September 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
selbypaul

Re: September 2013

Post by selbypaul »

I was at the same location as Guy on Friday. Virtually the whole of Suffolk was under cloud, but on the coast it was warm sunshine. Saw three Clouded Yellow's and managed to take my first ever good photo of one.

Was in Woodbridge nearby at lunchtime and saw a huge butterfly in a tree. If it had been July I'd have sworn it was a Purple Emperor or White Admiral. But it's early September, so I guess it must have been a Red Admiral.
Butterflymax

Post by Butterflymax »

If anyone in the Midlands has yet to see many Small Tortoiseshells this year, they could have done a lot worse than visit Tamworth railway station last Sunday. There are numerous buddleia bushes adjacent to Platform 2 and there were dozens fluttering about, even outnumbering the whites by about 4:1. I managed to get some photos with as many as four specimens in, plus one decided to pose on the platform fence for me. It seems increasingly hard to believe that I didn't see a single ST in 2012. :D
Attachments
2013-09-01-020C-D5000-Tamworth_railway_station-Small_Tortoiseshell.jpg
2013-09-01-019C-D5000-Tamworth_railway_station-Small_Tortoiseshell-x4.jpg
2013-09-01-016C-D5000-Tamworth_railway_station-Small_Tortoiseshell-x4.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

They're certainly very common in south Wales right now. Let's hope they're bouncing back after a fraught couple of decades.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I've just had a quick visit up to Frog Firle at the back of Seaford where I found a Meadow Brown ab. semi alba. I followed it for some time hoping to get an underside shot of it but everytime it landed on a flower spike it was the normal side facing me. In the end I managed a couple of record underside shots before it flew to the top of a bush to roost!! Fortunately it posed quite nicely for some open wing shots.
Attachments
Meadow Brown ab. semi alba
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Found this old Brown Hairstreak in one of my clients gardens today. I had spotted one there a few years ago, but wasn't sure if it was resident, or a wonderer from the near by colony. I think there are a few more sites in Hampshire than people believe. :D

Regards Gruditch
old hair streak.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Gruditch:
Found this old Brown Hairstreak in one of my clients gardens today.
Keep digging Gary and you never know what you might unearth :)

PS. Send me a PM please on how to stop slugs getting into my kitchen.

Jack
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Close the door faster :D

Gruditch
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Gruditch wrote:Close the door faster :D

Gruditch
:lol:

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

badgerbob wrote:I've just had a quick visit up to Frog Firle at the back of Seaford where I found a Meadow Brown ab. semi alba. I followed it for some time hoping to get an underside shot of it but everytime it landed on a flower spike it was the normal side facing me. In the end I managed a couple of record underside shots before it flew to the top of a bush to roost!! Fortunately it posed quite nicely for some open wing shots.
Hi Bob - the definition of semialba is "Two thirds of the ground colour of all four wings entirely white, the borders normal colour". From a separate post: "Individuals that exhibit (possibly extensive) patches that appear "bleached" are referred to as pathological forms, which occur more commonly in some species than others. Looking at the literature, the Meadow Brown seems particularly susceptible (and I suspect many members will have come across an individual that has one of the four wings paler than the others). It's unclear of the root cause, but a deformation of the scales during development has been suggested by Ken Wilmott [Entomologist's Record and Journal of Variation, Vol. 109, 1997, p.148].".

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Slugs
There seems to be a degree of flippancy in the responses to my request for advice about slugs.

I understand that a saucer of beer is a potent attractant and if nothing else, the slugs die with a smile on their faces.

What is the best type of beer: Lager, Pale Ale, Brown? And are any particular brands more effective than others? One of my favourites is Wadworth of Devizes but that of course is not available in Scotland. McEwan’s heavy aka 80/- IS available here, but if slugs have the same discerning taste as I do, then they will avoid that particular brew.

More advice please.

Jack
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Jack Harrison wrote:Slugs
There seems to be a degree of flippancy in the responses to my request for advice about slugs.

I understand that a saucer of beer is a potent attractant and if nothing else, the slugs die with a smile on their faces.

What is the best type of beer: Lager, Pale Ale, Brown? And are any particular brands more effective than others? One of my favourites is Wadworth of Devizes but that of course is not available in Scotland. McEwan’s heavy aka 80/- IS available here, but if slugs have the same discerning taste as I do, then they will avoid that particular brew.

More advice please.

Jack
Hi Jack, you could try using a strip of copper around your door, slugs and snails can't stand it, apparently it irritates their foot so it's very effective as a barrier. Not tried it myself but I've been told that it's effective.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I had to spend the last few days in London but returned to Suffolk last night and headed out to the coast this morning. A grayling crossed the road ahead of me so I stopped at the next suitable place and soon found a second one:

Not peak condition, but nice to see anyway.

On the coast, small whites, green-veined whites, clouded yellows, small tortoiseshells, small heaths and common blues were flying in a rather strong westerly wind.

Common darter and migrant hawker dragonflies were numerous. This is a migrant hawker:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hi Pete, Thanks for your comments on the Meadow Brown. I will have to look harder!!!
I tried today locally and found several Small Coppers flying once the sun appeared all too briefly. I think I have seen more Small Coppers in the last 2 days than I have seen all year, and yesterday I only saw 1. Probably 5 today though, all pretty fresh as well. The biggest surprise though was when the only Wall Brown I saw flew past, it looked quite fresh so I gave chase and when it settled it was much fresher than any I've seen for well over a week. It was a female and settled a couple of times, the best position was interrupted by a fly landing on it just as I was approaching though!!
Attachments
Small Copper
Small Copper
Female Wall Brown
Female Wall Brown
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

badgerbob
[the Wall Brown] was much fresher than any I've seen for well over a week
Third brood presumably.

I have over the past few days (not today though - dreich* since just after dawn) noted an increase in GV White sightings here on Mull. Weather this past summer has been very reasonable so maybe GV Whites are unusually for these parts have a partial third brood.

*Dreich (Old Scots origin)
A combination of dull, overcast, drizzly, cold, misty and miserable weather. At least 4 of the above adjectives must apply before the weather is truly dreich.

We had five today - it wasn't especially cold.

The old adage was correct: "Red sky in the morning.....". This was from the bedroom window at 0645 hours.

Jack
A_T

Post by A_T »

Some splendid Speckled Woods have emerged in the last few's days - their strongest presence this year.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Isle of Mull 14 September – Scotch Argus still flying.

Just had a phone call from wife having lunch at top of 2498 foot Beinn Talaidh (professionally led climb up third highest peak on Mull). She saw one Scotch Argus near the base of the mountain and close views of White-tailed Eagles near summit. I'm jealous but I couldn’t manage that climb. She puts my fitness (lack of) in perspective. Ugh.

Just popping out to see if I can find a Scotch Argus at low level!

Jack
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Having spent most of this year been happily green with envy at all the sightings of the CY :mrgreen:

I was gardening on Saturday and the weather suddenly brighten up and I was visited by a super tortoise shell and peacock, then a speckled wood and then suddenly this chappie (is it a male?) the most beautiful Brimstone.

I was filthy with making a new woodland border area at the bottom of the garden, but I rushed in and got my camera.

I have managed to add the Brown Argos and Swallowtail to my new sightings this year, and next year I am determined to add more.

When the Brimstone was in flight the colour was stunning buttery yellow.

The white caterpillars have nearly finished eating the plants they laid there eggs on, should I worry about what they eat next?????

Most of the caterpillars are the same apart from one that was earlier to all these and just a plain pale green colour? it had disapeared when I went back to photograph it, but it was big and fat. I wonder what this would have been?

Debbie
Attachments
IMG_8602a.jpg
IMG_8594a.jpg
IMG_1212a.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

[caterpillar] plain pale green colour
Almost certain Small White, far less destructive to crops than its bigger relative.

Jack
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Thank you Jack.
petet100

over 40 speckled woods

Post by petet100 »

Today on ground next to the farmhouse over 40 speckled woods were sharing late sun and brambles before the rain arrived. has anyone else seen large group of these normally territorial beasts in one place? Extraordinary sight. Southern Anglesey

Return to “Sightings”