Kalkan, Turkey in September

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Kalkan, Turkey in September

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I'm lucky enough to be going to Turkey next week, to Kalkan.

Any sites visited will be pot luck really as I won't have a car but any idea on what might still be flying out there at this time of year? I'm quite excited!

Thanks,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Chris Jackson

Re: Kalkan, Turkey in September

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Lee,
I'm looking forward to seeing an interesting report.
Bring it on as it comes.
Chris.
David M

Post by David M »

I'm sure there'll be plenty to keep you interested, Lee, albeit end of season stuff.

Keep us up to date, please.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi lee
I just returned from Kalkan two weeks ago and just had the most fabulous time it is a beautiful village and the people are wonderful.
We stayed at the Patara Prince Resort On the south east side of the bay and I too had no transport. Sad to say the areas that I could easily explore - some olive groves Just south of the 400 highway - were a butterfly desert and I only had a brief glimpse of a brown despite several hours searching in 40c heat - I melted!
In the resort itself there was a good colony of long tailed blues around some pea like food plant and I watched copious egg laying to the amusement of other guests :D I also had tantalising glimpses of one or two scarce swallowtail that never stopped, and what I am certain was a Two Tailed Pasha that zoomed across the pool never to return.
The only other butterflies were small whites, a speckled wood and perhaps best of all a Pygmy Skipper that stood sentry on our gate post every afternoon.
I think I was a bit between broods and it was exceedingly Hot but I was a bit disappointed about numbers seen.
There does seem to be some great habitat up on the mountain slopes or be a mountain goat but you really need a car to get to them.
What I didn't appreciate was the stunning scenery - and habitat - to the north one of the mountains Uyluk Tepe is 10,000 feet.
I will be going back as the area is fantastic. Can recommend Field Guide to Butterflies of Turkey by Ahmet Baytas it's not brilliant but it's the only field guide for turkey as far as I am aware.
Do take some stout shoes if you can as the terrain is very rocky.
Have a great trip and I look forward to your reports.
Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks , Chris, David and Mark.

I've been through Tolman and even the end of year possibilities are impressive and to have TTP as a potential sighting is exciting to say the least!

Stout shoes will be packed, I've read it is hilly and indeed very beautiful. Mark, I will be a little north of where you were and even if I see anything it will be a lovely bonus.

I will of course, keep you informed :D (Although I have a few reports from this year to catch up on first!)

Best wishes,

Lee
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I can confirm Kalkan is beautiful - we would definitely recommend it and would happily go back.

Butterfly wise it was stunning for late in the season. Provisionally and before some ID requests, the following were seen:

Small White
Large White
Green Veined White
Swallowtail
Scarce Swallowtail
Long Tailed Blue
Holly Blue
Brown Argus
Small Heath
Meadow Brown
Great Banded Grayling
Freyer's Grayling
Plain Tiger
Southern White Admiral
Millet Skipper
Pygmy Skipper
Sage Skipper / Oberthur's Grizzled Skipper, maybe both
Mallow Skipper
Hummingbird Hawk moth
Leopard moth

Most were photographed too; a report and photos to follow :D

Lee

Return to “Overseas”