Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave, Hoggers and Nick for your kind comments:D I reckon you'll all get one next year :D I didn't have a clue as to the identity of the plant the CY was laying on Nick but Essexbuzzard came to the rescue on that one :wink:
Cheers Dilettante for your kind comment, the chance encounter certainly made up for the frustration of the Cloudies :wink: :D
Cheers Neil :D Fritillaries do manage to hold on don't they, but they don't look their best for long do they :? Still always good to see :)
Cheers the kind comments and for the plant ID Essex :D
Cheers Mike :D :D Hopefully the CYs will be around for a while yet

Alners Gorse 22-08-2013

Part 1
Another day of luxury having “ticked” off all the species I was could possibly find. I should have been at work over seeing the GCSE results but it does eat into my holiday and ruin the last couple of weeks. Also with the contradictory expectations (OFQUAL – exams have to be harder and there shouldn’t be more and more pupils attaining higher grades each year, OfSTED – schools should get higher grades each year :( ) and the fact that all of the exams were made harder this year as well as having the grade boundaries raised, it wasn’t going to be a pleasant experience! I’ll deal with the outfall in September. Also weather forecast wise it was looking to be one of the best days of the week with the lowest wind speed, lowest chance of rain, highest temperature and with a favourable mix of sunny intervals which would allow photography of Clouded Yellows should I find any. Bearing all this in mind I decided to set out for Alners Gorse with the idea of trying Fontmell Down should the Gorse prove disappointing.

On the drive down I kept checking the sky and rather than the cloud and intermittent sun I was hoping for it was already wall to wall and inside the car it was baking hot. “Oh well if the Clouded Yellows give me the run around then I have the Brostreaks as a back-up” I thought as I started my way downhill down the avenue. There were a few whites fluttering around and the odd Meadow Brown but I was surprised how quiet it was. Something caught my eye and thinking it was a pair of Gatekeepers in cop I approached one of the Bramble bushes that lined the path. As I moved in one Gatekeeper flew away leaving behind what turned out to be a Small Copper. They’d been feeding on the same blossom one facing up and the other down but both facing the outside, hence the illusion of a pair in cop.
015 - Copy-001 (2).JPG
After a little time with the Fuzz I realised that it was really starting to get warm and so I thought any chance of a Clouded Yellow was starting to wane so I dragged myself away and turning left at the bottom I worked my way along the hedge checking the hedge to my left for Brostreaks and scanning the open areas on my right for the tell tale mustard speedball that is a Cloudy. I reached the gate and checked the area that I’d been lucky at last year but despite a Peacock, Comma and battered Silver Washed adding to the whites, Meadow and Hedge Browns there it was pretty quiet, even the birds were hushed. So I went back to the gate and made my way to the central path and upon reaching it a Yellow bombed past upsetting whites and a male Brimstone on the way. So I’d seen one, now to try for a photo or three.

This particular butterfly seemed to really like the yellow flowers growing in profusion in clumps or strips across the site and so whilst it was flitting from one group to another it was pretty “settled” by Cloudy standards and I was able to follow it reeling off shots as well as making a much closer approach on a couple of occasions. It was hard to stick to the normal “three disturbs and leave it rule" as I wasn’t too sure how many times it moved on because I’d disturbed it or because it was just being a Cloudy. Also it wasn’t going far and the few times I did get close in I watched it feed on a flower, then walk to another and so having polished off all the nectar available it moved on. Eventually it decided that it had worked over all the flowers in this one clump and so it took to the air, went high and was gone from my vision. I was happy with the shots as they included my “stained glass” and close-up (smile) and judging by the silhouette I’m guessing this was a female.
037 - Copy-002.JPG
059 - Copy-002.JPG
060 - Copy-002.JPG
063 - Copy-002.JPG
079 - Copy-002.JPG
086 - Copy-002.JPG
Yellow in the bag I then went looking for that other autumnal colour, Brown so I made my way back to the gate and the area I’d seen it in the previous year. Another butterflyer from Leicester joined me and as we chatted we noted a Comma, Red Admiral, GV White, Brimstone, Peacock as well as a couple a piece of Gatekeeper and Meadow Browns. A few jinking, orange things made some passes quite high over head, flitting from treetop to treetop but I couldn’t be sure that they were actually Brostreaks. Moving back slightly towards the gate the brambles open out slightly and again the same orangey things flitted about high up. This time when I saw them I felt much more confident that they were Hairstreaks as their flight was similar to that I’d seen on Brostreaks at Shipton Bellinger and also White Letters at Secret Squirrels. As we were thinking of making a move I saw a familiar orange shark fin, cutting across the Bramble blossom. There at about chest height only 1 meter away was a Brostreak. How long it had been there is anyones guess, probably all the time I’d been there but because of their habit of wandering across blossom and feeding on all sides of the flower it had eluded observation. From the more honey like colour I reckoned it was a male. After about 10 minutes of concerted feeding here it took off and I followed it as it moved back to where we’d originally been waiting for it.
116 - Copy-002.JPG
128 - Copy-002.JPG
There it is, further away now...
There it is, further away now...
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Splendid Yellow pictures, turning me green, Wurzel! And the Brown Hairstreak too. Your observation on the feeding pattern of the Yellows matches mine - they fly for miles and then have a pit stop, moving from flower to flower in close proximity before whizzing off on another long excursion. Catching them refuelling is the trick, and they are so easily disturbed. Try it on the 45 degree slope of Aston Rowant...

Lovely images - they look terrific with the sun shining through them.

Dave

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel

Your Clouded Yellows from Alners Gorse are superb :D I particularly like the backlit ones, lovely :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave and Jack :D It seems that Alners was a good place to photograph them as when they went on one of their longer fast flights they couldn't actually go that far and there were plenty of nectar sources around, they were almost a captive subject. :wink:

Part 2...

Happy to have succeeded I made my farewells to my fellow observer and then we headed off to explore in opposite directions. I carried on following the path round through the undergrowth and on the way I had a little lunch on the hoof stopping every now and again where there were good nectar sources or where it looked good for Brostreaks. I saw a few more vanessids, more whites and Browns as well as another Small Copper and a very fresh Ringlet. Could this be a later brood as it was so fresh it still had the white wing edges? Once the path opened up it connected with the main path running through the middle of the reserve and I bumped into the bloke from earlier. So we joined forces and set off round the edge of the reserve. On the way round we encountered a few Blues, two Clouded Yellows as well as an aged Small Skipper and only a few Meadow Browns which I was surprised about. I also managed a four species shot – though it was a “three” when I took it, but closer examination at home revealed a fourth hiding away. On the far side another Small Copper and a Brown Argus were added to the tally for the day. There were very fresh Speckled Woods along the hedge and a Painted Lady that didn’t hang around for too long.
142 - Copy-002.JPG
157 - Copy-002.JPG
161 - Copy-002.JPG
166 - Copy-002.JPG
After a brief check on the male Brostreak from earlier which had remained in the same locale but had moved slightly further back onto the Brambles we once again said goodbye and headed off in different directions. This time I walked across the middle of the reserve with the intention of seeking out some more Clouded Yellows. Those that I’d seen through the morning had all shown a liking for the yellow flowers so I checked all the clumps and strips of these that I could. Eventually I reached the back edge of the reserve and there while searching around the large bramble bush I bumped into the bloke from Leicester for a third time (I think he was called Nick?). There was another Clouded Yellow here and it was posing nicely so I grabbed a few shots and then started looking around a large Bramble bush just off set from the path. I managed to get a few shots with the sun streaming through the closed upper wing and this time the silhouette lead me to believe it was a male.
173 - Copy-001.JPG
181 - Copy-001.JPG

This large Bramble bush held a grand assortment of butterflies – whites and the occasional Brimstone as well as a Small Skipper, Common Blue and then there were the Small Tortoiseshells, 9 in total along with 3 Peacocks, a Red Admiral and another Painted Lady. The Clouded Yellow also made a few visits to the yellow flowers around the base of the bush. However I went back to the Painted Lady and trying to get the classic closed wing shot from up close. As usual it didn’t keep its wings closed for long and I had to try and second guess where it would land and then focus in ready for the few seconds when it held its wings closed while starting feeding. This tactic seemed to work but it took a few attempts and a fair number of wrong guesses before I managed the shot I was after.
194 - Copy-001.JPG
195 - Copy-001.JPG
196 - Copy-001.JPG
201 - Copy-001.JPG
My companion of the day finally bade me goodbye and set off to check out some other Lanes on the way to Martin Down. This left me on my own and contemplating whether to stay here and try for a few more Clouded Yellows or with time ticking away and only another hour of Brostreak time remaining to try for them? As I was trying to work out what to do a familiar face appeared – Essex Buzzard and his lovely young lady all the way down in Dorset! After a good old chinwag covering all manner of aspects we set off along the scrub line looking for egg-laying Brostreaks, something I’ve yet to witness as all mine have been nectaring, basking or just sitting on a leaf. It seems that they’d been lucky with four different females but on our return journey it seems that they’d all finished for the day. Still there were still some nice butterflies around with another Small Copper, more Peacocks and a few Commas.
Once back at the original site where’d I‘d found the male he was eventually relocated and eventually made a few faltering flights coming barely into view. I’m guessing that this is his “territory” as he’d been occupying the area for pretty much all day? We helped another couple find it and again I was struck with the difference between butterflying and Twitching. We’re a hell of a lot more polite with “Have you got your shots, do mind if I step in” rather than just barging (for the most part) through and “Here you go take this spot you’ll get a better angle on it here” or “After you”, “No after you...”. Once we’d watched it put a few more people onto it I checked the time and realised that I had to make a move so as not to be late. So rather reluctantly I wished everyone a goodbye and set off up the hill. What a great day – great setting, butterflies, weather and company. It would probably be best to leave it there for the season and go out with a bang but there could be some other opportunities and who knows what there is still to see?
209 - Copy-001.JPG
217 - Copy-001.JPG
I never did make it to Fontmell Down...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great report Wurzel and stunning images :D f.helice next :?: :wink:

Mike

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Wow that is a fresh looking Ringlet :shock: nice find.

Best

J

David M

Post by David M »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:Wow that is a fresh looking Ringlet
This is most unusual to see.

I reckon you might be right about 2nd brood, Wurzel. After all, a male Orange Tip was reported from Carmarthenshire last week, so strange things ARE indeed happening right now.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Mike :D Here's hoping for a Helice 8)
Cheers Rex and David :D I didn't know if Ringlets had second broods but it does seem like the most likely explanation :?

Spetember

Back to work tomorrow, the summer is over for me...still the years shots will keep me cheered :D
09 Calendar 2013 Sep.jpg
Have a a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Great report and photos as usual Wurzel, especially your first Clouded Yellow and the male Brimstone taken into the sun, excellent. :D :D

ON a private note, i`m pleased to hear your daughter escaped any serious injury to her arm.

All the best, Nick.

Butterflysaurus rex

Fantastic diary and photos Wurzel, I've really enjoyed reading it, you've posted some wonderful images from a memorable season. I look forward to seeing and reading more of the same next year. :D

All the best.

J

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Another great report and write-up,Wurzel!

Great to see you again,and thanks for showing us where the male BH was-i doubt it we would have found it ourselves!

Your BH pictures from shipton are excellent, :mrgreen: of those!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for your kind comments Nick and your concern about my little girl is appreciated :D
Cheers Rex :D There's still a few more posts to go - I've been stockpiling them to get me into the winter months:wink:
Cheers Essex for your very kind comments :D It was great catching up and no worries on the Brostreak, share and share alike, like :D

The Devenish (bit of a mammoth one this, I did get a bit carried away... :shock: :oops: )

I was using the final few days of the holiday when not actually out or sat in front of a screen typing up data to try and get ahead ready for the next few months by starting my “Yearly Tally”. As well as sorting out the “first sighting dates” and making general notes I also started scribbling down ideas about targets for next year :shock: . One of those was to concentrate a bit more on the Blues as I’ve kind of taken them for granted over the last couple of years. It was a case of see and photograph the first one of the year and then (notable variations aside) they sort of made up the numbers and filled in time while looking for something else :oops: .

However I might need to change that after a trip to the Devenish last weekend. The girls were at their Nanny and Dad-Dads and my wife was busy so I found I had a few hours to spare. Even though it was fresher and duller than of late I headed off hopefully and within 20 minutes of leaving my house I was on site and making my way up the steep side of the down.

As I scanned across on first glance there didn’t seem to be much about, if anything. However the tiniest beak in the cloud cover was enough to reveal a little blue gem, glittering in the grass. Then I saw another and another and so on until eventually I could see 14 Adonis Blues, all males, all with their heads down and their wings three quarters apart. It looked like someone had been scattering sapphires across the Down. The sun disappeared again not to be seen for another hour or so and so the gems disappeared to be replaced instead with little specklie flags
119 - Copy-001.JPG
127 - Copy-001.JPG
132 - Copy-001.JPG
I then worked my way across the Down the line of trees at eh bottom was bordered by a ribbon of Hemp Agrimony and this was playing host to large numbers of butterflies. I did my best to ignore the Browns, Whites and the odd Small Tortoiseshell or Specklie as I was determined to focus on the blues. Luckily the cloudy weather meant that they weren’t flying far and the Hemp Agrimony was crawling with representatives from four species. The most worn, tired looking and faded were the Chalkhills although there were still one or two fresher butterflies. The Common Blues and Brown Argus showed the full range of wear and tear whereas most of the Adonis Blues were immaculate; I daresay that some were only just emerged. The photography was relatively easy and a nice change from being given the run around by Clouded Yellows. I simply tip toed up to a clump of the flowers, focused in roughly on the flower tops and then waited for the butterflies to come in to feed. After a minute or so they must have thought that I was just a shrub or tree and got on with their lives in front of me, regardless to my presence.
152 - Copy-001.JPG
161 - Copy-001.JPG
166 - Copy-001.JPG
184 - Copy-001.JPG
197 - Copy-001.JPG
Perhaps I should have left it there and headed home but I had a feeling that the sun would make an appearance and so I malingered for a bit longer, working my way up to the top of the down. Here it was slightly windier and there were fewer butterflies although the occasional Small Tortoiseshell would use the wind and would disappear past a great rate of knots. Whilst admiring the view across the whole of the Woodford Valley I caught a Small Copper fluttering by out of the corner of my eye. I followed it for a bit and it was buzzed by a smaller, browner butterfly – a Brown Argus. However on closer inspection it seemed to have some white instead of orange lunules. I didn’t know whether this was due to wear or was something to do with its development and the under wing shot showed that the orange was also lacking there too which suggested the latter idea might be the correct one?
221 - Copy-001.JPG
227 - Copy-001.JPG
Thinking that I’d sort it later I made my way to the other half of the down. This had more sparse scatterings of flowers and the turf seemed shorter and in places chalk poked through the thin soil and grass. Here Brown Argus were more prevalent and amongst the odd Chalkhill and slightly more numerous Adonis I counted 9 Argus. One had huge lunules reaching right to the tip of the wing and I’m not sure how usual this degree of variation is. I was also witness to some courtship behaviour. For 10 minutes a slightly battle scarred little male pursued a female to no avail. He’d land close to her, creep closer and a little closer still and then he’d buzz her with a rapid, almost hoverfly like flight. Unfortunately she was having none of it, presenting her abdomen and then making a short flight to try and get away from the pesky male.
241 - Copy-001.JPG
247 - Copy-001.JPG
252 - Copy-001.JPG
Feeling slightly sorry for the little guy I made a move back to the Hemp area to try for a few more Blues as now the sun was out and beaming strong I might be able to catch some of the electric blues.
273 - Copy-001.JPG
279 - Copy-001.JPG
302 - Copy-001.JPG
351 - Copy-001.JPG
362 - Copy-001.JPG
I’d almost had my fill of the blues and felt like I’d given them their fair share of time so I packed up and headed back down the hill. I was almost at the gate when I was stopped short. My way was blocked by a Small Copper. It was perched in a fantastic pose with the sun behind it streaming through its wings. It reminded me of the original Karate Kid when he was standing on one leg on a post ding Crane kicks. Awesome. It moved about a metre away to a different perching post and again adopted the same stance. It would have been tempting to have stayed some more time with it but I had to get on so I countered its Crane with Tiger Paw and quickly made my way through the gate.
368 - Copy-001.JPG
375 - Copy-001.JPG
I was almost out of the reserve when a Comma erupted after a pair of Small Torts disturbing three Speckled Woods in turn and all six butterflies bumbled around, spinning and spiralling in front of me, a fantastic spectacle to end my visit with. Perhaps they were reproaching me for ignoring them over the course of the afternoon?
Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Of all the Blues above, I like the female Adonis best. Quite a bit of blue, lunules that are almost red rather than orange, and a beautiful dark chocolate background. Not to mention perfect fringes. I just can't understand the indifference of the male butterfly right next to her... :)

Lovely pictures as ever, Wurzel.

Dave

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Cheers Rex :D There's still a few more posts to go - I've been stockpiling them to get me into the winter months :wink:
Great stuff Wurzel I look forward that :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I think she might have already put him in his place as she left shortly after I got the shot possibly to seek Mr Right :roll:
Cheers Rex :D Read on... :wink:

Mottisfont

Following on from the peaceful afternoon spent at the Devenish with all the blues the next day was the Bank Holiday and so a different kettle of fish. We all headed off to Mottisfont for a picnic lunch and a walk around the gardens as well as a look at the original Winnie the Pooh sketches. Once we’d rendezvoused with my parents we headed in an across the lawns to the copse by the back of the house. On the way I saw that the line of Lavender plants was attracting plenty of butterflies. As it was kind of on our way I had a quick look noticing two Small Tortoiseshells, a Common Blue, 2 Green Veined Whites, three Brimstones, 7 or 8 a piece of Large and Small Whites and a Clouded Yellow. It seemed to be hanging around this area so once we’d had the picnic and the girls were making the most of the space and running around like loons I took a gentle stroll up and down the Lavender to see what I could find. Unlike those Cloudies I’d seen before this individual didn’t stray far from the nectar source but it was still frustrating as it would only stop for a second or two at each flower. Once it reached the end of the row it flew around a bit before starting back at the beginning and working its way up the row again. My older daughter took a break from playing to enjoy it with her dad whereas my younger daughter kept trying to catch it :shock: :oops: . Luckily she wasn’t successful and it didn’t seem that bothered by her feeble attempts.
005 - Copy-001.JPG
023 - Copy-001.JPG
044 - Copy-001.JPG
046 - Copy-001.JPG
062 - Copy-001.JPG
073 - Copy-001.JPG
081 - Copy-001.JPG
099 - Copy-001.JPG
We then partook in the Winnie the Pooh exhibition in the house and the girls had fun finding and counting Hunny Pots and having tea with Kanga and Roo, Owl and Rabbit. After this and a refreshing ice cream we made our way to the Walled Garden and as we came through the gate I couldn’t believe the spectacle that met my eyes. There were whites everywhere, falling over each other on the Buddleias there and squabbling over the best spots. Four or five would talk off together and then tumble through the air to another source where they would put up a few more when they settled. To the left and right of me, behind and in front my vision seemed to be awash with butterflies. There were other species and I noted both a male and female Common Blue and many Small Tortoiseshells but for every one of these feeding on a Buddeliea here must have been 7 whites. Others have commented that there has been an explosion of whites and I too thought that there were definitely a load about but today I fully understood what they meant. The whole of the garden just seemed crammed with them. So much so in fact that I only took about 20 photos over the whole time I was there, I was more content just to stand and stare.
110 - Copy-001.JPG
119 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely shots in your last two posts Wurzel and some unusual ones too :o the Brown Argus with the large orange lunules and the one with some white, some orange :?: Great shots of CY on the lavender :D

Mike

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Excellent read as usual Wurzel, lovely shots of the Clouded Yellow, and from your previous post the Small Coppers with the stained glass effect, beautiful. :D :D

All the best, Nick.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Wurzel,

Just catching up again after my week down in Dorset, some great reports and photos, always a good read :D

Cheers,

Neil F.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Mike :D It was abs galore that day :D
Cheers Nick for your very kind comments :D
Cheers Neil :D Looks like you had a great time in Dorset :D

Martin Down 27-08-2013

After the family outing on the Bank Holiday I managed to squeeze in a few more visits in order to make the most of my last week before heading back to the grindstone. The first of these was to Martin Down with the girls which meant that I then had a other day in the bank. Once in the car park at Sillens Lane I asked the girls where they wanted to go. To the spring, along the top and then down to the hotspot or along the bottom track to the hotspot and back? They decided on the more leisurely route which I didn’t mind as the hotspot usually delivers the same return in range of species, just lesser in number.
Almost immediately that we’d started we stopped as a Holly Blue was on the Brambles in the hedge. It had lost the fringes and a section of the hind wing but I took a few photos of it as I haven’t seen many this year compared to last. It may be that my eyes have been peeled for other species but I can’t recall seeing them at the same range of sites? Slightly further along the path a familiar orangey cream butterfly was fluttering about and stopping occasionally to take nectar. Just like with Clouded Yellows I always make an effort to get a few photos of each individual I see as you can never be sure when you’ll next see one. As this has been a good year for both them and Clouded Yellows perhaps they’ll be scarcer in 2014?
026 - Copy-001.JPG
033 - Copy-001.JPG
Once at the hotspot we laid out the blanket, I poured a coffee and the girls got out their books and started reading and chatting. I left them to it and camera in one hand and coffee in the other had a quick mooch around. Straight away I checked out the “quarry” (an small area of exposed bare chalk) and it held a Large White and a Cloudy clinging to the white rocks. They looked alert, the white flicking it’s wings so I left them there and made my way towards the main path that runs along Borkerley and there were good numbers of blues still flying. The Chalkhills were looking a fair bit more tired than on my previous visit but the Adonis were still in good nick. There were also Small Heath, Brown Argus, Small Coppers and at one point three Cloudies again all spiralling upwards from the side of the ditch. As well as the various whites and Meadow Browns I also found a very heavily marked Brown Argus, a bit like the one from The Devenish, but with even more pronounced lunules.
039 - Copy-001.JPG
Heavily marked
Heavily marked
052 - Copy-001.JPG
We then decided to move the camp somewhere a little more shady so that the girls didn’t fry in the blazing sun and ended up on the other side of the shrubs of the hotspot. A small (deer?) track took me back to the area I’d nick named the quarry and it approached it head on rather than from the side so I carefully approached, a few steps at a time and then scanning ahead so as not to disturb any basking Whites or Yellows. Once again there was a Cloudy and fortuitously as I got within camera range the sun became covered by some cloud so I was able to approach it from the side and get really close in. As I was clicking away the sun came back out which gave me the benefit of witnessing the transformation in colour that occurs with different light levels as before my eyes it went from a limey lemony butterfly to one that was bright and vivid yellow.
076 - Copy-001.JPG
085 - Copy-001.JPG
I headed back to where the girls were camped and they asked me to have a go on the camera so keen to encourage their natural history photography I gingerly placed the strap over my older daughters head and let them loose. I never knew that there were bears and elephants living at Martin Down!
112 - Copy-001.JPG
Once my little muppets had finished arranging their teddies and taking up valuable space on my memory stick we started to make our way back but via the “tunnel”. This little area here has produced some really good butterflies over the last two seasons; last year there were Grizzlies and Small Blues everywhere and this year it allowed me to break my Green Hairstreak duck. It was much quieter this late in the season but the usual accompaniment were present with Adonis and Common Blues squabbling with the feisty little Brown Argus, whites galore, Small Heaths trying to trip me up along the path and Small Tortoiseshells showing well.
126 - Copy-001.JPG
127 - Copy-001.JPG
153 - Copy-001.JPG
Once out of the tunnel we were quickly back at the car and as there wasn’t a Valesina to keep us we made tracks for the nearest play park. “Another great day out and with another tomorrow to look forward too” I thought as I pushed the swing... :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Great read again with some lovely photos Wurzel, especially the contrasting pictures of the Clouded Yellow in shade and sun. :D :D Keep up the good work.

All the best, Nick.

Return to “Personal Diaries”