essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: essex buzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

WELCOME TO CORNWALL!

On Friday 16 August,we went to Cornwall,staying for a few days,before moving on to Dorset. Driving through rain,mist and drizzle on the way,was not a good start. But it was forecast to improve from the west and,sure enough,by time we got to Kynance Cove on the Lizard,the sun was shining!

We enjoyed the spetacular scenery for a while,and then took a slow walk to Lizard Point,Britain's most southerly point. We soon began to see abundant Common Blues, Large and Small Whites,Clouded Yellows,second generation Small Pearl-border Fritillaries,Meadow Browns and Walls,and by the time we had arrived at Lizard Point,we had also seen Small Copper,Painted Lady,Red Admiral,Small Tortoiseshell,Peacock,Green-veined White,Grayling and Gatekeepers.

Near Lizard Point,a sheltered valley,full of fleabane,was attracting many butterflies,including more Clouded Yellows,Small Coppers,Common Blues,Walls and various vanessids. A worn Dark Green Fritillary was present,too,unusural at this site.

On the coast,the lovely autumn squill was reaching its peak,and several of the Small Pearls and Walls were feeding on it.
The Cornish heath,found only here,was in full bloom,as were the other heathers.

On the bird front,Cornish chough were seen as well as several kestrel,buzzard and stonechats.
Attachments
kynance cove
kynance cove
clouded yellow
clouded yellow
common blue
common blue
painted lady
painted lady
small pearl bordered fritillary second brood
small pearl bordered fritillary second brood
autumn squill
autumn squill
wall female
wall female
small copper
small copper
cornish heath
cornish heath
Last edited by essexbuzzard on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Saturday was a wet day,but by Sunday,the weather had improved,so we took a walk accross some of the west Cornwall moors. The heather and western gorse were in bloom,but butterflies were thin on the ground at this high level,although Small Copper and Common Blue were seen.

However, a nearby farmyard was home to some butterfly bushes,or Buddleija,and these were attracting all sorts of interesting things. As well as the expected Small Torts,Peacock,Painted Lady,Red Admiral and Large and Small Whites,several Walls were feeding,and also Clouded Yellows-now i would be pretty pleased to find these on my butterfly bush!

After enjoying these butterflies,we took a walk on the coast path from Penzance station to Long Rock,with the splendid St. Michael's Mount to the right. Again,whites were abundant,and several more Clouded Yellows were seen,icluding helice. Common Blues,common around this coast,were noted,as well as Small Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral.

After,there was time for a late afternoon trip to Chapel Porth. Unfortunately,it had clouded over by then,but we still enjoyed a few hours walk along this spectacular coast path,to St. Agnes and back,seeing ravens,buzzards,kestrels and a family of stonechats.
Attachments
clouded yellow
clouded yellow
painted lady
painted lady
clouded yellow helice
clouded yellow helice
wall
wall

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Monday 19 August.

Today was changeover day,as we leave Cornwall,and head up to the Isle of Purbeck,in Dorset. However,on the way, there was time to pop into Greenscombe woods. This is where the Cornish Heath Fritillaries fly in early summer,but now it is good for a variety of common species.

Clouded Yellows,Large,Small and Green-veined Whites,Small Coppers,Common Blues,Peacocks,Painted Lady,Small Tortoiseshell,Red Admiral,Silver-washed Fritillaries,Meadow Browns and Speckled Woods were all seen. Though many were present, the Silver-washed Frits were getting a little worn by mid August.
Attachments
peacock
peacock
silver washed fritillary
silver washed fritillary

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely photos, Buzzard. I particularly like the SPBF on the squill - I always wondered how the second brood managed without any Bugle to feed on!

Dave

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Seconded Buzzard, lovely shots and a very nice find in the second brood Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary.

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great reports Essex :D Cheers for reminding me about Greenscoombe Wood and it's Heaths :D Great shots, my fave is the Helice as I've never seen that form :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great report and photos eb, looks like you had a great time in Cornwall :D
millerd wrote:Lovely photos, Buzzard. I particularly like the SPBF on the squill - I always wondered how the second brood managed without any Bugle to feed on!

Dave
When I was in North Devon back in June I saw loads of SPBFs at Marsland which were nectaring mostly on Buttercup and flowering Thyme, in fact I didn't see any Bugle around the spots where I looked. I have also seen SPBFs nectaring on a variety of flowers in the Wyre Forest although there that did include Bugle.

Cheers,

Neil F.

David M

Post by David M »

Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary SECOND BROOD has to go down as a notable sighting!

Excellent spot!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks guys for all your kind feedback!

David,while i would like to claim that i am brilliant,and that the second brood SPBF were the result of very hard work,i have to say that it is common for SPBF to fit in a second generation in west Cornwall in most years-why they do here and nowhere else is a mystery to me! But it is to my great pleasure that they do.

Dorset Day One

A glorius blue start meant a pre-breakfast walk. Staying at Lulworth Cove itself was a definate advantage,because we had the rather splendid Bindon Hill next to us! Chalkhill Blues were showing nicely,opening up while i watched,to warm in the early morning sun,so to were several Marbled Whites,some a bit worn by mid August.Walls were common and at one point i had 4 males spread out,a few yards apart,in front of me,on the chalk path.

That early walk had been so productive we,in the event,spent the whole day in the area,leaving the car behind. Back on Bindon,things were warming up,and Common Blue and Brown Argus were quickly seen. In the long grass,high over Lulworth Cove itself,was a late Small Skipper and then what we hoped for-some Lulworth Skippers. On the hill,more Walls and a Grayling. As the heat increased,a Brimstone and Clouded Yellow appeared amongst abundant Large and Small Whites. Small Coppers were near the bottom of the hill,with Gatekeepers near the bushes.

Then we walked to Durdle Door and back,which turned up Walls,Marbled Whites and another Greyling. Late afternoon found us back at Bindon, where,near the back of the hill,some hemp agrimony was attracting Peacock,Small Tortoiseshell,Red Admiral and a Painted Lady.

Ravens were frequently seen. One was doing its upside-down display flight. Several Kestrels and peregrines were on the coast path. A great day,in splendid scenery.
Attachments
dorset 13 ukb pt1 002a.JPG
dorset 13 ukb pt1 003aa.JPG
dorset 13 ukb pt1 004a.JPG
dorset 13 ukb pt1 005a.JPG
dorset 13 ukb pt1 006a.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff from my home turf Essex :D Did you see any Lulworths in and around Lulworth perhaps it's more of an early area? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Wurzel,yes we did-about a dozen,perhaps-in the long grass on the clifftop right over the cove itself. But they were mostly on their last leggs here. At Durlston,on the other hand...

DORSET DAY TWO

Another walk before breakfast produced clumps of Brown Argus and Common Blues in the long grass,with some Chalkhills including a fresh female. Marbled Whites again in evidence,as were Meadow Browns,Gatekeepers and Walls,with whites allready in flight.

Today we made our way to Durlston Country Park,Swanage. We had a very productive time here,with many highlights. However,the numbers of Lulworth Skippers here was excellent,with some very old males together with some nice fresh specimens. We must have seen a hundred which,of course,represents only a tiny percentage of the total colony. Never seen so many,right across the site,great to see!

We walked on to an area where Small Blues can be found,clocking up Walls,Meadow Browns,Gatekeepers,Whites,Common Blues and Clouded Yellow on the way. Sure enough,several wery worn adults were found near the bushes,bang on target!
They were a bit fresher last year,though,suggesting that things are now slightly ahead of 2012. They were still active mind-having frequent squermishes with a Brown Argus and Common Blues. Nearby a single Adonis Blue was holding teritory. Further on,Small Coppers,Marbled Whites and Small Heath were seen. Several Dark Green Fritillaries were also watched as they sped though,before we left the site mid afternon.

There was still time for a short outing somewhere else,so we went to nearby Ballard Down,visible from Durlston. However,getting to the other side of Swanage,in peak tourist season,is never quick! We eventually parked in the layby next to the 'welcome to Swanage' sign,and headed onto the lower slopes of the down. Frshly emerged male Adonis Blues were in good numbers,many resting in the long grass,ahead of roosting,at the botton of the slope,and Common Blues,Brown Argus,Walls,Speckled Woods,Small Torts and Clouded Yellow were seen as well. Some of the Adonis showed nicely,as they opened their wings wide,to catch the dying rays of the sun.

Photo's to follow.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Photo's from Durlston:
Attachments
chalkhill female at bindon
chalkhill female at bindon
brown argus,durlston
brown argus,durlston
common blue,durlston
common blue,durlston
durlston country park
durlston country park
lulworth skipper,durlston
lulworth skipper,durlston
dorset 13 ukb pt2 007a.JPG
adonis blue at ballard down
adonis blue at ballard down

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

DORSET DAY 3

It was a very warm,sunny day today,so we had a choice,go to the beach and relax,or go to Alners Gorse...we went to Alners Gorse!

We had never been here before,but found it easily. However,we didn't know which areas would give us the best chance to find the Brown Hairstreak. Certainly,they feed on bramble and lay their eggs on young blackthorn,so we searched some suitable looking areas,without success. Then we met a couple of gentlemen who suggested an area near where they had already seen one.

Almost immediately,we found a female,which quickly took off,but we managed to follow it untill it landed on a blackthorn,where there were two more-three on the same bush! They were not easy to photograph,though. All were showing signs of wear,and they would not stay still,even for a few seconds,instead they constantly crawled up and down the blackthorn twigs,looking for egg laying places. There have been some great photo's of BH comming onto these forums this year. Guys,i don't know how you do it,but well done,the pictures below are the best i could manage.

Moving on a little,we saw Brimstones and Clouded Yellows-and then Wurzel-great to see you again! We enjoyed watching various Nymphalids and Small Coppers feeding on a patch of fleabane,then Wurzel took us to a branble where he had seen a male Brown Hairstreak much earlier-it was still there!

By now it was 3PM,the end of the BH day,so we said goodbye to Wurzel,and opted to go back to Ballard Down,where the blues were begining to rest up for the evening. We actually found a large clump of mainly Brown Argus in one area,with a few Common Blues. In other areas,Adonis Blues were dominant,again with a few others,including now a few female Adonis. We took our photo's and then left them to settle down for the night in peaceful surrounings. :)
Attachments
brown hairstreak female
brown hairstreak female
dorset 13 ukb pt3 002a.JPG
brimstone at alners gorse
brimstone at alners gorse
brown hairstreak male,alners gorse
brown hairstreak male,alners gorse
brown argus
brown argus
two adonis males at ballard
two adonis males at ballard
adonis female
adonis female

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Some nice photos. :D :D
Last edited by Nick Broomer on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

walpolec

Post by walpolec »

Hi Essex

I really enjoyed reading about your experiences in Cornwall. We often visit my sister in Penzance (we're in Northants) and it was interesting to know what could be seen if you're in the right place at the right time! We visited Kynance Cove in August a couple of years ago and I got the feeling that it had the potential to be a very productive site. Unfortunately it was cloudy the day we visited so nothing was on the wing.

Maybe next year..

Chris

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report and shots Essex the male Brostreak in particular :D I really like the Kung Fu pose 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thats the one we saw,wurzel! I've cropped it but,given the distance,i think it's come out quite well. :)

Hi walpolec,nice to hear from you. There are some great sites for butterflies,and wild flowers near Penzance,especially near the coast out toward the Lizard and Lands End,but also inland. If you need any advice,feel free to drop me a PM-i would be delighted to help.

DORSET DAY 4

This was our last day on the beautiful Isle of Purbeck. With a cold front heading towards us,today was expected to become cloudy. So we decided to walk from Ballard Down to Old Harry Rocks,to make the most of the early warm sunshine. We arrived at Ballard,and imediately lots of sparkling Adonis Blues,and a few Common Blues and Brown Argus were seen. We enjoyed these for a while,then turned right and started to make our way along the bottom of the down. As we progressed,Adonis started to peter out,and other species were seen. A Small Copper,nice and fresh,was holding its place,and then several Lulworth Skippers were seen,together with a very worn Small Skipper. I was pleased with the Lulworths in particular,as i don't always see them here,they were a bonus!

As the vegetation got thicker,more browns appeared. Meadow and Hedge Browns were abundant here,with some Speckled Woods. Green-veined White was also seen. Then the footpath started to go up,back into the open and past some hemp-agrimony,which held blues, Small Torts and a Red Admiral. Near the top of this hill,the path flattens out again,and here several male Walls were basking in the now weakening sun. Small Heath were nearby,too. As we walked toward the rocks,there are great views back towards Swanage on a clear day,unfortunately it was very hazy today. Up here the two cabbage Whites,Large and Small,were abundant,as lots of wild cabbage grows on this coast. On the flat field,just above Old Harry Rocks themselves,several Clouded Yellows were flying around,nearly all males. Plenty of clover and trefoil grows in this field-caterpillar foodplants for CY.

We stayed up here,enjoying the sights and sounds-as were many other people-for an hour or so,before slowly making our way back down. It was cloudy by now,but still warm. But nothing could have prepared us for the spectacle thay awaited us in the long grass at the bottom of Ballard Down. Because now,all the mint condition Adonis Blues had congregrated here,wing open,in the grass. The numbers were truely staggering! Hundreds! Thousands! Everywhere we looked,there were blues. In every direction. We were surrounded! Ten there,twenty there,and so-on,all across the site. All just waiting to have their pictures taken! They were here in numbers the day before,but not like this! Still were few females,suggesting they had yet to reach thier peak. I would shudder to think of the extraordinary numbers that may have been here a few days later. Every now and then,the sun would come out again,and all these blues would rise up,in a flurry of blue wings,before settling down again. So we spent our last couple of hours simply enjoying this amazing spectacle before,as thicker cloud at last arrived and,one by one,the Adonis closed their wings,and the spectacular sight came to an end.

But what a sight! And one that will live long in the memory! :D :D :D

I got a bit carried away with the Adonis pictures,for which i make no apologies!!!
Attachments
dorset 13 ukb pt4 006a.JPG
dorset 13 ukb pt4 008a.JPG
dorset 13 ukb pt4 013a.JPG
dorset 13 ukb pt4 014a.JPG
dorset 13 ukb pt4 017a.JPG
dorset 13 ukb pt4 016a.JPG
dorset 13 ukb pt4 020a.JPG
dorset 13 ukb pt4 021a.JPG

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

What amazing pictures. Those Adonis Blues are beautiful. We don't get any of the butterflies in your last couple of posts up here. I feel like our butterfly season is just about finished here. I wonder what the job situation and house prices are like in the south of England!!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Sorry Nick,as a northern butterfly enthusiast,reports like this must be irritating for you. You really should try to get a break down here in mid to late August some time. It's a bit easier than moving house!

But we don't have the scenery that eastern Scotland has,and i havn't seen a Scotch Argus for years! And you have the white spotted Northern Brown Argus,which is (still!) on my wish list!

Cheers!

millerd

Post by millerd »

That is an almost unbelievable spectacle you've described there, Buzzard! Adonis Blues are beautiful individually, but to see such numbers, all shining in the sunshine... :) The photos are brilliant too, but I imagine they only capture a tiny bit of what you saw and can remember.

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”