Choice of Macro Lens

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Chris Pickford

Choice of Macro Lens

Post by Chris Pickford »

Choice of macro lens has come up as a topic a number of times. Anyone buying a macro lens might like to check out the excellent comparison of six different 100mm (also 90mm) macro lenses in Amateur Photographer. This week contains comparative tests for Canon, Sony and Tamron, and a few weeks ago, the other leading contenders were also tested.

The tests are based on resolution, handling, distortion etc, also factors such as cost, weight and handling.

As the test points out, you don't have a lot of real choice of course if you are committed to one particular body!
phil childs

Post by phil childs »

Hi Chris

Yes I did see the AP issue with the Canon, Sony and Tamron lens, but I missed the copy with Nikon Sigma. Could I ask how the Nikon 105mm rated against the others. I'm thinking of buying the Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR, I did have a Sigma 105mm with my old Minolta 5D setup and was very pleased with the results. If the Sigma comes out better I think I will save my money and skip the Nikon.

Cheers Phil
Chris Pickford

Nikon 105mm VR

Post by Chris Pickford »

The Nikon came out as very good indeed, but of course, it is more expensive and has a lot more features such as the noise reduction. For the price, the Sigma was well rated.

Return to “Photography”