Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: hideandseek

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some great images in the past few posts Nick and some really interesting close ups :D

All the best,

Neil F.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Have to agree with David and Wurzel about the great condition of the Large Skipper Nick :D

Mike

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thanks David, Wurzel, Neil and Mike for your comments, appreciated as always. :D :D :D :D

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

26th August, continued...........

As i mentioned earlier in my post the Brimstones were feeding up for their long winter ahead in hibernation, and were so approachable, being able to get my camera in their face. One individual decided to get in my face whilst i was photographing a female, which was my main objective, getting a nice picture of the fairer sex of this species. All i had to do was slightly turn the camera and press the shutter button down,
26.8.13 CW 070-1_1.jpg
and as you can see, she was certainly in my face..... :D
Here are a couple of female Brimstones i managed to photograph....
26.8.13 CW 063-1_1.jpg
26.8.13 CW 102-_1.jpg

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

26th August, continued....

And last of all a couple of male Brimstone to make the day complete.
26.8.13 CW 080_2.jpg
26.8.13 CW 129-2_1.jpg

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Absolutely stunning photos Nick :D but at this rate you'll still be on the 26th August at Christmas :wink: :D

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lush photos Nick :mrgreen: :D But the close up is just something else :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Nick, have just seen that as I was interrupted when posting my response to your Brimstone photos, I somehow managed to leave out the final part :oops: WHICH WOULD BE GREAT :D :D
Not quite the same impact now I know!

All the best

Mike

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Wurzel and Mike [twice] :wink: for your kind comments, very much appreciated. :D :D But i should thank the Brimstones as well for making it so easy for me. :D

So here goes Mike...just for you.... :wink:

26th August, continued...

I mentioned earlier in my post that i saw a female Wood White ovipositing, the latest i have ever witnessed this. Here is a photo of that egg laid on Bird`s-foot Trefoil.
26.8.13 Wood White ovum CW 180_2.jpg
I kept an eye on this ovum over the coming days, the change of the colouring of the egg until it eventually......But all that is in the future... over a weeks time.. or is that the past now.... :roll: :wink:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just love your close up Photo Nick, it's fantastic :D Goldie

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Nick,

Lovely Brimstone images and that close up looks incredibly cute :D

All the best,

Neil F.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Goldie and Neil for your lovely kind words. :D :D The close-up shot was handed to me on a plate, and as luck would have it i had the appropriate lens on my camera to make the shot. There is that rare occasion when everything goes right for you, and this was one of them. :D

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

3rd September...

Another visit to my local patch on another glorious sunny day produced good numbers of butterflies old and new. The Speckled Wood just out numbering the Whites, and as i walked along the track this beautiful male Speckled Wood, dark form, landed in front of me, begging me to take it`s photograph.
CWSpeckled Wood, male, Dark form 011-1_1.jpg
Then on the way back to the car just slightly further up the track this one, probably the same one, offered itself up for a closed wing shot.
CW Speckled Wood, male 278-1_1.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Nick, the second one has a lovely autumnal glow :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Wurzel for your kind comments. :D :D Its not often i get to photograph them as they always see me coming and either disappear into the tree tops, or just move further down the track and when i approach them again, they double back on me. :evil:

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

12th September...Long-tailed Blues..

I declined from posting these photos when i first found this beautiful but rare butterfly to our shores simply to to protect them from possible predation by butterfly collectors.Now other people have seen and photographed them i felt the time was right to post. They were found on the south coast whilst i was visiting family, and i will not be disclosing their where-abouts for their own safety, and to live their short lives as they should, in the countryside, not pinned to some board. Since finding a lovely female, photos below, i have photographed a male at the same site two days later. It was such a thrill to see them here and i hope others like yourselves will get the opportunity to enjoy this rare and beautiful insect............
Long-tailed Blue, female 054_28.jpg
Long-tailed Blue, female 052-2_1.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Are there REALLY still people out there who wish to capture, kill and mount for purely cosmetic reasons?

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi David,

People still collect eggs when all you have to do is photograph them for the record, but with some people a photograph is not enough they want the real thing, and the same thing applies with butterflies. It is a real shame that this kind of thing still goes on today, but it does and, probably always will.

All the best, Nick.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely cracking shots Nick :D And I'm enjoying them all the more as this could be as close as I get to them :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Lovely LTB shots there Nick, I hope I get a crack at one :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”