Gary, on another day this shot would have walked it, technically spot on, with stunning colour, if I'd had two votes yours would have had my second one.

Thanks to the voters for my third placing, I am totally chuffed to take this position up against a very high standard generally, and in the company of two corking winning images.

Dave McCormick, lovely shot of the two, good colour.

Tom Ottley, very nice shot, great colour and sharpness.

Eccles, great shot, love the atmospheric lighting.

Ian Pratt, I liked your underside shot the better of the two, though your entry was very good.

Thats all for now, will do some more commenting on the others shots later.

Well done all :)
Regards Mike
Denise

Post by Denise »

Congratulations Gwenhwyfar on winning this months competition. I voted for you because I thought your image was just stunning.

If I could have cast three votes, the other two would have gone to Gruditch, your Adonis was brilliant, and Mike Young, Your pic as always was totally beautiful.

A lot of the other entries were also very good including, to mention a few, eccles, Dave Mac, Dave McCormick, Marc Heath.

The standard this month was very high and a big well done to everyone to took part.

Well done Pete for giving a breakdown of your views to the individual photographers. It's very encouraging to have positive feedback for the people who posted really good shots but didn't get a vote.

Denise
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Oh poo, not even close :cry: .
There were some very good pics this month, I personaly voted for Eccles, as I've been trying all year to get a Speckled Wood, to sit for that kind of shot.
Congrats go to Mr Consistent Mike Young, always in the mix. Thank you to the people who voted for me :) .
"This is going to be painful" Well done Gwenhwyfar / Lisa, a truly classic image one of the best I've seen.
Now if you'll excuse me I have some sulking to do :cry:

Gruditch
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

OK, so I don't get any votes yet, still, keep trying! Anyway:

Gruditch - Nicest looking Adonis Blue shot I have seen so far

Tom Ottley - Nice Adonis Blue

Mike Young - Very Atmospheric, looks cool.

Marc Heath - Nice shot, pretty good

sahikmet - Great shot, nice to see upperside and underside

Gwenhwyfar - Definate great shot! I can definatly see why you won!

nick patel - Nice shot, and yes, it is a bit of a shame about the grass shadow on wing, but still, I like it

Charles Nicol - Love the comma, very atmospheric

jackharr - Very different to say the least, good commendations for doing that!

eccles - Another good shot

Dave Mac - Great Painted Lady, love the underside colours, very nice!

padfield - Yes, a different shot, good anyway, but there was a lot of compotition

NickB - I found this intresting because of the angle the shot was taken, good anyway.

Trev Sawyer - Yes, a really great comma underside, I liked this one a lot when I saw it, excellent

Paul Kipling - Nice shot, very well taken

Ian Pratt - Nice Map, although the underside shot I thought was better.

Pauline - Shame you could not get all the butterfly in, but nice shot anyway.

web4160 - I liked this, but I do prefer natural surroundings

Darrel - Great strong colours, I like this one
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Congrats to Gary and Mike.
"This is going to be painful" Well done Gwenhwyfar / Lisa, a truly classic image one of the best I've seen.
Steady on, are you feeling ok!! :) Am I allowed to have the last word for once, and call it quits with all the rivalry stuff?
Well I’m going too any way!! Since you have been mean to me on several occasions - and if you remember last night when someone said, what do you win, and you’d said bragging rights, well here it is – HA, HA, I WIN!!

If I could have voted for anyone it would have been yours (happy now!! :) ) but as you know, it’s against our rules to vote for each other.

Many thanks to everyone who voted for mine and congratulated me, the Female Common Blue was a real star. I was just using my elbows as support, when I took this shot; I had to ditch the monopod, as I couldn’t get low enough or get the right angle.

Great shots all.
Jacqui Jay

Post by Jacqui Jay »

I'm sorry I don't have time to comment on all the entries but I just wanted to say congratulations to the winner – it was great to see all the entries and I hope to be able to enter future competition (although verrry nervous after seeing the standard of photographs).
Jacqui

To know is nothing at all, to imagine is everything. Anatole France
Chris

Post by Chris »

Congratulations Gwenhwyfar... it's beautiful. When I saw Gruditch's Adonis posted first, I thought he had it sewn up! Mike, I loved your pic too... it's the sort of pic I strive for when I'm lying down in the grass, soaking wet, snapping at blues!

I'm really pleased that for a few months now, photos that would stand on their own in any competition (butterflies or not) are winning.

Maybe I was a bit jealous :oops: , but I was a little disappointed that in earlier rounds, it seemed to be a competition to see who could get the rarest, closest or sharpest. For me, while these things are important, I judge thinking... "If I had a blank canvas and a paintbrush, would i choose to paint that?"
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

Thanks Chris, I understand completely where you are coming from :)
From my point of view, being relatively new to the world of butterflies, my prime aim has been to get good sharp close ups of as many different insects as possible, so these are what I have most of in my collection, and this will be reflected in many of my competition entries, now that I've got a good number of the more common ones I feel I can think more about capturing alternative views and compositions, hopfully achieving an "arty" shot along the way rather than just a record.
Regards Mike
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

well done to the winners !!

thanks very much to Pete & Dave for your kind remarks about my entry

Charles
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Chris I think your right, people can get obsessed with close up sharp shots, I know I have been. Before I got my Macro lens I was very frustrated that I just couldn't get a shart pic. So when I got my Macro I went full frame, sharp mad. Now that I've managed a few shots that are up to the standard that I was looking for, I may go a bit "Arty" Myself. :D

Roll on next year, Gruditch

Return to “Competitions”