Butterflies in October!

Discussion forum for sightings.
nickupton

Butterflies in October!

Post by nickupton »

I was happy to find a few butterflies today on my walk along the River Hull in East Yorkshire. It was quite sunny this morning, about 16 degrees C, and I came across 4 Large Whites, 1 Small White, 1 Small Tortoiseshell and this Red Admiral basking in the sunshine upon a log.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Nothing that special, but enough to lighten the depressing thought of putting the clocks back later this month!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Here in North Yorks this afternoon there were x3 commas, x6 Peacocks, x1 small Tort, x1 Speckled Wood & x2 red Admirals..... though it's getting cold!!!!!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

My garden, South Cambridgeshire 3 October 1600 hrs under totally overcast skies (as it had been all day) with temperature 16 degrees, very active Red Admiral. I saw one a couple of years ago flying in bright sun with frost on the ground and air temperature just 2 degrees.

Do they ever stop?

Jack
nickupton

Post by nickupton »

Went back to the same site (Eske/Pulfin Fen, East Yorkshire) yesterday afternoon, but cloudier weather and stronger breeze resulted in just 1 Small White, although I did see good numbers of Common Darter Dragonflies.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

OK, here where I am I only saw: 4 Small Tortoiseshells, one flew past so fast I had no clue what it was but think it was a small tortoiseshell to. One flew into a building and I noticed one must have got through our open window and open breeding cage door, as I found a small tortoiseshell in it, think hibernating as its colder in that room than outside.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
nickupton

Post by nickupton »

On thursday (4th October) I got these pictures of a Small White. In the same location I also found a Small Tortoiseshell, a Large White and a Red Admiral basking in the sun.

It's getting chilly here in East Yorkshire now, but it seems there are still enough sunny patches for a few butterflies to sunbathe in!

Image Image Image Image
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I live in the mountains at about 1300m and essentially it is all over here, even though it has been quite warm recently. Red admirals and clouded yellows are still flying, but apart from that I have seen about 3 small whites, one common blue, one Berger's clouded yellow, one painted lady and one small heath since the beginning of October. This clouded yellow was on 3rd:

Guy
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

1 Meadow Brown and 1 unidentified butterfly flying fast and low on White Sheet Hill, Wiltshire, today; at least 1 white seen at the roadside.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

One small copper today in Mountstewart here, nothing else did I see.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Will

October Butterflies

Post by Will »

Today there was a Large White and Small Copper in my back garden, and I saw Small White and Red Admiral in a small remnant dune area at the North Dock, Llanelli. :lol:
Will
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Speckled Wood still flying on 11 October in S.Cambs.

One seen at Fowlmere reserve.

Jack
Jacqui Jay

Post by Jacqui Jay »

On Attenborough reserve in Nottingham today were a couple of Commas and a Speckled Wood; something very small and orange flashed across my vision, not a skipper – could it have been a small copper this late in the year?
Jacqui

To know is nothing at all, to imagine is everything. Anatole France
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

17 October @1330 hrs. South Cambridgeshire - one Small White.

Jack
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Jacqui Jay wrote:something very small and orange flashed across my vision, not a skipper – could it have been a small copper this late in the year?
In Suffolk (where I come from originally), 3rd brood small coppers frequently fly into November, so yes - it could have been one!

Guy
Paul

Post by Paul »

17th Oct in North Yorks.. x2 Red Admirals, x1 Speckled Wood & x4 Commas. Hanging on in there!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Out walking and spotted a few red admirals, a pair of speckled woods, one of which looked very tatty. Plus a couple of commas basking in the afternoon sunshine.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Two mile amble in about 1.30 hrs along Icknield Way, South Cambridgeshire produced 10 Small Whites including on one occasion, three together. A brassica field adjacent to the track was getting some attention!

Jack
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

While putting a Rabbit fence around my veggie plot this Painted Lady suddenly appeared, it posed for a few piccies and then continued on its way, have also seen Large White and a Comma in the last couple of days.
jellyang

Post by jellyang »

We had a beautiful Sunny morning here in Norfolk today so I ambled across the road to the churchyard to see what was fluttering around.
I was rewarded with 2 small speckled wood and 12 Red Amirals. :D
The Red Admirals all looked in pristine condition apart from one with a bite size chunk out of one wing! They were all happy feeding and basking on some Holly blossom.

Amazing how a few flying friends can brighten an October day!

Angie
Will

Post by Will »

Today in the St Davids area of Pembrokeshire:

23 Red Admirals
4 Peacock
4 Speckled Wood
1 Small White
1 Painted Lady

A glorious day in beautiful countryside.

Magic. :D
Will

Return to “Sightings”